All Topics / Overseas Deals / Where is the soundest state/county to invest in America?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Profile photo of morekcmorekc
    @morekc
    lucigoosey wrote:
    Funny thing this US investment, everyone has a totally different opinion of where to invest.

Why doesn’t anyone talk about areas such as San Fransico, Oakland, Memphis, Seattle

As an outsider these areas seem to be very solid and they have cheap property’s as well as forecolures aswell

any thoughts experts?

memphis has proven to be a good cash flow model with lower price points similar to kansas city. the other markets seem to be a lot pricier and much lower returns from the investors i have spoken with.

Profile photo of Alistair PerryAlistair Perry
    Participant
    @aperry
    lucigoosey wrote:
    Funny thing this US investment, everyone has a totally different opinion of where to invest. Why doesn't anyone talk about areas such as San Fransico, Oakland, Memphis, Seattle As an outsider these areas seem to be very solid and they have cheap property's as well as forecolures aswell any thoughts experts?

I'm sure there are opportunities to make money everywhere in the US at the moment. The problem is that to invest there successfully you need to do more than buy well. Finance is difficult, as is property management, and it would be very difficult for someone offering a service over there to solve these issues for their clients in every market, or for an individual to solve them for themselves. Also, some markets are more depressed than others and there are very different financial landscapes in different areas. If you find an attactive market and can solve the issues that have affected Australian investors over there for years then there is no need to look anywhere else.

Profile photo of morekcmorekc
    @morekc
    APerry wrote:
    lucigoosey wrote:
    Funny thing this US investment, everyone has a totally different opinion of where to invest. Why doesn't anyone talk about areas such as San Fransico, Oakland, Memphis, Seattle As an outsider these areas seem to be very solid and they have cheap property's as well as forecolures aswell any thoughts experts?

I'm sure there are opportunities to make money everywhere in the US at the moment. The problem is that to invest there successfully you need to do more than buy well. Finance is difficult, as is property management, and it would be very difficult for someone offering a service over there to solve these issues for their clients in every market, or for an individual to solve them for themselves. Also, some markets are more depressed than others and there are very different financial landscapes in different areas. If you find an attactive market and can solve the issues that have affected Australian investors over there for years then there is no need to look anywhere else.

ABSOLUTELY!!
    if you dont have a trustworthy power team on the ground, keep your money in your pocket.
    property management is the single weakest link in the whole investing chain.
    if the property is not rented and cash flowing with DECENT tenants it is worth nothing.

Profile photo of CuthberteCuthberte
    Participant
    @cuthberte

i think california is the best place to buy a new property , or secondly i would say vegs is the city if you really want to rent your property after buying .

Profile photo of RickHRickH
    @rickh

what do you base your comments on Cuthberte. From what i see CA property is a lot more expensive giving lower returns. Growth may be better in CA but who knows.
    From what I have read and seen Vegas has high unemployment and high vacancy rates at present. Thats enough for me to look elsewhere.
    But each to there own

Profile photo of lucigooseylucigoosey
    @lucigoosey

I have herd both cases about Las Vegas.
    Its hard to say but from my research the condos don’t do that well but medium to large family homes do well and rent out easily.
    Warm climate, many tourists…… some of my research shows a declining population with a high percentage of jobless people and then again some says a growing population …… so who the hell knows……….

Profile photo of Nigel KibelNigel Kibel
    Participant
    @nigel-kibel

Vegas has fallen in value by around 47% since 2006. It has an unemployment rate of around 16% and a high vacancy rate, According to forbes magazine it is the least likely city to recover from the GFC in terms of its property market.

To me it is a one industry city and one to stay away from.

Nigel Kibel | Property Know How
    http://propertyknowhow.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

We have just launched a new website join our membership today

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

I don't always agree with Nigel's posts but in regards to Vegas I think he is 100% correct. 

@morekc
    ActToday wrote:
    I don't always agree with Nigel's posts but in regards to Vegas I think he is 100% correct. 

according to http://www.fhfa.gov this is what the las vegas market is doing.

