All Topics / General Property / When interest rates hit 8.5% will that start our first home owners sub-prime crash.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Dan42,
                 regarding – house prices would not be allowed to drop 40%.
    Obviously you mean in Australia? Ask an American about house values and reserve bank saving them..

Whilst I take your point that house prices have not crashed as predicted…lets just wait a bit longer and see if the economies around the world continues to improve once the governments run out of money..

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

WJ, yes, I am talking about Australia.

I agree, there are some basket case economies, particularly the US and their astronomical debt levels.

I don't know what will happen in the next 1 / 2 / 5 years, but I think there are some unique cultural aspects in Australia (among lowest countries with loan in default, highest in home ownership) as well as things like non-recourse loans in the US that are not being considered by the Keen disciples when they predict future house price crashes.

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

couldn't he have seen that no government would let house prices drop by 40%?
    What a funny statement – given what jaw dropping decreases we've been seeing around the world in the last year.

W4L:   I'm am interested in your original question and think that it is a very reasonable one to ask.      We think that there is no sub prime lending here,  (I take that to mean lending to borrowers who are ill qualified to be able to service a loan) but some lending practices could be a bit iffy if the website Infochoice is anything to go by.        
      http://www.infochoice.com.au/

This is heavily used for objective information on comparitive loans and savings information.     If you go into their calculators and calculate your borrowing power, a most interesting thing pops up.   It's the default amount for what people are supposed to spend in their everyday lives.   For a couple on a joint income their borrowing power is based on annual spending of $14,400 and a car payment of $350 month.     If they have one dependent it goes up to $17,280.        If this default is used by banks (is it?)  then they have underestimated what people spend just paying bills and food, petrol, insurance, phone, internet – basic stuff no frills  – by  a considerable amount.    The other interesting default setting is that they tack on 1.5% in interest rate to allow for future rate rises.   Given that we just came close to 10% a couple of years ago, that is also a worryingly optimistic calculation.  

Another figure which is strange is the one used in this thread somewhere – 2000 people arriving in Melbourne every week.    Well, Perth, Darwin, Brisbane and Sydney are all claiming  massive arrivals  (funny how no one says how many people are leaving) and when you do the calculations it means that about  half a million people must be coming into the country every year.    Have  we reached those levels yet?   

With all these strange airy fairy numbers being bandied about, it makes it really hard for anyone to predict what is going to happen.

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42
    Singer wrote:
    couldn't he have seen that no government would let house prices drop by 40%?
    What a funny statement – given what jaw dropping decreases we've been seeing around the world in the last year.

Singer,

I was referring to the Australian market, which was the focus of the post, and Steve Keen's 40% drop predictions. Could you see a Australian Federal government sitting by, doing nothing, while housing prices almost halved?

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

My answer is yes.   It wouldn't be sitting by doing nothing, it would be throwing everything they could at it.   However, market forces are generally stronger than democratic governments.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Do you think there wouldn't be a whole bunch of investors who would walk in and start buying? Look at the US yes it's crashed but a huge bunch of cashed up Aussies have jumped on a plane to go and pick over the ruins.

If interest rates went to 10% would you have to sell your investment properties? I wouldn't.

I don't think any one I know would have to sell their ppor either. Maybe work more hours but not sell.

There may be a whole bunch of people who are geared too heavily who would have to offload but tough luck for them that's why you pay for independent financial advice. Also that is the risk that you take.

Figures on population growth in areas is available on the ABS site as well as other sites. Verification of claims is how you keep yourself informed.

Wealth, please inform but remember it is not our job to censor or scaremonger. (That's what governments are for) Yes it is best to tell anyone new to PI that it is hard work but I wouldn't like anyone to tell my kids that they couldn't do it straight out. I believe there is plenty of money for everyone it just depends how much you want to make it.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of dreamtobelievedreamtobelieve
    Participant
    @dreamtobelieve
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    Dear Dan I don't know what planet you are from or how much experience you really have …

Low end market is strong it always is at the bottom …

In Sydney EAST of Pacific Hwy and Lower North Shore and Eastern Suburbs etc properties have dropped by up to 50% … this is top market and he was right … also this can be effected more …

First home owner is a false markeyt …

Please phone all agents in Mackay, Proserpine, Airlie beach, Mission Beach, Bowen … and ask their opinion …

Sorry but this is a gross generalisation. I would absolutely love to see examples of these 50% drops because I'm sure there would be some investers myself included laughing until the cows come home. The reality is that in those areas the fall in prices was considerably less than this and of the few examples of forced sales, there is usually such a back up of demand in such tightly held areas, that invariably the prices generated would achieve fair market value regardless.

Seriously these scaremonger tactics are pathetic.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hmm interesting advise and responses … "scaremonger" haha funny …

The question from the beginning is as it is a simple question …

Many years now the average interest rate was around 11% then in the 90s it shot up to 20% which was never expected …

TFHO are borrowing for the first time in a market of severely low interest rates compared to history … so with that in mind my question was intended to see if these people would be effected the most having no prior high interest rate education … thats it boys so take a pill …

The global economy is still not sorted and many believe it is a long way to go … we are still buying property however our selection has now changed towards the retirement and plus 55 areas, as I said b4 we just purchased a one bedder 54 m/2 for 225k in Sydney that will rent for 400.00 with a bus stop at the front door … still buying boys and still investing in the markets … we made a profit in LNG of 129% in 61 days … gold, silver, lithium, gas, energy, food stocks all look very positive for 2010 …

Lets see what 2010 will bring and then we will reread this post.

Merry Christmas and safe driving … don't drink and drive you spill too much.

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Haha Wealth I hope your enjoying a bit of to and fro!  The retirement area is good aging population and all that. Yes we will see how much money we make in 2010.

Merry Christmas (I think we will see you back before that how can you resist?)

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.