All Topics / Help Needed! / buying first IP… subdivide, sell and hold.. trust?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of scottsscotts
    @scotts

Hi,

I've gotten to the point were I am ready to start looking at investment properties.

I currently own an apartment with around 180k owing, in September the apartment below me sold for 540k (i know that doesn't mean that much but its good sign).

At this point I want to keep living in the apartment because I like the area, but I can't afford to buy a house around here, unless I take out a mortgage which will take a life time to pay, if i make some other smart property moves in the next 5+ years i'm sure i can buy a house in a area i like.

I've been told by my broker I can borrow around 420k.

I'm interested in buying in the outer suburbs, house on a big enough block to subdivide and build one/two units in the back.

Depending on what I end up buying, I will most likely sell one (if i only build one) of the properties and keep one (which will defiantly be positive).

I was going to do it under a trust (by increasing my personal mortgage to get a deposit + 20%, then taking out 80% loan under a trust ( DT with corporate trustee).

But with the plan to sell off some or more of the properties, would I be better off doing it under my own name?

If I am lucky to find a cheap and big enough place to build 2 units, I might be able to keep all three as positive, which would be ideal.. then the trust would be worth while..

No sure what else info i should give.. i'm under 30, married without children. the loans will be based on my income alone as my wife has been studying for the last few years.

Also can I buy the house in my name, then when building the unit(s) put them under a Trust or would I have to pay stamp duty to do that?

Can anyone offer some advice?

thanks

scotts

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.