All Topics / Help Needed! / Co-ownership

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Profile photo of jomigsjomigs
    @jomigs

Hi everyone,

I own a unit with my younger brother in Melbourne.  We have owned it for a few years now since (him 20 me 24).  The time has come for me to get married and I am looking for a place with my partner.  My younger brother is moving overseas and we're planning on renting it out. 

My partner owns a small apartment on his own.  We would like to hold on to one investment and buy another to live in and thought his would be better as it will be ours outright and I only own half of mine.

My younger brother has offered to buy me out but I'm not really sure how that works and who would actually do this? the bank?

Has anyone else had this experience before??

Jo

Profile photo of FinSpecFinSpec
    @finspec

Your brother would have to come up with the cash to buy your half somehow – usually this will come from the bank.  It is really just him buying another half of the property, so it can be very straight forward providing the bank approves it.  He will have to have sufficient equity so that the total debt on the property is within the banks guidelines.

Whether you want to sell your half of not is really just a matter of what your overall investment and life strategy is – if you're looking at getting a PPOR in the near future, then freeing up some cash could be useful – however you have to consider things such as capital gains tax.  Another consideration is how good is the property as an investment?  Is it worth hanging onto?

Hope that helps in some small way, post back with more questions if you like.

Finspec.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

You will need a conveyancer or solicitor to help with the transfer too.

Maybe you could think about buying him out?

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of jomigsjomigs
    @jomigs

So is it really that simple to do just a matter of him gettng finance and legal to do the transfer?
    I must have just made it more complicated that it really is.

Will the bank value the property?

Participant
    @terryw

Well one partner is just buying out the second. So it will be just the same as buying a another property – you need to apply for the loan, bank assesses the applicant, does the valuation, gives the approval and then the solicitor changes the title. The only difference is negotiations between buyer and seller should be easier.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Ryan273Ryan273
    Participant
    @ryan273
    Terryw wrote:
    Well one partner is just buying out the second. So it will be just the same as buying a another property – you need to apply for the loan, bank assesses the applicant, does the valuation, gives the approval and then the solicitor changes the title. The only difference is negotiations between buyer and seller should be easier.

So apart from solicitor fees, you would also have to pay all relevant banking fees – loan application etc? What about the existing loans which are in both co-owners names? Are there fees for transferring these across to one of the owners?

Also, if this is just like selling & buying another property does stamp duty apply? Is it true you don't have to pay stamp duty if a person is selling the house for compassionate reasons? ie Selling to family member to assist their financial situation?

Participant
    @terryw
    Ryan273 wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

So apart from solicitor fees, you would also have to pay all relevant banking fees – loan application etc? What about the existing loans which are in both co-owners names? Are there fees for transferring these across to one of the owners?

Also, if this is just like selling & buying another property does stamp duty apply? Is it true you don't have to pay stamp duty if a person is selling the house for compassionate reasons? ie Selling to family member to assist their financial situation?

You would have to pay bank fees and some govt charges like discharge of mortgages etc. Banks may waive their fees if you are staying so this is worth negotiating.

Stamp duty will depend on the State that the property is located in. Generally stamp duty will apply unless it is the main residence – except, i think in Vic, where spouses can transfer investment properties between themselves without stamp duty. No such thing as compassionate discounts I am afraid.

Email Me

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I'm going to state the obvious here – you'll want to sell your half to your brother at current market rates, not what you paid for it when you first bought it.  You'll probably need to get a valuation to come up with a fair price, particularly since it is your brother that is buying from you.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Participant
    @ryan273

Who would be obliged to pay the stamp duty here? I'm in a situation with my bro at the moment where we've owned a house for about 4 years now and he wants to sell. House and loan in our name, and we also go the FHOG too. I want to keep the property so we are looking into me buying him out. A few questions:

– who would be responsible for paying stamp duty (if applicable)? I think he should because I'm not the one who wants to sell the house.
    – is there any complications with the FHOG being involved?
    – what is the best way to transfer house in to my name and pay out my brother?

Purchase price – $300k
    Mortgage owing – $275k
    Market value – $420k

Cheers,
    Ryan

Participant
    @terryw

Purchaser is responsible for paying the stamp duty. Its up to you to negotiate it or factor it into the price.
    You will need a conveyancer to do the transfer and need to talk to your bank about changing the loan.

Email Me

Profile photo of tiliabretonniatiliabretonnia
    @tiliabretonnia

My own experience in similiar situations backs up what Terryw instructs here.

Profile photo of Mcubed82Mcubed82
    @mcubed82

Hey Everyone

I am also in the middle of doing this and we are arent sure how to go about, or rather which is the better option

The place that my sister and I have has been valued at $400k, we paid $336k for it in aug 07

she has found a place that she is looking at buying in rockhampton, so I was initially going to buy her share out,

It is a 60/40 split (me 60)

after looking at buying her out I was going to be doing an injustice to myself , having to pay fees, stamp duty, cap gains etc

so atm we have it on the market to sell, but then we have agents fees

is there a way around this:? ie is there anything called a spousal deal? or something

keen to find out some info

cheers
    mel

Participant
    @terryw

You wouldn't pay CGT, she would as she is the one selling. You would just need to pay stamp duty and loan fees.

There is no spousal deals between sisters I am afraid.

