All Topics / Help Needed! / Self Managed Super Funds

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

thanks for sharing Brian & Cindy that is great to know – I think we have just over $100k combined in our super (I have military super as well that is untouchable due to government policy). Will speak to our accountant at tax time as we would like to have this up our sleeve for when another property comes up at our comples. Thanks Maree

Profile photo of shopimyshopimy
    @shopimy

Hi everyone,
    We have just bought a property under a SMSF. Just to give you the facts and figures, it may help you greatly. Also, people have mentioned it's complicated, and it is, however we have found a very good accountant that is doing all the paperwork so it really is quite simple for us, sign here, fill this out, post that etc. so a great accountant is ESSENTIAL, as it is with normal investing. Our super (mine and hubby's combined from 2 diff funds) totalled approx $140k. The property we bought was at about our maximum at $339k and the lender usually lends up to 70%, ours was a 65% lend, the approx figures are that the loan will be for about $221 k and it's about $11k for costs, (this is all fees from every angle). Now the repayments on $221k are much less than the anticipated rent of about $350 per week, so it immediately becomes cash flow positive, but the cream on the cake is that your super payments (or in this case hubbys, as I am not working) will be going into the fund each week, which means if he gets say $300 per week super, this is another repayment on the property, so effectively we are paying $650 per week on the property and the repayment is say $300 per week (i dont have figures with me, but lets say this as an example) The fund is set up then set and forget, yearly audits need to be done and they are carried out by tax office, however, once again, acct does all that. The fees are about $1000-1500 per year, however we don't look at the fees, we see it as: there is no way super will give us the same return given that property is a 10 year cycle, therefore, if we were only ever to get one property out of this over time (so we can access at retirement) then we are ahead as the unit is currently valued at $380k, if it doubles in say 10 years, it may be worth $700k, the debt would be reduced from the current $221k (lets say $50k over 10 years) so the debt remaining would be $171k on a value of $700+ k. Then we would sell that and buy 2 etc etc. Even though these figures are hearsay, I think you would agree that $700k sounds better than what super would give you currently (perhaps $300-400k best case). Am happy to answer more i you need. We are so glad we did it and if something changes our mind (which i doubt very much) you can simply sell the asset and go back to 2 managed super funds. p.s some funds don't pay weekly into SMSF (like hubbys) so we transfer an annual buffer every year.
    Ingrid

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

Hi Ingrid,

I'd love to know who your accountant is if you care to share?
    <br /:-)” title=”>:-)” class=”bbcode_smiley” />

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Thanks for sharing Ingrid – that is certainly all positive indeed. Second JacM – share the name of the accountant :)

Profile photo of pestgirlpestgirl
    @pestgirl

Hi Ingrid
    Your scenario sounds really similiar to what my husband and I want to do. ( same amt funds etc)   I have been researching growth areas, and am a little nervous as to picking the right area to maximise the property's value when we are able to retire. So many people are negative about this …. but we don't want to sit back and do nothing. If you would care to share your accountants details with me and the area you purchased your property in – i would be grateful (send me a direct e-mail if you prefer) I have a great accountant… but his knowledge in this area isn't up there … and I know that to do this … the accountant is the KEY to making it all work.
    Cheers :-)

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.