All Topics / Overseas Deals / Investing in New York

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of mjmccabe76mjmccabe76
    @mjmccabe76

I am Australian and I found it hard to get started investing overseas. I was wondering if there are other Australians out there with the same problem. I found a decent book from http://seekingfortuneinnewyorkstate.com/ and I am using it to get started. It seems to be working well.

I am wondering if there are other Australians out there in the US housing market and what their experiences are out there.

Thanks

MJ

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Hi MJ

Contact me – [email protected]
    I am from Melbourne living in NYC

Cheers
    Ian

Profile photo of jaysond79jaysond79
    @jaysond79

What's sort of returns are you getting in NYC. I'm refering to rental return. Also what are the prices around there?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

All you need to do is a search on the subject from previous posts and you will learn a little of the issues that are involved in owning property in the USA. 

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of kamerukakameruka
    @kameruka

Hey MJ

I was over in NY in July looking at loads of investment properties around Rochester and Buffalo but found a much higher quality of home with better returns elsewhere in America.

If it return on investment and knowledge about investing in America send me an email.

Jason Simpson

Profile photo of rishi333rishi333
    @rishi333

Hey Ian,

How is life in NYC?  O u own a house or r u renting. Im in Melbourne n thinking of buying REO properties in US. How are the

the Prices in NYC?

Tx
           Rishi

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Rishi

Give it a month and you can but them a wee bit cheaper.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

Beware: investing in NY can be hazardous to your income:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent_control_in_New_York

The concept of a city council controlling how much rent a LL can collect is probably a little foreign to most Aussie investors.

Profile photo of sapphire101sapphire101
    Participant
    @sapphire101

Singer why would you buy a rent controlled property? ( And Wikipedia is not the best resource). There are thousands upon thousands of alternative properties where you control what rent you charge.

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer
    sapphire101 wrote:
    Singer why would you buy a rent controlled property? ( And Wikipedia is not the best resource). There are thousands upon thousands of alternative properties where you control what rent you charge.

This is true, but the concept of rent control is just not on most Australian investor's radars.  I was just pointing it out as something to look out for among the many hazards of buying in the USA.

Profile photo of rlillycroprlillycrop
    @rlillycrop

There are better areas to invest in than Buffalo, Rochester and Western New York.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.