All Topics / Overseas Deals / Aussie off to buy US property – anyone want to join me??

Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)
  • Profile photo of WinteroseWinterose
    Participant
    @winterose

Hi Dean,

You seem to have a clear grasp on the situation.

Dymphna has a program for buying real estate in US, she ran a 2 day course in Feb in Sydney which was the precursor for it.

Carly went to US last year for 1 or 2 months and bought 120 properties. She has a program now, she is not running it herself, but it's through ccorp.

I am off to US on Sunday to look at properties.
    The way I see it, you can either do it yourself, but only if you have lots of time to go over, stay and study the market and renovate. Or you get a buyers agent  that you can trust, who will make his margin, but will make sure you will buy in a good area – go over yourself check out what they recommend and get a feel of the place and for your agent. Most importantly they will set you up with a good managing agent. The quality of the managing agent is as important as the purchase itself.
    We have friends in New Jersey, they bought a property in Texas – also thru a buying agent as they can't renovate and manage it themselves even though it's only 4 hours away.

If unemployment goes up then more people will be renting rather than being owner occupiers. This only applies in areas where there is job growth. Americans are much more likely to pack up and move where the jobs are (and Detroit is definitely not it).

The maintenance is not expensive as labour is cheap, clearing the snow is similar to mowing the lawn here – we have been quoted $15/month (he had to repeat it "that is one five not five zero"). Utilities are paid by the tenant unless it's a duplex or an apartment building with a single meter.

If you check out real estate websites you can get the council taxes (rates). They can probably  be adjusted if the property fell in price since they had it valued last.

Cheers

Vicky

Profile photo of dtooveydtoovey
    @dtoovey

Thanks winterose

I'm looking at using a property buyer in melbourne, so i would have no problem using one in the US.

I'd still go over and check things out myself but i'm happy to pay for good avice and even better if they find and bring in a good deal with less risk.

Dean

Profile photo of kamerukakameruka
    @kameruka

Hey Investors

We have just wrapped up two property tours in Michigan and would be happy to pass on a contact number for someone who went on the trip if you wanted some feedback.
    This is just someone like yourself who wanted to know more so it may assist you in taking any next step you may want to do, either in Michigan or elsewhere.

Profile photo of Top Rental ReturnsTop Rental Returns
    Participant
    @top-rental-returns
    sapphire101 wrote:
    The previous sales data for 677 Alta Place regarding the $22,500 sale appears on the "Property Data" document Mike & Bron are giving to investors if they care to read it thoroughly, but is not mentioned in the promotion of the property. Is this just a "newbie" oversight perhaps, however it does have some bearing on the deal methinks, how it is promoted and if correct shows quite clearly how far prices have dropped in this part of town.$355k down to $22k wow, that's amazing.

and this from a born and bred Atlantan property investor after he perused the same documents…   

"…. Its some tricky business here in Atlanta. Certainly there are seemingly amazing houses for the money all over the place, but to me location, location, location still rules.I generally do not focus at all on areas that I would not be comfortable going into. This does not mean there isn't money to be made. The Alta location is off Bankhead Ave and is unfortunately one of the most undesirable corridors in Atlanta"……

Sapphire,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, we have been flat out.

It’s great to have our first professional critic. Thank you for your praise. We know we are doing very good things for people. There are few errors you have made once again due to not contacting us directly which in turn has lead to making assumptions as to the way we work. Most importantly 677 Alta Place Atlanta – the duplex which you said was purchased 6 months ago for 20K is in fact a REO or bank owned property which we have purchased on behalf of our client. We do not hold and on sell any of our own property preferring to source great deals for investors direct from the banks foreclosed inventory.

Please find attached, as you may not have seen, the tax records for this property. These have come from the FMLS listing details which we pass onto clients and details the county appraised values, sales history and mortgage details as you have explained in your post. The figure you discussed of $22,500 was the actual foreclosure deed on the property on 12th Nov 09 – not a sale price. The last actual market sale on the property was 29th Nov 2005 for $255,000. We are more than happy to go through these reports that can appear confusing even to experienced investors. We do feel it is essential to provide as much information as we can for people to make an educated decision and welcome people to question the figures.

