All Topics / Help Needed! / Extra room without Council approval!

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of financial_freedomfinancial_freedom
    @financial_freedom

Hi everyone, i have found a old property of 437sqm in the western sydney area which was part of a bigger lot that got divided into two. The owners built a new home on the smaller 300sqm land and are selling the old house for a reasonable price. It is listed for about 40k cheaper than other properties in the area and one street away is the next suburb with prices about 100k more! Now i put in an offer and on my second inspection i found out that the third room or games room was actually some sort of car port or pergola that has been enclosed and looks just like any other room. However they never got council approval for this. So if i end up buying this place what sort of problems will i face in the future?? could i get fined? Or is it likely that the council will say to knock it down? Please help as i have no idea what may happen. The council involved is the Liverpool City Council.

thanks in advance

Profile photo of Stewy89Stewy89
    @stewy89

Ring up your council anonymously don't tell them the address or anything. All councils deal with things differently

Profile photo of financial_freedomfinancial_freedom
    @financial_freedom

Thanks Stewy89.

I did call them just after i put this post up and they said that i would need to put in some application which would cost around $210 and also i need to get some survey done, they couldnt tell me how much the survey would cost. They said that as long as it is structurely sound that it should be ok. So im still unsure what to do, although i really think the future prospects are really worth it.

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

i'm not sure if this is applicable in NSW, but in WA when you make an offer to purchase you can put various clauses that the offer is subject to. I would state a clause that the offer to purchase the house is subject to the vendor providing evidence of council approval, or if not available then the vendor lodging the application at their cost…

i just don't know if this process works elsewhere! :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.