All Topics / General Property / October 09 Property Crash Begins

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 146 total)
  • Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

That is a shame for all the people not making money out of property. If you have bought well then you should start to see something good happening soon. Or you should already have something good happening in the form of a good yield.

Yeah I am with you on Perth, still a lot of it is undervalued. It is like the secret retirement spot for Melbournites who need some sun and love cafe's! You can actually sit outside at a restaurant in winter and not freeze to death lol!

I'm looking forward to the QLD boom also even though I don't have any IP's there (that could change). I'm voting Melbourne as the developers hot spot for the next 2 years until every block has been built out by Tom, Dick and Harry their dog! Geelong will then become the next big thing. (Getting there already)

Sydney will fight it out with Darwin as the most expensive city in Australia. The new first home buyers price bracket will be mid $600's and no one will really care, except the newspapers and ACA. All investors who have bought property either before today or in the next couple of months will be sitting very pretty by mid next year as everything goes right on up.

That's my crystal ball (or dart board ) prediction.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of fWordfWord
    Participant
    @fword

Is it actually possible to make money out of a PPOR? We could draw on the equity but be left with a bigger loan. I've always had the simplistic assumption that to actually get ahead in the property market, an investor needs at least two properties, one being the PPOR, and the other being the investment property to play around with. Otherwise with just the PPOR, effectively all you're doing is riding on the wave, hence the philosophy I might have read somewhere that the PPOR is not an investment, it's just a roof over your head. Unless your area booms and records gains way ahead of other suburbs, you're just stuck. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Therefore, assuming someone bought a $600K property and it doubles in value to $1.2mil in the next 10 years, and another person could only afford a $300K property, doubling in value to $600K…it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the person who could only afford cheap in the beginning will always be stuck at 'cheap'. They could of course downgrade and move impossibly far from the CBD (or their workplace) and pocket some of the cash as profit, but it wouldn't make sense.

Profile photo of SurrealistSurrealist
    @surrealist

The Daily Telegraph is reporting people in Sydney who have bought and sold properties over the five years. Seems like a case of inflating property values and people getting sucked in to buying at those inflated prices . Anyone shed any light on this?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/our-real-estate-losers/story-e6freuy9-1225835098402

Participant
    @fword
    Surrealist wrote:
    The Daily Telegraph is reporting people in Sydney who have bought and sold properties over the five years. Seems like a case of inflating property values and people getting sucked in to buying at those inflated prices . Anyone shed any light on this?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/our-real-estate-losers/story-e6freuy9-1225835098402

Read this article with interest this afternoon while having lunch. While I'm not surprised it's possible to lose money in property (or course, where there's money to be made, there's money to be lost), I think it would be strange for prices today to be lower than they were during the past 5 years. Those who lose money might be the ones who bought at the peak of a boom and then sold at the nadir of a bust…just like buying shares pre-GFC crisis and then selling in early 2009. That's just bad luck!

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

March 2010 and no crash yet

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

Any minute a bunch of people will get on the 'interest rates are rising therefore the sky is falling bandwagon'! I don't know about anyone else on here but the areas I am looking anything that has remotely breathable air on it is going for a ridiculous price. They are auctioning any blocks for subdivision because every one and their dog are building units!  THERE IS NO CRASH! We are in the first part of the biggest boom going in Victoria so hold on to your properties and get on board the money express.

Has any one found under valued suburbs? There is no longer value in the Melbourne property market, it looks like the middle of boxing day sales here! Any minute there is going to be a punch on with two women fighting over a letterbox!

No more talk of crash please Steve Keen and disciples as you will all have to eat your hats! Especially in Melb.

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword

Haha, I'm almost hoping prices will come down (even though it appears they won't) so I can buy my second property before the end of the year. It's extremely frustrating to become increasingly priced out of the areas where I'm looking to buy. Certainly the market has gone absolutely nuts.

Profile photo of BennyteeBennytee
    Participant
    @ten_burner

Good on you Dwolfe I agree, there will be some hat eating in Sydney too lol

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

Did anyone see the current affairs show tonight where John Symonds was saying that anyone that already owns a property (or two) is in a much better financial position than those yet to get on teh property merry go round. he said that property is heading the way of America where people rent for life because they can't afford to buy a home.

Interesting perspective..
    cheers

Sonya

Profile photo of YoungInvestorYoungInvestor
    Participant
    @younginvestor

Hi Sonia,

I did see the article too. I think it was actually Steve McKnight who said that we may adopt the European norm of renting for life.

The way I see it, the middle class population will shrink, and in 20 years we will have a very defined group of "have's" and "have not's".

With respect to D's comments, I totally agree that property prices have gone nuts – What I will say though is that there is no way we can continue growing at the same rates we have in the last 6 months for the next 3 years… By the end of next year the cash rate will probably be more like 5.5% which will make a big difference to affordability. There is definitely strong demand, but as the govt opens up more land to increase supply, whilist mortgages become more expensive, there will be a flattening, and maybe even a slight decrease in property prices. 

