All Topics / Value Adding / Installing a new toilet and shower

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of MalPMalP
    @malp

Hi folks,

Bought a house in Yarraville, Melbourne that has only one bathroom and toilet. The bathroom which is large-ish has just a circular shower curtain around the shower area, and a vanity unit. The toilet is in the laundry, in a little room off of it.

At a rough guess, how much do you think it would cost to put in a second toilet into the bathroom, install a proper shower in there, and then also install another shower in the laundry? There's plenty of space in the laundry as well.

This would make it a 3 bedder with two bathrooms, and I suspect will spike the rental a fair bit? Could only get $320 at present.

Any tips on a good plumber who could arrange this?

Thanks!

Profile photo of jmiellejmielle
    Participant
    @jmielle

A shower is around $1000, a toilet a couple hundred bucks. Most of the plumming is already there so it shouldn’t be too much.
    sewerage will have to be extended into the bathroom. It’s difficult to say without being there, my advice is get at least five quotes.
    I would estimate around $4K, providing you do some of the work yourself but it’s a wild guess. Wish I could be more helpful, let us know the results please. Cheers,

Profile photo of MalPMalP
    @malp

Thanks Joel. Spoke to a company that renovates houses, and they reckon putting in a new toilet into the bathroom and adding a shower to the laundry, as well as ripping up the carpet and sanding and polishing the wood floor for the whole house plus painting two bedrooms will come out to be around $6000.

Does that sound reasonable? Being an interstate investor, it's difficult to organise individual tradies yourself.

Profile photo of jmiellejmielle
    Participant
    @jmielle

It’s probably not far off, but get lots of quotes it’s really well worth the effort.

Profile photo of BRG1200BRG1200
    Participant
    @brg1200

Doing the bathroom work and sanding and polishing the wooden floors in the whole house? How many square metres is that?
    Sounds like you're broadening the scope a bit!

Profile photo of charlie9ercharlie9er
    Participant
    @charlie9er

Hi, i might be able to help you, if you haven’t got what you need already. I just started a business / service for time poor investors who want to value add to their IPs. i do 3D designs so that you can see what you’re after before anything gets torn down or purchased. I’ve done this for my two properties and the finished product looks like the finished design. i do 90% of the work and organize the professionals to do the work i can’t certify, i.e sewer plumbing, electrical etc… but it saves you all the running around especially if you’re interstate.

If i can be of assistance please feel free to call me on 0406 488 153 or 03 5256 2889.

Samm
    Bellarine Property Rejuvenations

Profile photo of MalPMalP
    @malp

It's about 100sqm for the sand and polish and yes a bit of scope creep :) The carpet is quite ratty so decided to rip it out.

I'm actually also thinking about resurfacing the bathroom and laundry tiles as well… have a professional paint over the tiles using the resurfacing techniques they have these days – cheaper than a full bathroom reno. Want to do that for the kitchen as well, re-laminate it.

Samm – could you flick me an email? Thanks.

Mal

Profile photo of charlie9ercharlie9er
    Participant
    @charlie9er

Hi  Mal,

can't find your email address here, mine is [email protected] or [email protected]. i'm currently doing a bathroom reno at my own home so i'm right onto bathroom designs at the moment…

love the chance to help if you'd like,

samm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.