All Topics / Commercial Property / Commercial Lease

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of guywoodguywood
    @guywood

Hi all,

I own a block behind the main street of a nice coastal town. It’s currently got an old house with 2 flats.
    The street is starting to be developed with new offices, Police stn, doctors surgery etc.
    It’s zoned for mixed use commercial/residential.

I don’t want to sell & don’t want to develop myself, I’d rather go scuba diving.

So, I’ve been wondering …. would it be possible to lease the land very long term to a someone who wanted to build & lease out a mix of offices/units on the block? Do people do this sort of thing?

Guy

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Generally not. Depending upon the state that you are in, leases longer than 10 or 20 years can be considered a subdivision (sometimes not permitted under LEP/DCP) or alternatively a way of getting around paying stampduty and not permitted.

Even if a long-term lease was feasible, you would only be getting a return on the value of the land, not the improvements

Profile photo of guywoodguywood
    @guywood

Ah well,
    Thanks for the reply Scott.
    I’d be happy with a return on the land value, just to retain ownership.

Profile photo of WazMelbourneWazMelbourne
    @wazmelbourne

Would a partnership with a developer provide RoI, lifestyle, and your scuba diving benefits?
    Is the zoning likely to change in the area?
    Perhaps you'd end up with a minority share of a much large pie?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.