Email Me

Profile photo of chookstar81chookstar81
    Participant
    @chookstar81

Hi Mel,

I've set up a business in buying and selling shares in real estate, i'm just getting the website built but it will allow someone to list a share in their property and people can offer to buy it. So you wouldn't have to sell the whole property if you don't want to, your sister could just sell her share. I'm working with people at the moment, let me know if there's anyway i can help you.

Charmaine

Participant
    @ryan273
    Terryw wrote:
    You wouldn't pay CGT, she would as she is the one selling. You would just need to pay stamp duty and loan fees.

Terry, would you have to pay stamp duty on the value of the house, or half of that as that is effectively the share of the house as you already own the other half.

I'm trying to crunch the numbers on my situation.. can someone please help me with this.

Property value (estimated): $440K
    Loan: $275K
    Equity: $440K – $275K = $165K

So I would need to refinance and pay out my brother $82.5K for his share of the house.

Payout: $82.5K
    Stamp duty: $20K
    New loan amount: $377.5K

So I would need to refinance the loan in the amount of $377.5K but this would leave me with LVR of 85.7% so I would have to pay LMI.

– Is all interest from the new loan tax deductible, including the extra amount borrowed for stamp duty?
    – Do I have to pay stamp duty on 100% of the value, or just the 50% that I am buying off him?
    – Is mortgage insurance avoidable in this situation? Potentially I could refinance to 80% and pay him the rest separately? Can you see any pitfalls in doing this?

It is becoming a really tough decision for me to make as going through with this is going to leave me in a very negative cash flow position (currently rented at $320/week) and will slow down my plans for future capital growth, plus the fact that I have to pay double stamp duty on the property which is ridiculous! I really think I should be hitting my brother up for stamp duty as I'm not the one who wants out of the investment.

The other option is we take the house to market and sell and whatever profit is made I can reinvest that in another IP that might show better cash flow for me. My accountant has told me that since it was once our PPOR (around 3 years ago), and neither of us have had our name on another title we would be exempt for any Capital Gains Tax. Is this correct?

Also, is this worthwhile going through these scenarios with an accountant. The bottom line for me is I don't want to be getting myself in a situation with significant negative cash flow that is going to impede further investment, but at the same time I can still see some really good capital growth in this investment.

Help is appreciated!!!!! :)

Thanks,
    Ryan

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Ryan

You would only be transferring half the house so stamp duty on this portion only.

Email Me

Participant
    @terryw
    Ryan273 wrote:
    Terryw wrote:

Terry, would you have to pay stamp duty on the value of the house, or half of that as that is effectively the share of the house as you already own the other half.

I'm trying to crunch the numbers on my situation.. can someone please help me with this.

Property value (estimated): $440K
    Loan: $275K
    Equity: $440K – $275K = $165K

So I would need to refinance and pay out my brother $82.5K for his share of the house.

Payout: $82.5K
    Stamp duty: $20K
    New loan amount: $377.5K

So I would need to refinance the loan in the amount of $377.5K but this would leave me with LVR of 85.7% so I would have to pay LMI.

– Is all interest from the new loan tax deductible, including the extra amount borrowed for stamp duty?
    – Do I have to pay stamp duty on 100% of the value, or just the 50% that I am buying off him?
    – Is mortgage insurance avoidable in this situation? Potentially I could refinance to 80% and pay him the rest separately? Can you see any pitfalls in doing this?

It is becoming a really tough decision for me to make as going through with this is going to leave me in a very negative cash flow position (currently rented at $320/week) and will slow down my plans for future capital growth, plus the fact that I have to pay double stamp duty on the property which is ridiculous! I really think I should be hitting my brother up for stamp duty as I'm not the one who wants out of the investment.

The other option is we take the house to market and sell and whatever profit is made I can reinvest that in another IP that might show better cash flow for me. My accountant has told me that since it was once our PPOR (around 3 years ago), and neither of us have had our name on another title we would be exempt for any Capital Gains Tax. Is this correct?

Also, is this worthwhile going through these scenarios with an accountant. The bottom line for me is I don't want to be getting myself in a situation with significant negative cash flow that is going to impede further investment, but at the same time I can still see some really good capital growth in this investment.

Help is appreciated!!!!! :)

Thanks,
    Ryan

For the calcs, it is up to you guys on how to split it, but you could probably assume it is being sold to a third party to make things easier to calculate or get your head around.

Just divide everything in half.

Sell for $440,000, pay back loan of $275,000 = $165,000 cash released = $82,500 each

so you would give him $82,000 – but that is not including costs such as legals and loan fees. Should he compensate you for these or half because he wants out???

If you have to increase the loan to pay him out you may be required to pay LMI too. Should he pay some of this??

If the place is being used as an investment then the interest would be generally deductible.  THis would include the interest on money borrowed to pay LMI and stamp duty too. LMI may be claimable over 5 years.,

You could be exempt from CGT under the absence from main residence rule, s 118-145 ITAA 1997.

Email Me

Participant
    @ryan273
    Terryw wrote:
    Hi Ryan

You would only be transferring half the house so stamp duty on this portion only.

So assuming house is valued at $440000, it would be stamp duty on 50% of this. How does this work exactly? Is it because my name is already on the title that I only have to pay 50%? Can you provide me with further detail on this.

Really appreciate your help with the numbers too Terry. Definitely agree that he should be compensating me by paying all loan fees and legals.

Participant
    @terryw

Well, you are only really transferring half the house so stamp duty on $220,000 which is the value of the portion transferred.

Email Me

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.