All Topics / Help Needed! / What to believe?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of SuchySuchy
    @suchy

Hey,

I'm looking to get into real estate investment & have been reading through forums, website articles and a few books..
    The problem is… I'm not sure what to believe.

I've read the books 'rich dad poor dad' & 'How to get rich using your banker's money'.

Rich dad poor dad was very motivational but that's about all it had to offer. I didn't really enjoy 'how to get rich using your banker's money'. It wasn't informative and suggested a highly geared strategy with no mention of risk management. There were also many exadurations and it seemed overly simplified and unrealistic.

Throughout this forum there seems to be alot of talk about positively geared property and there is an author selling a book based on positively geared property '0 to 130 properties in 3.5 years' (what does everyone think of this book?)

The impression that I am getting from this forum is that it is not overly difficult to find a positively geared property.
    A website i came across 'http://www.johntreed.com/positive.html' states that it is very difficult to find such a property & that it is a common real estate fallocy exploited by those trying to sell books aimed at beginning investors.

However, John Reed is from america and im wondering if it's different due to the taxation system?
    Also, this author John Reed recommends 3 investment strategies:

• bargain purchases
  • upgrading
  • double-digit cap rate acquisitions
  • & talks about how he does not recommend the 'Buy and Hold Strategy' that so many on this forum seem to be using. He says that by doing so your being a speculator and relying soley on your property appreciating in value.
    'http://www.johntreed.com/recommend.html'

This guy seems to be making alot of sense to me but im unsure about purchasing any of his books as he's from America and I'm worried that his advice may not be relevant?

Can someone suggest some helpful books that aren't created by an 'investing guru' to draw in customers to pay for overpriced, useless seminars. & that don't suggest reckless no money down strategy's that neglect risk management.

Thanks