All Topics / General Property / When interest rates hit 8.5% will that start our first home owners sub-prime crash.

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

All the news is about rising rates to esculate quickly in 2010 …

Do you think that this will hit the first home owners and could that spell disaster or opportunities in your mind

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Ahh Wealth u are such a doomsayer!

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of pkspks
    @pks

No, i dont think so. On an average 2000 people are coming over to Melbourne every week and they need some place to live. This would boost the economy with their productivity. So i dont think there would be any more falls in the house prices. They need some place to rent or buy. Rental properties would be in more demand and would rents would proportionately go up along with interest rate hikes.

You would probably see the property values picking up again in next 2 years by another 10 – 20 %

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

My wife and I were paying 8.9% less than 18 months ago. I don't think rates going to 8.5% will have a major impact.

And Australia has hardly any sub-prime lending.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

I doubt rates will hit 8.5% and if they do they will not be there for long. Look at the blood on the streets last time and our debt levels have not improved. Im thinking around 7%

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888
    devo76 wrote:
    I doubt rates will hit 8.5% and if they do they will not be there for long. Look at the blood on the streets last time and our debt levels have not improved. Im thinking around 7%

Hi ya Devo

They will go well above 7 %. Westpac and its Dragon offspring are giving 6.8 % term deposits for 12 months…….a clue me thinks. I'll guess circa 8 % and maybe slightly higher within the next 18 months or so.

Having said that, I don't think it will be the end of the world. I believe opportunity will be in the more leisurely pickings this coming year and maybe 2011. The frenzy of a very low interest rate environment and the FHO boosts and the "don't want to miss out" mentality will settle down.

I have posted a more balanced piece on my thoughts, however can't find the link now.

Found it…..here's the text:

There are markets within markets and sub-markets within them.

I don't see any further correction. Lower end with FHOG scaling back might soften or track sideways and then there is a case to be put forward that investors may pick up the slack.

The higher end took a hammering with the stock market bear market and has since bounced back…….at least it has around bayside Melbourne where I live.

As for the future, property has never ben afforable, particularly  if the prosepctive buyers have over-inflated expectations and must have it all now in exactly the location they wish to be, or they must have brand new McMansion with theatres and outdoor rooms lager than life. Many generations prior, people started out where they could and upgraded. So the instant gratifiers can either keep renting where they would like to live or buy somewhre else to get their foot in the door.

Westill have a 70 % owner occupier rate here in a generic sense. In the UK and other parts of Euope, it is as low as 40-50%…..hence many more tenants. This may occur here also.

Property is not only driven by investors, owner occupiers predominate and as it is a basic human need (and we are told that there is an under supply), I don't see the sky falling in.

I am not suggesting it's blue sky and everything is roses, however fundmentally, we are chugging along fine. If interest rates rise and some over-etended FHO struggle, then there will be some nice IP's to pick up.

I have read the book duckster refers to and the book title (The Great Depression Ahead) is far more bearish than its contents. Harry Dent does clarify that Austrlia is far better poised to emerge relatively scar free from the smoke and mirrors of the sub-pime mess and financial derivative products that were more akin to Ponzi. It is credit here (from that fallout) and ultimate development funds that are harder to source and yet we have a shortage of stock…………augurs well for upside to the suply and demand scenario me thinks

His book is however interesting as far as demographics and cycles specially for share markets (sectors) and also job cycles.

WJH, personally I cannot see a crash here in Australia………..perhaps softening in FHOG driven outer suburb fringes with little or no amenity that might see its purchasers struggle with rate rises whilst settling for a brand new (shiney) box and the obligatory high end Falcodores, and theatre systems whilst notching up plenty of credit card use. 

Not posting here as much these days, however I have been sounding like a broken record when I caveat that one needs to keep portfolio LVR's conservative moving forward. Now is not the time te be an uber-bull and max out LVR's and servicibility…….those days will come however not right now.

And here's the link to the thread it pertained to:

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/general-property/4329339

Participant
    @dwolfe

I once met some people who bought a house when interest rates were 17%…..It's true! Gee and now we are whinging because they might get above 8%. If they go closer to 10% the media will have a field day, the current day govt will get the arse and the banks will get a stern talking to! (not much else tho)

D

Email Me

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888

I'll put my hand up……………..I was investing back then. I fixed my rates on three IP's at 16.5 % and my mates thought I was nuts. I avoided the circa 20-21 % investment loans of the day.

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    Michael 888 wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

Hi ya Devo

They will go well above 7 %. Westpac and its Dragon offspring are giving 6.8 % term deposits for 12 months…….a clue me thinks. I'll guess circa 8 % and maybe slightly higher within the next 18 months or so.

Having said that, I don't think it will be the end of the world. I believe opportunity will be in the more leisurely pickings this coming year and maybe 2011. The frenzy of a very low interest rate environment and the FHO boosts and the "don't want to miss out" mentality will settle down.

I have posted a more balanced piece on my thoughts, however can't find the link now.

Found it…..here's the text:

There are markets within markets and sub-markets within them.

I don't see any further correction. Lower end with FHOG scaling back might soften or track sideways and then there is a case to be put forward that investors may pick up the slack.