Last Market Sale:
    Recording Date: : 11/29/2005 Deed Type: : Warranty Deed
    Settle Date: : 09/27/2005 Owner Name: : Hsi Asset Securization Corp
    Sale Price: : $355,000 Seller: : Carter Jimmy L
    Document No: : 41414-424 Price Per Sq Ft: : $113.35

Sales History: More History
    Recording Date: : 11/12/2009 11/29/2005 05/16/2005 01/24/2003
    Sale/Settlement Date: : 10/06/2009 09/27/2005 05/05/2005 12/18/2002
    Sale Price: : $22,500 $355,000 $214,900 $330,000
    Buyer Name: : Hsi Asset Securization Corp Hassan Tayyeba & Naim F Carter Jimmy L Muhammad Zakiyyah
    Seller Name: : Hassan Naim & Tayyeba Carter Jimmy L Novastar Mortgage Inc Carter Betty
    Document No: : 48531-197 41414-424 40013-427 34068-215
    Document Type: : Foreclosure Deed Warranty Deed Limited Warranty Deed Warranty

Now we have addressed that issue lets go into the deal a little closer as you have chosen this one as the example.

We have been very conservative with the figures we have provided the client presenting under estimated rents based on comparable data and over estimating renovation costs. Our final build quote came in nearly 10K cheaper which of course our client is delighted with. This property will then have a net 25% return – where else in the world can you achieve that?

Expenses include ongoing insurance, property management and county taxes.

Taxes on foreclosed properties are based on the county assessed value which occurs generally every two years. Therefore as we are dealing with properties that sold for high prices in the boom the county taxes appear high. Due to the low purchase price our clients are picking up properties for, we suggest they request a new appraisal of the property which in turn may reduce the county value and therefore the county taxes required to be paid.

We cannot know what the future taxes are to be upon reappraisal and have therefore done our best to estimate/calculate this figure.

We do not know of any other agent in Australia or the US providing the level of service we do, plus the added benefit of dealing with Australians on the ground. We do not load any services or take trails or kickbacks from any referrer and actively hunt for the best services and prices for our clients.

We search for properties based on our client’s interests and our strict requirements. It is a balance to find desirable property in quality areas for a low purchase price. We could find property in prestigious areas such as Buckhead with a much larger budget, but they would not return 20% net ,defeating the purpose of investing in high yielding property which is what we are all after on this forum.

We do not sell property we would not be comfortable to buy ourselves. We walk away from many properties where the area, the street or the property do not stack up. We know people would expect no less of us. We believe our standards are quite high.

Alta Place is a quiet no through street where the neighbours are very friendly and houseproud. Not what I would call “the hood” in anyway shape or form. It may be interesting for your Atlantan contact to drive the street and take a look. And finally yes we agree this is a brilliant high yielding deal, as does the client.

This is not a market where you can buy anything simply because it is cheap and we agree that location is important. Not all areas off the Bankhead Hwy are suitable to invest in but this pocket is.

Rather than batting backwards and forwards on the forum please give us a call to go through any queries you may have as we are happy to discuss our process and the way we invest at anytime and would love to hear about your investment experiences in the US.

At the end of the day we are all on this forum looking to achieve the goal of investing in high yielding property and it would be far more helpful for people to hear about others investment experiences rather than tear apart the efforts of people are trying to or thinking about having a go.

By the way we are here in Atlanta everyday and if you would like to drop in we would love to show you or anyone around our properties. Once again please contact us via our contact details below. We would like to show you a bit about us, what we do, our conviction to our clients and our process.

For hardworking Australians investing in US foreclosure real estate we are trying to do very good things for people just like us.

Although it is imperative to understand the risks involved with any investment or purchase we do believe it to be more fruitful for longtime forum goers like yourself to lead by personal example, particularly if the experience relates to the forum at hand. Otherwise it does appear to be nitpicking at those sharing and having ago by those that are not. Thoughts?

Profile photo of expat123expat123
    @expat123

Mike and Bronwyn, thank you for all the great info you have posted on this site.

Can I ask how many of the properties you have sold now have tenants??

Because some of the earlier properties must have been renovated and on the market for quite some time now.

Profile photo of doublekfarmdoublekfarm
    @doublekfarm

Hello
    Lived in Atlanta for 10 years before coming out to the Midwest.  I beg to differ on the statement  "Taxes on foreclosed properties are based on the county assessed value which occurs generally every two years."  Taxes are done by the county officials every year for every property, they are open to public enquiry via the internet at no charge. 
    Atlanta has been terribly over built, and overpriced, hence the massive losses that have been taken by homeowners in the last 5 years. Yes, there are awesome deals to be had there thats for sure, quality built homes in nice neighborhoods, BUT..if the state is classed as having one of the highest unemployment rates in the US, then you have to expect losses as an investor due to no one renting from you.
    You guys are doing a good job, dont get me wrong and I truly believe you have your clients interests as the  #1 priority for your business, so I hope you dont take offence at my 2 cents worth :)))

Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Aussie off to buy US property – anyone want to join me??’ is closed to new replies.