Year Quarter Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
    2010 3 -8.38
    2010 2 -14.60
    2010 1 -19.20
    2009 4 -18.89
    2009 3 -22.12
    2009 2 -26.78
    2009 1 -29.75
    2008 4 -33.77
    2008 3 -29.23
    2008 2 -20.68
    2008 1 -13.02

this is kansas city

Year Quarter Kansas City, MO-KS
    2010 3 -0.58
    2010 2 -2.85
    2010 1 -4.44
    2009 4 -1.76
    2009 3 -1.25
    2009 2 -1.50
    2009 1 -1.08
    2008 4 -2.68
    2008 3 -2.46
    2008 2 -1.09
    2008 1 -0.10

Profile photo of ActTodayActToday
    Participant
    @acttoday

Having a quiet day here and spending time checking out the various sites and data available.  Seems many States have slowed their decline and 2011 is not expected to be very bright as expected.  I'm still very happy with my investment plan and will continue to purchase.  Kansas City does look good but it is not in my target area.

Profile photo of spyglassltdspyglassltd
    @spyglassltd

We invest in several different areas of the US for clients. Personally I like investing in Florida because ive lived there for five years and traded hundreds of houses and know it really well, and believe in its medium term fundamentals. We also buy in places like Indianapolis for clients but this is to execute a specific strategy which works best on low income houses.

I don't like Detroit as the taxes are super high and from Novemeber this year you need to pay the taxes for the upcoming year when you take ownership. Also there are a lot of sharks especially in the UK who are basically agents of agents of agents and essentially fifty percent of  the investment price is commissions.

There are great deals to be had all over the US but I think it comes down to either investing in areas which you know or in areas where the person who you are trusting to supply you with deals knows. In my opinion any time you have more than one agent involved in a deal you should walk away as you will be paying double commissions, and its not always transparent what they are.

Regards,

Mark
    Spylassltd

Profile photo of Top Rental ReturnsTop Rental Returns
    Participant
    @top-rental-returns

I can not agree more – it is a very different market place that what we are used to in Australia. It is a different mentality in comparison to Oz.

You have to know what you are doing and yes be very careful of buying direct through real estate agents over there as they will just sell you what ever they can for a commission – they don't really care what you buy.

It seems that there are some buyers agents who have been in the game for a while and are finding good deals for people with high returns in reasonable cities and areas. Do your research as there are some unbelievable deals out there at present that you just can't walk past. Huge 4 bedroom houses for $50K in reasonable areas with very good rental returns.

Profile photo of xarpxarp
    Participant
    @xarp
    morekc wrote:
    ActToday wrote:

according to http://www.fhfa.gov this is what the las vegas market is doing. Year Quarter Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 2010 3 -8.38 2010 2 -14.60 2010 1 -19.20 2009 4 -18.89 2009 3 -22.12 2009 2 -26.78 2009 1 -29.75 2008 4 -33.77 2008 3 -29.23 2008 2 -20.68 2008 1 -13.02 this is kansas city Year Quarter Kansas City, MO-KS 2010 3 -0.58 2010 2 -2.85 2010 1 -4.44 2009 4 -1.76 2009 3 -1.25 2009 2 -1.50 2009 1 -1.08 2008 4 -2.68 2008 3 -2.46 2008 2 -1.09 2008 1 -0.10

Thanks for sharing the numbers! Have you invested in Kansas then? I actually bought there a Multifamily property last month – in Topeka, Kansas.
    I wrote a short article about my experiences here: http://www.buyingpropertyinusa.net .
    It is a 5-unit building and I got it for $55,000 and financed partially by the owner, so I paid just $12,000!

What are your experiences with Kansas? Did you buy something directly in Kansas City? I was checking the market there as well, but the return on investment seemed to be lower.
    Also, if you have some good contacts for handymen or property managers, could you PM them?

Cheers

@morekc
    xarp wrote:
    morekc wrote:
    ActToday wrote:

according to http://www.fhfa.gov this is what the las vegas market is doing. Year Quarter Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 2010 3 -8.38 2010 2 -14.60 2010 1 -19.20 2009 4 -18.89 2009 3 -22.12 2009 2 -26.78 2009 1 -29.75 2008 4 -33.77 2008 3 -29.23 2008 2 -20.68 2008 1 -13.02 this is kansas city Year Quarter Kansas City, MO-KS 2010 3 -0.58 2010 2 -2.85 2010 1 -4.44 2009 4 -1.76 2009 3 -1.25 2009 2 -1.50 2009 1 -1.08 2008 4 -2.68 2008 3 -2.46 2008 2 -1.09 2008 1 -0.10

Thanks for sharing the numbers! Have you invested in Kansas then? I actually bought there a Multifamily property last month – in Topeka, Kansas.
    I wrote a short article about my experiences here: http://www.buyingpropertyinusa.net .
    It is a 5-unit building and I got it for $55,000 and financed partially by the owner, so I paid just $12,000!