The higher end took a hammering with the stock market bear market and has since bounced back…….at least it has around bayside Melbourne where I live.

As for the future, property has never ben afforable, particularly  if the prosepctive buyers have over-inflated expectations and must have it all now in exactly the location they wish to be, or they must have brand new McMansion with theatres and outdoor rooms lager than life. Many generations prior, people started out where they could and upgraded. So the instant gratifiers can either keep renting where they would like to live or buy somewhre else to get their foot in the door.

Westill have a 70 % owner occupier rate here in a generic sense. In the UK and other parts of Euope, it is as low as 40-50%…..hence many more tenants. This may occur here also.

Property is not only driven by investors, owner occupiers predominate and as it is a basic human need (and we are told that there is an under supply), I don't see the sky falling in.

I am not suggesting it's blue sky and everything is roses, however fundmentally, we are chugging along fine. If interest rates rise and some over-etended FHO struggle, then there will be some nice IP's to pick up.

I have read the book duckster refers to and the book title (The Great Depression Ahead) is far more bearish than its contents. Harry Dent does clarify that Austrlia is far better poised to emerge relatively scar free from the smoke and mirrors of the sub-pime mess and financial derivative products that were more akin to Ponzi. It is credit here (from that fallout) and ultimate development funds that are harder to source and yet we have a shortage of stock…………augurs well for upside to the suply and demand scenario me thinks

His book is however interesting as far as demographics and cycles specially for share markets (sectors) and also job cycles.

WJH, personally I cannot see a crash here in Australia………..perhaps softening in FHOG driven outer suburb fringes with little or no amenity that might see its purchasers struggle with rate rises whilst settling for a brand new (shiney) box and the obligatory high end Falcodores, and theatre systems whilst notching up plenty of credit card use. 

Not posting here as much these days, however I have been sounding like a broken record when I caveat that one needs to keep portfolio LVR's conservative moving forward. Now is not the time te be an uber-bull and max out LVR's and servicibility…….those days will come however not right now.

And here's the link to the thread it pertained to:

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/general-property/4329339

Im thinking around 7% including the .7 reduction most banks offer so i stand by my estimate.
    Without the reduction 7.75 or either side with a short 6 month or so blip above this. nothing to sweat about.Considering around half my borrowings are locked in at 7.25% for two more years. Im not feeling the rises yet.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

I have always said that the worst possible thing to happen was the huge reduction in interest rates, combined with throwing free money at people to buy homes they couldn’t afford.

When combined with stupid lending practice from the banks, it is an accident waiting to happen. Just look at what was happening less than 2 months ago from NAB. http://www.news.com.au/money/property/first-home-buyers-urged-to-beat-rate-rise/story-e6frfmd0-1225791082144

They are happy to lend at least $450,000 to those with an income of $61,000. When interest rates hit 8.5%, interest only repayments on a $450k loan will be $38,250 with an after tax salary of only $48,000. Good luck trying to live on less than $200 per week, pay your rates, food, transport, power, water, clothes etc, let alone make any dent in the debt actually owed.

The scenario as it has played out was the worst possible for first home buyers, lured in at inflated prices, which increased by more than the additional grants and before they have even made their first payments, interest rates have already spiked by almost 1% and are sure to continue to increase.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Dear DW this is not a negative question it is a very intelligent question …

How old are you and how much experience do you have ?????

The government in it's wisdom decided to spend our tax dollars into this scheme to help the building industry … TFHO are the most desperate to get into real estate and have borrowed at 100% with reports that the properties are 25% over priced … these properties in the next 2/3 years could be purchased for bargain prices as the loans revert to P&I … USA still has not fixed the problem as people are refinancing back to fixed loans and NOT paying off their debts for future retirement …

2010 will see banks tightening further it has already begun … I have paid 19.33% on a $240k Citibank mortgage loan in 1992 … the difference today is the new borrowers started borrowing on the lowest loans in Australians history that the average over time is 10% so a person going from 4.5% up to 9% is in a different mind set …

So do you see disaster or opportunity ?? it is not a doomsday question … Have you read the conspiracy of the rich ??

Participant
    @dwolfe

Hi W4L,

I'm not old enough and I will never have enough experience! I am in no doubt of your intelligence. I have just seen a few of your posts and they seem to follow a similar line……..

I always see opportunity.

What do you make of general opinion (quantified by various market research) that most people are comfortable in their mortgages and are not feeling difficulty in paying? Many people are used to paying over and above the minimum payments. The will feel a pinch but not the full blow.

Yes there is tightening. There will be for sometime as the banks recoup many of their loses from USA. It will be like pertol prices.  Now $1.15 is considered cheap. People move on to other issues to complain about at their BBQS.

Interest rates are the next distraction for the masses. Watch this hand while I move my other hand behind my back and allow more foreign ownership of residential properties and put the squeeze on the property market.

Enjoy your day. I will go and look for those bargains you speak of.

Please call me before the next "economic downturn" (I use "" because only two people I know lost their jobs and they were both accountants they didn't lose their house tho), I may choose to panic sell before the herd. I use the words "may" and "panic" very, very loosely.

