All Topics / Help Needed! / Kiwi property investment beginner looking for Property Investment Mentor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of FeiFei
    @fei

Hi

I live and work in Auckland city center and want to start  property investment soon. As a beginner I don't have much confident, could someone be my mentor please?

Is there any  FREE/ good  property investment software  that can computes  offer price of a property with  some preset factors like expected   rate of return, interest rate, monthly installment amount that can afford etc ?   Recently I came across a run down property sitting in between good and well maintained properties with market value between $380K – $500K. How do I know what is the  right offer price I should put forward given the fact that currently I can only afford to pay upto $1,500/ mth installment and loan amount is approx $200K? What other factors I should consider please?

And how appropriate is it to use FHOG/ First Home Buyer Loan package to purchase first investment property for someone who doesn't own a property yet?

Many thanks.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

I think you'll find you cannot use the FHOG to purchase investment property.  Are you looking to buy in NZ or Australia?

With regards to "what is a good price", well, you'd need to work out what the place would be worth renovated.  Then you'd need to work out how much it would cost to renovate it.  Then if you plan to sell, you'd need to work out what costs are associated with buying, selling, and then buying again (eg stamp duty is a killer in Australia).  All things considered, you'd be aiming to make a profit.  Remember that your profits will probably be taxed as capital gains tax.  You wouldn't bother for a small profit (eg $5k).  The risk of you getting your numbers wrong and costs blowing out when you are new to the game is high.  It isn't worth the gamble for a small profit like $5k.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of FeiFei
    @fei

Hi JacM

Thanks for your feedback. Since currently I live and work in Auckland ,so will buy property in Auckland city fringe areas. I plan to buy this as a rental property.. In this case I need to find out the renovation costs to bring it to livable conditions, is there anything else I should look into please?
    Cheers
    Fei

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Personally I can't comment too much, as I don't know much about investing in NZ (this is generally an Australian forum).  What I do know is: you can buy property through a company, and I don't think there is the issue of capital gains tax.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of NilixNilix
    @nilix
    Fei wrote:

Hi

I live and work in Auckland city center and want to start  property investment soon. As a beginner I don't have much confident, could someone be my mentor please?

Is there any  FREE/ good  property investment software  that can computes  offer price of a property with  some preset factors like expected   rate of return, interest rate, monthly installment amount that can afford etc ?   Recently I came across a run down property sitting in between good and well maintained properties with market value between $380K – $500K. How do I know what is the  right offer price I should put forward given the fact that currently I can only afford to pay upto $1,500/ mth installment and loan amount is approx $200K? What other factors I should consider please?

And how appropriate is it to use FHOG/ First Home Buyer Loan package to purchase first investment property for someone who doesn't own a property yet?

Many thanks.

The only one that does everything you mention is:
    http://www.ipropertyco.com

Profile photo of Jason CauvainJason Cauvain
    @jason-cauvain

Hi Fei,

I live in Auckland and have been investing for sometime if you would like any help i would be more than happy to meet with you and give you some help, let me know, cheers

Jason

Profile photo of FeiFei
    @fei

Hi Jason

Many thanks for your offer to help. Which part of Auckland do you come from?  Are you a full time property investor ? What is your email address please so that we can contact each other?
    Cheers
    Fei

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.