All Topics / Legal & Accounting / what is spec home

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of garggarg
    @garg
    Profile photo of AUSMaverickAUSMaverick
    Participant
    @ausmaverick

garg – It's been a long time since I was involved in the building/marketing  of SPEC homes, however………….a SPEC home is when a Builder,Developer or Property investor/company puchase residential land & build a new home or homes on it (usually & hopefuly when the R/E market is hot & there is a big demand from buyers)

For  profit reasons they want to turn it over as quickly as possible (sell it) mainly to minimise bank holding/funding costs,many times they will comence marketing or even SELL it of the plan BEFORE construction has even commenced (aiming for a quick sale) because a quick sale means a bigger profit.

End result when SOLD the purchaser gets a new home the builder/Developer get paid & makes a profit so………they can go and repeat the excercise over & over again until all the buyers go home & the market suffers a downturn is flat & it usually comes to a halt for a year or so until the buyer demand is there again. 

I hope this explanation helps a little & if you think you still need more specifics on "SPEC HOMES" let me know & I will see what I can do for you.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Spec home – house built for speculative purpose ie develop & quick sale.

Profile photo of garggarg
    @garg

Thanks

When i searched for spec home in google yesterday. i found this.
    http://home.qandas.com/real-estate/what-is-a-spec-home.html

I got impression that spec home is pre designed (designs provided by builders) home.
    If it is main residence it will not be exempt from CGT.

i guess if it is main residence. it does not matter it is pre designed or custom designed.

thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It does not matter who builds the house (the article refers to a developer and that is what the person who builds speculatively is). If they do this for a living, then they pay tax on the profit, if you do it as a one off, then you may be paying CGT. If you are doing it to live in as your ppor, there is generally no cgt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.