All Topics / Creative Investing / Renting whilst investing?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Profile photo of andrew dwyerandrew dwyer
    Participant
    @andrew-dwyer

How many property investors out there rent? I know Chris Gray is an advocate of renting despite owning 50+ properties. I've been toying with the idea of converting our PPR into an IP and renting. I would then convert the PPR to a Interest only loan and gear it up to 90% to release more equity which would allow us to buy another property. Our other thoughts are to rent for a year saving cashflow as both our I.P's would be neutrally geared, rent would be substantially less than current motgage repayments and then using the equity to purchase or build our next PPR. Realise we wouldn't be able to claim a tax deduction on the amount used as a deposit but still we would have certainly fast tracked our investments.

Anyone else employed a similar method or are advocates of renting whilst growing your portfolio?

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Me! Rent it out and get going. Please call an accountant and get the particulars for tax issues etc. We rent and have our IP's and it works for us. Eventually when we are hideously wealthy property Moguls then we will buy our own home or build…but I think that's a while off yet :)

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Andrew

Of course other option would to take out a shared equity loan and only make repayments on 70% of the purchase price of the PPOR.

If you have 10% deposit (and you do of course) lender would provide interest free on 20% (STC) and take their return by way of 40% of the capital increase.

Just frees up more funds month to month to fund IP and deposits.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @dwolfe

I think you are the closest thing to the magic money genii Richard. By post code are we talking prime suburbs (3124)?

Ps Nice Website  Who's in the pic ?

D

Email Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Have to check but if it metro ish or large regional then would be fine.

I am the good looking on in the pic lol

Seriously i havent looked at my website for 5 years dont even know what it says these days.

Participant
    @dwolfe
    Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

Which funders consider shared equity loans? can they be done with the big 4?

Participant
    @qlds007

YI – Adelaide Bank thru Rismark International are the only mainstream lender.

Couple of others are State based.

Participant
    @qlds007

YI – Adelaide Bank thru Rismark International are the only mainstream lender.

Couple of others are State based.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I think it is a good idea to rent while owning – especially if it will result in savings. You can still claim the CGT exemption on one property so there is nothing to lose – other than the hassle of moving etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah the MOVING!!! It's great when you move in and find out they are going to knock it down and build units. Or when you find out your landlord actually lives next door and he is a loony! Our current landlords are OS and will be back in a year…….Maybe or maybe they will come back early as a surprise! LOL!

There's good and bad with everything and some people can't stand renting and then there are Gypsies like me and mine, we are up to house number 6 in 6 years! The mail redirection is a nightmare

D

Email Me

Profile photo of vita22vita22
    @vita22

Agree that mail redirection sucks. We only have the one P.O.Box (currently in a different state where we are now!) which redirects all. Avoid giving out the ‘current’ residence to lessen the confusion when its time to move.

Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah we finally got a PO BOX set up last year, Dreading the next interstate move!!

Email Me

Profile photo of marx3bullmarx3bull
    @marx3bull

Guys, mail redirection has some advantages to its belt as well. We should not forget that!

Airport parking services

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

We are seriously regretting going the renting route thinking that we could do this and just buy IP's instead of another PPOR (which we stupidly sold).    If we'd known that renting is such a short term concept here in Australia (i.e. landlords seem to sell constantly unlike in Europe and the USA where long term leases are more the norm) we  would never have considered it.    

I think the PPOR- for a year/ conversion to IP/ then sell before the 6 year CGT deadline scenario is driving the constant turnaround of properties.  

Participant
    @dwolfe

Yeah look I have to say it is not all roses and you do wonder why you are renting when the 40th call the rea has gone unanswered (sposed to have a gardener inc…where is he?) We could have bought something where we rent and with a bit of reno made about 400k. But……………….Then we would only have one house not 5. Our risk would be in one area.The costs would be all our own, there would be no depreciation, no tax breaks no nothing, just a giant mortgage that my grandkids would probably still be paying off in 100 years time. If the value of this property decreased then that would be it whereas it is unlikely that all 5 will go down at once. So I guess it all comes down to where you want to be at the end of all this. No I wont be renting in 10 yrs time! But it suits me now :)

D

Email Me

Profile photo of j hallj hall
    @j-hall

we are looking at renting out our ppor so we can move to brisbane and expand our job opportunities,even though it will be neg geared upto 150pw+,the costs outweight the benifits.(i should say i HATE HATE HATE NEGATIVE GEARING HERE!!!) so its a big descision for us.

for us it gives us the opportunity to surround ourselves with mroe property minded people,increase borrowing power with better jobs,more potential partners in the larger area etc etc.

it really depends on where your at in life,for us renting while investing will be a good thing for a while.

Participant
    @qlds007

J Hall

You say it wil be negatively geared is that post Capital Allowance, Depreciation and loan set up costs claims.

Be suprised how many clients dont know they can claim all of these non cash deductions on their PPOR if all other qualifying criteria is met. 

Profile photo of j hallj hall
    @j-hall
    Qlds007 wrote:
    J Hall

You say it wil be negatively geared is that post Capital Allowance, Depreciation and loan set up costs claims.

Be suprised how many clients dont know they can claim all of these non cash deductions on their PPOR if all other qualifying criteria is met. 

can u explain those further,i know depreciation,but not the others? i know we can claim our loan fee each year,what else is there?

its basically 3br/2bath/4car house,been here for 3 years or so.
    280-300max p/w rented hopefully
    470p/w loan repayments(fixed for futher 3.5 years,30k break fee)

= neg geared 190pw + insurances/rates etc etc.

then after that minus interest portion deductions of our repayments and tax deductions,we are expecting around 140p/w it will cost us outright per week,we are going to finalise all costs once we move out and then get a tax adjustment on our income and reduce our costs per week instead of waiting til tax time.

Participant
    @qlds007

How old is the property ?

Have you claimed a proportion of the original loan costs and any mortgage preparation charged when you moved in ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.