All Topics / General Property / Water Usage – Getting Tenants to Pay

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Profile photo of jacprujacpru
    @jacpru

my granny flat has its own water meter.

the agent told that they cant go out to the property to read the water meter the same time as sydney water to determine how much water each tenant uses so I'll have to bear the cost.

can someone recommend a good real estate agent in western sydney?

thanks again all.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Does Sydney Water read the meter or is it a sub-meter (after the board's meter)? If it is read by SW, what's the issue? If it is a sub-meter, then the agent should go out and read the meter and deduct the usage from the first building and charge the tenant of the granny flat.

If you change agents, put it in their duties.

Profile photo of rusty05rusty05
    @rusty05

Great read, thanks,

We paid part water for a NSW IP because of the 'garden factor' but want the tenant to pay for the in in the ACT but the agent says we have to. Has anyone had any experience in Canberra on this one?

Rusty

Profile photo of seqelseqel
    @seqel

Hi Ppls,

Does anyone else think that we should we should be pushing our tenants to be paying the entire water bill?  ie the water usage as well as the connection fee?

I get that the landlord needs to maintain the connection but everybody has to poop why is it the landlord that has to pay the connection fee? We dont pay for their telephone connection or their electricity, why their sewer?

JUst a thought, I'm interested to here any arguements for and against.

Profile photo of CatalystCatalyst
    Participant
    @catalyst

What? that's ridiculous.

If you have separate meters you get 2 accounts right? Or they listed separately on the one account? Either way you just photocopy the account and send it to the agent. They forward to to the tenant.

Where in Western Sydney? It's a big place.

Elliot Shiner in MT Druitt is great.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

In Victoria – My tenant pays for water usage but the way water is setup in Victoria the service charge is much higher than the water usage component.

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

In Vic, the law is that the landlord pays the service charges and the tenant pays the water usage (provided the dwelling has its own water meter.  Otherwise the landlord pays the water usage as well).

I agree.. I don't understand why the landlord has to pay the service charges during a tenancy.  It is the tenant using the service after all.

In the UK, the tenant even has to pay the council rates (yes, even in residential property). 

I'd be on the lobby group to get these two items chargeable to the tenant for sure!  Anyone know how we would go about getting the laws changed?

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Viewing 7 posts - 21 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.