All Topics / Help Needed! / Giving existing tenants notice when just bought the place

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of s.sluiters.sluiter
    @s.sluiter

I recently purchased a property which is still settling. There are tenants still in the place who are no longer on a lease, just a week to week agreement. I have been told i have to give them 60 days notice after the 42 day settlement period, meaning i can't move in for over 3 months! Is this correct and is there any way around it whatsoever, besides the current tenants moving out earlier of their own accord? HELP PLS! 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I think you might find this varies from State to State so i would probably check with the Residential Tenancy Authority in your State.

In Qld the Vendor could certainly issue a Notice to Leave as the property is under Contract (assuming of course the tenancy is under a periodic lease agreement)

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

In NSW the Vendor could issue a 30 day notice if the sale is with vacant possession.  Did you buy with Vacant possession or subject to existing tenancies

Profile photo of ChizChiz
    Participant
    @chiz

I don’t have anything legal to say other than:

if this delay is going to cost you (and if other options fail) you could offer them a financial incentive to move out earlier eg no rent for the final X week(s) if they’re out by XYZ

…again: I’m not even sure if that idea is legal (so go check before doing it)

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Push your solicitor to insist on VP & don't settle until vp is provided.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.