All Topics / Help Needed! / Property Investor by default

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of XodiacXodiac
    @xodiac

Hi all, hoping for some guidance.

I used to live in Cairns in a unit I bought. I moved down to Brisbane a few years ago and kept the unit in Cairns as an investment. Two years ago I bought a house in Brisbane that I live in. Now, I never changed anything with my loan on the Cairns IP, should I be changing it to an interest only loan? I've read some comments from people that give me the impression that interest only is a better use of the money for an investment loan. The IP's loan is at 90k and my PPOR is at 240k.

Also I am substantially ahead of my repayments on my PPOR (will pay off in ten years at current rate). Should I be paying this off as fast as possible or reduce the repayments and look to get another IP?

Would love to hear your thoughts on my situation.

Profile photo of dammitdammit
    @dammit

Hi Xodiac.

So the house you live in in bris is your PPOR. that means your 240k loan is not tax deductible.

Your Cairns IP loan should be tax deductible, well the interest component of your repayments, anyway.

What would make sense is to switch the Cairns IP to an IO loan, and the reduction in what your repayments are, channel that surplus $ into your PPOR loan (as extra repayments/offset account). this will reduce your non tax deductible debt first. (might only be $20-40 a week that you can instead of paying off your principle in your cairns property channel toward your ppor loan).

You can continue to channel all your surplus $ into your PPOR loan if you can redraw it or have an offset account this could work well for you, and then if you desire to buy another IP you can then pull some of it out to get your deposit or use your equity and make your new IP an IO loan too so you have more capital?

You would need to check that you can change your cairns IP loan to an interest only loan without costing you the earth/negating any benefit you might earn too.

im definitely not an expert on the subject but the above is just what ive read/learnt and heard of others doing.

Profile photo of marx3bullmarx3bull
    @marx3bull

Dammit is right. Your surplus money can be added into your PPOR loan. This may work out for you. You can reduce repayments and go for another IP.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I agree with damit

you want to pay back non-deductible debt first before paying off any investment debt. So change the IP loan to IO asap. This will reduce the repayments which you can then use to pay off the PPOR loan.

Instead of using any cash for another IP what you should do is to pay down the PPOR loan and then reborrow it for an IP. (preferably set up a LOC or a separate account). You will be increasing deductions this way which will release cash to pay off even more of that PPOR loan.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.