All Topics / Value Adding / subdivision cost?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of shanliushanliu
    @shanliu

Hi Sash
    I'm also quite interested in knowing the detail of the company, could you please let me know, thanks

Susan

Profile photo of extrafattyliverextrafattyliver
    Participant
    @extrafattyliver

Hi Sash,
    Would you please also let me know the details of this company?
    Thank you

Chris

Profile photo of drysdaledrysdale
    @drysdale

I was just wandering whether anyone has a recommendation for Geelong – looking at subdividing a property in Drysdale.

Cheers

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying

Hi Drysdale,

In my experience people in the development industry work all over Melbourne (including Geelong). For example I’ve done projects from Geelong to Wodonga to over in Bairnsdale. It’s always worth calling around and seeing how much everyone will charge. I’ve seen some places significantly raise the price because of the “hassle” of transportation, but a tank of fuel and a couple of hours really isn’t that much of an inconvenience in my opinion.

Do your research, call around and you’ll get a good result.

Regards,
    Ashley Stacey

Profile photo of EmreEmre
    @emre

Hi Sash,

Would you please also let me know the details of this company?

Thank you, Emre

Profile photo of Stacey SurveyingStacey Surveying
    Participant
    @stacey-surveying
    Profile photo of BreeceBreece
    Participant
    @breece

Hi everyone,
    Ashley, as always your information provided is very helpful. I appreciate the time you take on this forum.

We’ve found a lot of people coming to us with queries about the distinction between a straight subdivision of land versus a multi-unit development application. The obvious difference is that one cuts up the land whilst the other cuts up the land whilst providing for the development of the land. I’ve found both Ashley and ChristianB from this forum to be very helpful in assisting people get on the right track.

I have reviewed the material provided in the document Ashley attached above and would add some comments to build upon our lessons learnt. I’m hoping this will spark a discussion between the different disciplines of planning/architecture/surveying/engineering – and I fully encourage that!

This brings up an excellent point about “hidden costs”. These costs only remain “hidden” if you don’t know where to find them!

In Stage 1 under this process, the town planning fees can be variable based on the complexity of the lot and the specific planning controls that exist. Engaging with Council or one of the professionals listed above very early on in the process can save a lot of time and energy down the track. We encourage potential purchasers and new clients with existing properties to complete a Property Development Assessment as the first step in our process. This gives everyone certainty about the feasibility, costs and timeframes involved.

The subdivision process can be carried out concurrently with the Town Planning Permit process for Multi-unit Developments. This involves the additional step of engaging an Architect early on to work with your Land Surveyor and Town Planner to ensure the project is both feasible and financially viable. By drawing on these three disciplines you will arm yourself with the right information to get underway.

The document Ashley refers to above is based on a subdivision application in Logan City Council in SE QLD. Obviously there are locational dependent variations, but the principles described remain the same.

An example of these variations can be found in the Victorian Planning Provisions where we have what is known as a ‘Development Contributions Plan Overlay’. This overlay is usually placed over residential land in areas where Council require expensive capital works programs in order to improve the amenity and facilities through upgrades to roads/drainage or the provision of Community facilities such as community centres or pavilions in public open space. One of our clients last week found themselves covered by this particular overlay, and was able to factor in the $18,000 contribution for drainage works into their feasibility. It’s always best to complete your due diligence to find out what planning controls exist over your next development site. (Please never rely on the word of the Real Estate Agent…)

As always, seek good advice early, and work with your team to get the best outcome possible.

Merry Christmas everyone!

All the best,
    Breece

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.