All Topics / Help Needed! / How to find out who owns a property to make them an offer?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of FordGT18FordGT18
    @fordgt18

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how to go about this, but I found this house which is an absolute dump; I'm not even sure if it is being lived in, with overgrown trees and grass covering the whole block, and the house is pretty bad too, but looks to be complete from the outside.

I'm sure it would be reasonably cheap to buy if the owner wanted to sell it, but how would I get in contact with them to make them an offer? Could a realestate agent find out who it is and contact them on my behalf? Call me chicken, but there is NO way I'm going up to knock on the front door. :(

I thought it might make a good renovation project. Give it a quick one and then rent it out or sell it.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys,

Matthew

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Post a letter to the adress.

Do a title search and you can find out their names – but you won't find out where they live.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of FordGT18FordGT18
    @fordgt18

Hey thanks for that Terry. Should have thought of that myself lol.

Thanks heaps,

Matthew

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Hi Matthew, as a real estate agent it is always a good idea to knock on doors that seem over grown- cos they might sell. I went into real estate to help people and I really am more interested in investing. But what I have found in the main, (NOT ALL BUT MANY)  is that vendors over value their property so its not always true that it is cheaper if you buy direct. It is worth a try and a good tactic. You can buy sales data from RP Data but I am not sure if it gives you the owner information when you buy it. Agents subscribe to this (and other programs out there) as a tool for sales prices. I think you can get it from state registers as well, titles office or go to council and ask. Sometimes they tell you everything! If you are in Melbourne get along to my meeting: Free meeting to talk about property and network with like minded people in Melbourne Dec 7. Come chat with me and others who have done property deals. And people who ARE doing it! Come hear what it takes to get down to it! And share stories. email me [email protected] to get details. See you all there Christine

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Another method is to get a special option on the property if you have time on your side.
    Called First right to refuse.
    So you get first option to buy if they sell it in the future.
    So if it was an elderly person and they passed away you would have first option to buy it from the benificiaries

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity
    FordGT18 wrote:
    Call me chicken, but there is NO way I'm going up to knock on the front door. :(

And just one more way Matthew, would be to hire a local buyers agent to do some investigating for you (he/she will have access to same info the real estate selling agents have), advise you of market worth and do the negotiations for you as well.

Profile photo of WomeninPropMelbWomeninPropMelb
    @womeninpropmelb

Hi, Now what a great idea. In what area are you looking? I can help you find a buyers agent if you are in Melbourne. Call me soon Christine

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.