What are your experiences with Kansas? Did you buy something directly in Kansas City? I was checking the market there as well, but the return on investment seemed to be lower.
    Also, if you have some good contacts for handymen or property managers, could you PM them?

Cheers

i am actually 1 of the largest home buyers in kansas city. i buy 5-15 properties a month that we rehab, place tenants and sell to investors globally. i actually bought 20 properties in December. we also have a property management company and manage approx 400 properties in the kansas city area. our returns are based upon risk. higher risk urban neighborhoods will have much higher returns than “A” properties in “A” neighborhoods.
    our website is http://www.morekc.com.
    let me know if i can assist.

Profile photo of xarpxarp
    Participant
    @xarp

Wow, that's great! I thought you might be just own 1 property and you are a wholesaler.

I am investing on my own, so I probably wouldn't use your services in buying a property – but theoretically I maybe could see if you could help me with rehabbing in the future.

By the way, have you also checked Topeka, KS market?  What are your thoughts about that?

@morekc
    xarp wrote:
    Wow, that's great! I thought you might be just own 1 property and you are a wholesaler.

I am investing on my own, so I probably wouldn't use your services in buying a property – but theoretically I maybe could see if you could help me with rehabbing in the future.

By the way, have you also checked Topeka, KS market?  What are your thoughts about that?

i am not familiar with the topeka market. really any market can be profitable if you have the proper power team in place. where people get into trouble investing is buying the wrong property, hiring bad contractors, over/under rehabbing for the market and having lousy property management. every property looks good on a pro-forma. its actually achieving the numbers that is sometimes hard.

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

My research to date has put Texas cities at the top of the list, San Antonio and Houston. Both large cities with inexpensive real estate. They didn’t go through the boom bust cycle anywhere near as much in Texas and has always been good value. For the size of the cities, their median prices are fantastic.

Profile photo of Treasure HunterTreasure Hunter
    Participant
    @treasure-hunter
    mattnz wrote:
    My research to date has put Texas cities at the top of the list, San Antonio and Houston. Both large cities with inexpensive real estate. They didn’t go through the boom bust cycle anywhere near as much in Texas and has always been good value. For the size of the cities, their median prices are fantastic.

Hi mattnz,

I am really keen to hear more from you as to why those 2 Texas cities are your favourites. It obviously depends on your investment strategy and risk profile.

Texas’ employment figures and economy impress me (compared to Florida for instance), so I see it as a relatively “safe” investment. But I am having trouble seeing where the high ROI can come from with their relatively higher purchases, and where the opportunity is for high capital growth (as you say, they have not had the boom-bust cycle of other cities). You may well have research that proves my beliefs on these 2 matters unfounded…….

May I ask, if you have purchased properties there, what price range were they in, and what ROI are you achieving? And is that with section 8 tenants?

Cheers, TH

@morekc

i am also curious about those numbers from an investor stand point. the returns i have been seeing in Texas average around the 10% cap rate range which is ok for “A” properties in “A” neighborhoods but nowhere close to the numbers available in other “investor friendly” markets that tend to average 15%+. with that being said, Austin is 1 of my top 5 cities to live in and ranks very high in the owner occupied markets.

According to http://www.fhfa.gov, here are the 3rd quarter numbers on the home price index for 2010;

Austin -.48% Average home value – $283k Cost of living index 101% of national average – $47k avg income

Houston -.93% Average home value – $192k Cost of living index 91% of national average – $41k avg income

Kansas City -.58% Average home value – $146k Cost of living index 88% of national average – $44k avg income

Profile photo of Michael YenarcMichael Yenarc
    @michael-yenarc

I have recently joined and at the moment am acquiring information as to how investors view markets in various countries. I live in England and have looked at companies here to see what they are offering to potential and seasoned investors and there seems to be a growing trend for properties and land in the USA. One of the companies I talked with have an extensive knowledge and flexible options on what I wanted to achieve with my investing plans and although I haven’t committed yet, (which is due to my over zealous need for information ha!) I was impressed with their procedure and manner towards my lack of experience. And as a new investor seeking good opportunities, the one area that scares me is the lack of experience and that is why I join groups to see peoples experiences and learn. I would welcome any feedback regarding experiences and/or advice from seasoned investors.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.