Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of UnrealUnreal
    @unreal

Hi all, I would like to share my families situation and find out what other investors think we should do next.

We live in Moranbah, hubby is on the coal mines (makes about $110kpa).  I am a stay-at-home mum with 5 young kids (probably won't be having anymore).  I won't be going to work until all the kids are in school (youngest is 6mnths).

We have a house in Townsville (bought in '01 for $105k, now worth abt $280k, renting for $250/wk to family, valued at abt $300/wk).  I love Townsville because it has many different industries (army, mines, farming, uni) and it isn't too far away from us (5-6h) that we can't check on it etc.

We have a house in Rockhampton (bought in '09 for $270k, renting for $300/wk).  I love Rocky because it also has many different industries (big on farms, benifits from mining, uni).  It is also only 5-6h away so we can check on it and do our own maintenance if needed.

These 2 houses are what I consider to be ideal renters: they are both small 3bdm block homes in great suburbs.  Maintenance is low.

We have just moved out of our home here in Moranbah (Hubby got a bigger house with his new job :), and will shortly be renting it out (bought in '06 for $270k, now worth $400k).  We are expecting to get $6-700/wk (personally I'd rather have it cheaper and not be empty), and I would expect it to be at $900/wk within 12mnths.  The advantages of this town is 1. we live here so we'd do our own maintenance and 2. great rental returns.  But, heavily reliant on coal.  This scares me, but I do not want to sell our house incase we ever need to move back into it.

My investment strategy is set and forget.  I think the majority of your profit comes from father time, not renovating or buying at the right time.

Although we were pre-approved to buy another house last year (just before the gfc became a reality here), the bank won't lend us anymore money, so I guess for now we just wait.  But, eventually when the bank will give us more, what do we do with it?

Cairns: heavily reliant on tourism, but this gfc didn't kill it, so it couldn't be too bad.  Plus, it has the only international airport in qld outside brissie.  We also have family in the area and know the place well.

Gladstone: has a lot of industry, but it's all along the same vein.  Plus it's close to Rocky, I like to spread 'em out.

Mackay: I don't really want to own a house in Moranbah and Mackay.  Although both have great growth, if something happens to coal they are both in trouble.  I know Mackay won't be as badly as effected as Moranbah, but it will still be heavily effected.

Darwin: very very far away, so we'd never check on the house ourselves.  We'd need an awesome REA.  But, I'd love to invest there.  It's a capital city, so you know it's not going away, and there is nothing else close to compete with.

These are the only places I know well (I  like to fully research an area before I buy there, preferably live there for some time so I get a real 'feel' for the place).

Personally, I am leaning towards a DHA house in Darwin.  Hubby would rather DHA in Canberra (we've never even visited Canberra).  From what I've seen, DHA houses are a lot more expensive than what I'd normally buy, so if we were to take this route, it'd be a while (and we'd probably have to sell one of our other houses to do it).

So, do  you think we are on the right track?  Should I be doing something different, or should I just be waiting for the bank to share out some dosh?

Thanks for your input,
    Valerie

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

You still have to borrow money to buy a DHA house and they are in the 600,000 to 780,000 price range.
    These are longer term investments.
    Have you looked at the benefits on there web site
    http://www.invest.dha.gov.au/dha/home/info/leasebenefits.sok?ID=
    The cheapest house was $440,000

They do have an option where you can lease a house to them also .

They have properties in QLD !
    see
    http://www.invest.dha.gov.au/dha/home/forsale/mapsearch/qld.sok
    http://www.invest.dha.gov.au/dha/home/forsale/search/results.sok

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Have you thought about he benefits of investing in another state? I don't know when land tax kicks in in QLD, but as this is a state tax you can minimise how much , if any, land tax you pay by investing in different states. If you continue to invest in QLD you may be sacrifcing cashflow to pay land tax.

I have not visited any of my properties. I rely on doing reserch via the internet as well as speaking to a number of RE agents, not the sales agents, the property managers. They are the people who will be looking to find and keep tenants for the landlord so they are generally very honest regarding what type of property rents well as well as which areas of town rent easier than  others. I also speak with the local council to find out what development applications are in the process of seeking or have obtained approval.

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of UnrealUnreal
    @unreal

Thanks for your thoughts.  Duckster, I have had a bit of a look at the DHA website and realised the properties were quite expensive.  Not sure if we'd have to sell one of our properties for the bank to agree to another loan.  We were recently knocked back on a house ($450k) because the bank said we were too reliant on the rent rec'd inorder to make repayments :(

Sonya, thanks heaps for that heads-up.  I hadn't even considered land tax.  I just found the info and it sayes we'll have to pay if the un-improved value is greater than $600k.  I guess I'll have to dig up those evaluations we get sent from time to time (I had no idea why thy were sending them).  I will also be looking for the thresholds in all the other states to try and minimise this.

I guess on that note, I should also be comparing the stampduty rates in the different states.

As far as not visiting properties, this is something I am not keen to do.  We had an awesome REA in Townsville and great long-term tenants.  But the property manager eventually changed, and the standard of service I received dropped dramatically.  I didn't realise how much they weren't doing until I visited the property for myself.  This is one reason DHA houses appeal to me.

@sonyasal

Hi

i have a fantastic RE manager in Gunnedah, she always gives me an honest opnion on the 'rentability' of a property that her co-worker selling agent suggests I buy as she is the one who manages the property and finds tenants. She doesn't wnat landlords on the phone asking why she can't find a tenant. My two properties have never been vacant and she also happily inspects properties listed for sale with other agents and lets me know how they present,what rent I would get,etc,. Gunnedah also recently featured in a RE article Can' t remember the source, as one of the good solid places for real estate investment.

Cheers

Sonya

@unreal

Excuse my ignorance Sonya, but where is Gunnedah?

@unreal

Okay, have made a spreadsheet comparing the different rates of land tax in each state.  Turns out Qld is a great state to invest in, as is NT (no land tax at all over there).  WA is very cheap, while Tas and ACT are very expensive.  Thanks again Sonya for alerting me to this :)

@sonyasal

Hi

Gunnedah is in Northern NSW inland from Coffs Harbour. Has mining,  and diverse farming as major industries. Oh and making Supermodels!!! Miranda Kerr is from Gunnedah as well, no that didn't influence my decision to invest there.

cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of Matt007Matt007
    @matt007

Anyone know what demand is like in Townsville and surrounding areas for new residential product? Curious to know what the market is like up that way given all the work going on up there…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.