All Topics / Help Needed! / What to do with Tax refund ? Buy IP or Pay mortgage (non deductable)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of vsdabhivsdabhi
    @vsdabhi

Hi All,
    I have received $18937 tax refund yesterday. I need advice. What should I do with that money. We still pay mortgage on our PPOR. One of my friends told me that add 5-6 K and buy an investment property (95% loan, property range $250K-$275K). My wife asked me to pay off mortgage ASAP.
    We ahve 3 IPs. Please advice.
    Thanks

Profile photo of jmiellejmielle
    Participant
    @jmielle

I would pay off the mortgage for peace of mind and then borrow against it so you can claim tax. You can’t claim tax off your mortgage.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Put it in an offset account where balance comes of PPOR home loan interest calculation –  linked to your PPOR home loan !!
    Then later on if you need the $18k for something else like an investment purpose then it is on call to be used .

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I would do a bit of both.

Stick the funds in a 100% offset linked to your PPOR and then structure the loan in such a manner that you can also buy a further IP.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of vsdabhivsdabhi
    @vsdabhi

Thanks a lot.
    I need to ask bank whether I have off set account. When I borrowed for my last property, bank asked me to cancel withdrawal facility. It was last year, I have to ask. Thanks for help.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw
    vsdabhi wrote:
    Thanks a lot. I need to ask bank whether I have off set account. When I borrowed for my last property, bank asked me to cancel withdrawal facility. It was last year, I have to ask. Thanks for help.

If you have to ask then you probably don't have one – you should know about it.

Always pay off private debt first and then reborrow to invest. You will have the same amount available but more deductions.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.