All Topics / Overseas Deals / Can i buy a freehold property in Phillippines,Laos,Thailand, Vietnam?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of gocoastalgocoastal
    @gocoastal

I am interested in purchasing a property , in any of the above mentioned Countries.? Is it possible to buy freehold, or ways around the system to purchase other than over prices and inflated Condo settings?  Any help or stories of experience appreciated.thx

mattnz
    Participant
    @mattnz

A foreigner can't own land in philippines, but you can buy a condo.

I understand that you can own in Thailand though.

No idea about the rest.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

In Thailand a foreigner cannot legally own land. But there are a few ways in which you can get around things.

1. Form a company. The company must have a majority of Thai shareholders, some say 51% otthers 61%. You will need 6 Thais and yourself in there. It is best to try to get 6 people who do not know each other so it is harder for them to plot against you. You can also have different classes of shares – them with shares that have no voting rights attached so that you can control the company at all times.

This is less than ideal as you have minority shareholdings and things could change and your may lose control. There are also complexities with set up and tax issues etc.

2. Get a Thai person to own the land, you can then construct a dwelling on it and retain ownership of the dwelling with proper paperwork etc. This only works with new stuff tho.

3. Get a thai person to own the house and land and you can then enter into a lease with them for 30 years (the max) with the option to renew twice, so a 90 year lease in effect. This can be registered on title and any prospective purchasers would be scared away.

But why would you want to buy in Thailand? it is very risky, much better and cheaper to rent in my opinion. Invest your money in Australia.

I would never buy in Thailand for a few reasons including:
    – corruption is rife. Things can be changed for money – eg your lease may be removed from title, house may be mortgaged without your knowledge etc. you don't want to get involved with this sort of shit.

– It will be difficult to get a loan there unless you are workign there.
    – If you want to rent it out you will be ripped off by everyone – repairs, management, water charges, electricity etc.
    – Politically unstable. Thereis a coup every 9 years on average.
    – King is getting old, when he dies there could be large disruptions, political conflct etc

Invest here and rent there.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.