All Topics / Value Adding / Bathroom Vanity & Floor facelift need help???

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of HelenaMHelenaM
    @helenam

Hi everyone…

I am pleased to say that i have recently purchased my first investment property.
    On my second inspection i noticed everything appears to be in better condition than i first thought except for the bathroom basin & floor tiles, both are a dated light blue.  We are hoping to get rid of the light blue and replace furniture etc with black & white & glass to give it a more modern look.  I noticed the taps are on an angle and not centre back of basin so i was thinking perhaps i could find a product to paint over the top of the basin and perhaps would do the floor tiles as well.

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Helena

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster
    Profile photo of Renoah04Renoah04
    @renoah04

Hi, I have recently completed a few home renovations and managed to complete them all on a budget.

Some advice first up, I personally try and avoid trends that are very modern, especially if you are planning on keeping the investment property, as it will only out date sooner, I stick to more neutral co lours that still look great but also more timeless (I use a lot of white).

There are now products on the market that you can buy to paint over tiles etc, however I have heard mixed reviews on the outcome, once aain I guess this would depend on whether you were planning on keeping the property or selling straight after renovation.

What I have found works well: I have purchased new vanities from builders and renovators auctions where you usually save up to 80% on products, I also purchase tiles from tile liquidators and save approx 50%, if you or someone you know is handy you may even be able to lay the tiles yourself, otherwise you will find if you get enough quotes tilers are not all expensive.

I have had great results in terms of post renovation valuations and one thing agents have always commented on was the nice bathrooms.

I hope this helps. and good luck :)

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

You can use White knight tle paint on the tiles. This looks ok, but not suitable for the basin.
    The biggest issue you may have with an old bathroom is the waterproofing. You can pretty it up all you like on the outside, but if the waterproofing is not up to scratch, then you may find you have to re-do all the work down the track. So spend as little amount as possible on a spruce up, or consider whether a new bathroom would be better value

As renoah mentioned, sticking to neutral colours will dat better then anything too funky. Accessorise with mirrors, glass shelves, towles etc. These are a cheap option, and really lift a tired bathroom

good luck with the project

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.