All Topics / Help Needed! / Which insurances should i get??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of HelenaMHelenaM
    @helenam

hi everyone

my first ip settles on monday so i need to organise some insurance.

its a small 2 bdr furnished unit in a 10yo block of 15.

i have mortgage insurance and i suppose i need landlords insurance.

do i get the landlords insurance via rta and are there any other insurances i should consider?

all comments are appreciated

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Income protection.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

When you say you have mortgage insurance – this may not be correct. If you are referring to the mortgage insurance that you pay when you get the loan, then this only covers the bank if you default and there is a shortfall. You will still be liable and will be pursued by the insurance company to cough up the rest.

If you have mortgage protection insurance, then this will cover you for the repayments of the loans if you cannot due to illness etc. But these tend to be expensive and you would be better off with income protection, possibly.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of ve2sQuie1ve2sQuie1
    @ve2squie1

I'm also interested in what is required as I am about to rent out my first IP.

If I have a property manager managing the apartment, do I still need to take out landlord insurance?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    bator.h wrote:
    I'm also interested in what is required as I am about to rent out my first IP.

If I have a property manager managing the apartment, do I still need to take out landlord insurance?

It may still be a good idea as you can be covered for things like damage to the property or loss of rent if the tenants skip out etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of HelenaMHelenaM
    @helenam

thanks for the above advise.. has anyone used suncorps tailored package for property investing?

Profile photo of Forest Lake PMForest Lake PM
    @forest-lake-pm

Hi again Helena :)

Stay away from NRMA and AAMI – both I have had bad experinces with for my owners trying to claim on them. Suncorp was good. Terri Scheer is one of the best, but I am pretty sure that you need an agent to get into them… CGU I think also does it.

And yes, even if you do have an agent GET LANDLORD INSURANCE!!! Make sure it covers you for….
     – Contents insurance (curtains, carpets fixtures and fittings)
     – Public Liability
     – Malicious Damage
     – Accidental Damage
     – Arrears

Read the fine print too, there are some out there that will cover you for lots, but you have to hand over the WHOLE bond when claiming (much more than any normal excess). Also double check the bonds and I have had one company not want to cover the owner as the rent went up 2 weeks ago and the tenant hadn't topped up their bond (paid extra on the bond when rent increases) – but they have a month to pay it and no legal requirement through the RTA to do so, but was a condition on the landlord insurance… Read it all :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.