And no I haven't read it. My current text is about commercial property investing. But I might get to it after that.

D

Email Me

@wealth4life.com

D interesting response …

Contrary to yr belief I am positive and own a number of investment properties, my first was a one bedder in Balmain for $42,000.00 and still own it hence I love one bedders close to CBDs.

Having a good positive mental attitude standing in front of a forest fire will not put the fire out.

Having a balance on a reputable forum is I believe positive to all the new investors who think that real estate investing is a bed of roses and will make you rich … I have 3 friends who bought property in country towns that can't sell them and the tenants have left.

I have friend who bought 2 properties in Dubai … no more on that …

I have another friend who put an option together and made over 2 million dollars within 8 months … total cost $8,450.00

Life is a roller coaster and at the end of the day you can only look back and judge your results on your decisions and others will judge you for that as you judge others.

If you scan through this site there are people of all ages and all experiences and qualifications and I try to do the best I can to provide information to help the greater few and if you think I am a dooms stayer then so be it … however I read articles from all over the world because I am also heavily into the stock market where I use my profits to buy real estate …

Good luck with your commercial education we own several.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

Hi Wealth, can you please share the options strategy that lead to $2M profit in 8 months from a small outlay?

Profile photo of new_startnew_start
    @new_start
    devo76 wrote:

this article indicates rates to hit 8.5% if anything to go by?
    http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Article.aspx?id=1260034324287&index=NationalIndex&headline=Home%20rates%20++39;to%20hit%208.5%++39;

Profile photo of new_startnew_start
    @new_start

This is a great blog and he predicts a severe crunch due to too much debt?? definitely worth a read and he updates quite frequently. not sure if it will happen but hemakes some damn good arguments… particularly because of the FHOG etc? I think it will hit home owners more than investors?

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2009/11/04/its-the-leverage-stupid/

@wealth4life.com

I would love to share the strategy Matt but it would take too long … basically found a site and had a buyer in mind … solicitor drew up option agreement (contract) … employed a planner and lobbyist to change the zoning under the LEP and wooska exchanged …

No big deal in Options … an option grants you time … the contract is simply an agreement between you and the vendor … people think options are soooooooo secret but they are so basic a 10 year old can do one.

Some people are wise and others are otherwise.

2010 will require intelligence … thats why the rich get richer because they don't get caught up in the hype.

Merry christmas i'm going shopping with my daughters.

@dan42
    new_start wrote:
    This is a great blog and he predicts a severe crunch due to too much debt?? definitely worth a read and he updates quite frequently. not sure if it will happen but hemakes some damn good arguments… particularly because of the FHOG etc? I think it will hit home owners more than investors?

http://www.debtdeflation.com/blogs/2009/11/04/its-the-leverage-stupid/

He also predicted a 40% housing price drop by the end of 2009 and 15% unemployment. Even though Keen's predictions were way off, he blames the sever reduction in interest rates and government intervention instead of saying he just got it very wrong.

And as someone who is making predictions, couldn't he have seen that no government would let house prices drop by 40%? Surely govt's or the RBA were always going to intervene to steady house prices? Apparently reducing interest rates came as a shock to a professor of economics!

@wealth4life.com

Dear Dan I don't know what planet you are from or how much experience you really have …

Low end market is strong it always is at the bottom …

In Sydney EAST of Pacific Hwy and Lower North Shore and Eastern Suburbs etc properties have dropped by up to 50% … this is top market and he was right … also this can be effected more …

First home owner is a false markeyt …

Please phone all agents in Mackay, Proserpine, Airlie beach, Mission Beach, Bowen … and ask their opinion …

@dan42
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    Dear Dan I don't know what planet you are from or how much experience you really have …

Low end market is strong it always is at the bottom …

Isn't the entire point of your post that the bottom end could suffer the most if rates go up? But know you're saying it's always strong at the bottom?

wealth4life.com wrote:
    In Sydney EAST of Pacific Hwy and Lower North Shore and Eastern Suburbs etc properties have dropped by up to 50% … this is top market and he was right … also this can be effected more …

The OVERALL housing market is up about 5% this year, not down 40% like Mr. Keen predicted. That is why he is walking to Mt Kosciusko. Sure, a couple of handpicked suburbs have fallen markedly from the peak, but this isn't indicative of the broader Australian market. Or are you one of those people who think that because something is happening in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, it MUST be the same everywhere else?

Also, please provide me with some data that suburbs have fallen by 50%.

wealth4life.com wrote:
    First home owner is a false markeyt …

I'm not sure what you mean here, but First Home Owners make up less than 10% of the home buying market. Any talk of doom regarding first home owners affecting the broader market is overblown by doomsayers like Mr. Keen.

wealth4life.com wrote:
    Please phone all agents in Mackay, Proserpine, Airlie beach, Mission Beach, Bowen … and ask their opinion …

I'm too busy to do this. BUt are you telling me Airlie Beach is indicitive of the broader Australian market?

And W4L, perhaps you could be a little less preachy and critical of other people's views in future. Your shtick is wearing thin.

[/quote]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.