Participant
    @fword

The gov't needs to build up in the areas closer to the CBD. Personally I think that the release of land on urban fringes won't help the situation much. Nobody will want to live in a hole that's 40kms from their daily workplace, especially when petrol prices start to go up. Some folks will tolerate a drive of an hour and a half daily, to and fro from work, but they're a rarity. And besides, when commuting time starts to eat up 3 hours out of the 16+ hours that you're actually awake, that's pretty poor quality of life, unless you're making a tonne in those waking hours and only need to be in the rat race for less than a decade…

Participant
    @dwolfe

A one hr commute to London is considered the norm.

I used to drive 1 hr to work and 1 hr home as that was the only job I could get and I was thankful for it!

Perth has had the right idea for a while. Build up the inner suburbs as there is no real infrastructure further out. Then as people have to move further out then build infrastructure.

I was about 18-19 when I was at a party and a German exchange student said to me…..why don't Australian's build on all of this land (meaning back yards). In Germany we would build on this. To which I the very young thing said noway why would we? There is plenty of land in Oz. I like the birds on my back verandah and a big backyard.

10 yrs later…….

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword
    DWolfe wrote:

I was about 18-19 when I was at a party and a German exchange student said to me…..why don't Australian's build on all of this land (meaning back yards). In Germany we would build on this. To which I the very young thing said noway why would we? There is plenty of land in Oz. I like the birds on my back verandah and a big backyard.

10 yrs later…….

D

Good point. Having said that I know of plenty of folks who wouldn't want to drive more than 30 mins to their workplace (not necessarily in the city). I agree with you that 1 hr traveling time could be considered the norm here because distances are greater. I was born in Singapore and you could either walk to any place or catch a very reliable, fast and comfortable train or bus there. Even taxis are cheap, but that's not the case here from what I observed.

Sometimes I even worry about the infrastructure here. Last year in the summer heat the brownouts and blackouts were quite numerous in my parents' area, which leads me to believe we just don't really have the infrastructure necessarily to deal with an increased load of households…and when water usage increases, therein lies another problem. But these are issues for the 'big boys' to figure out, not us.

The thing you mentioned about building up in backyards (subdividing, building units etc I assume) is met with some resistance in the inner and middle suburbs. Nobody living in those suburbs wants the gov't to build an apartment building next to them. 'Not in my backyard', so to speak, or the resistance present because people want their quiet, fine suburbs with heritage value to stay that way. We were driving past a part of Balwyn the other day and there were protest billboards all over against the building of some multistorey office structure in the area.

If that's the case then building up in the outer suburbs might be the way to go (assuming the residents there don't complain about the same), but then you have problems with infrastructure, or people who just don't want to travel that far to get into the city (if they work there especially). Having said that, I live in an outer suburb myself, and hell, I don't want a multi-storey apartment building in 'my backyard'.

Profile photo of sonyasalsonyasal
    @sonyasal

The government were talking about decentralising businesses, i have no idea whether they have done this, but i would think that it would make sense to reduce the number of vehicles that need to travel to the city. With many businesses such as telstra and water and electricity companies operating via call centres they don't need to be located in CBDs of major cities. Also i would imagine that rents or commercial property prices would be cheaper in the outer suburbs.

cheers

Sonya

Participant
    @dwolfe

I don't understand why so many big business HAVE to have offices in the center of major cities. Maybe they like big towers. Most employees have to commute in to these areas packing them full of people and full or cars. It must also waste so much time. They could get people to start an hour earlier rather than sitting in their cars!

Hey Sonya picking up some good buys in NSW? I've seen some really cheap under 100k (didn't know you could still get something THAT cheap). I'm going to get out my reusable shopping bag and start putting properties in like they are apples! LOL!

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword

If and when they start to do this, it'd benefit some for sure. Suddenly their property becomes 'close to a small CBD' and values of these sleepy outer suburbs would probably soar.

May the next CBD be Ringwood. Haha!

Participant
    @dwolfe

Ringwood, Geelong and Knox, Frankston.

Mini-Melbs! All roads lead to the biggest shops and the most new housing estates. Ringwood will have to wait out another year or two to give the locals time to get used the the Eastlink end looking like it falls into a void. Then it will be back on its way.

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword
    DWolfe wrote:
    …Frankston

Okay, I know this has been discussed many times before so I beg your pardon. I'm desperately saving in the hope of getting another property before the end of this year. One of the places I was looking at was Frankston South (if I could still afford a detached house then). I was even considering a cheapie unit in Mt Eliza…but is there much potential growth for units in Mt Eliza?

Participant
    @dwolfe

Has Mt Eliza had its day? Or is it blue chip for that region? Will it always grow at a set percentage each year?  How is Frankston South for cash flow?

I think I need to buy a crystal ball, some residex reports and some henchmen for my evil property empire

You've picked 2 'nice suburbs'. Hows your numbers?

Probably should start a new thread……..speculation on areas.

D

Email Me

Participant
    @fword
    DWolfe wrote:
    Has Mt Eliza had its day? Or is it blue chip for that region? Will it always grow at a set percentage each year?  How is Frankston South for cash flow?

I think I need to buy a crystal ball, some residex reports and some henchmen for my evil property empire

You've picked 2 'nice suburbs'. Hows your numbers?

Probably should start a new thread……..speculation on areas.

D

'Mt Eliza…that's the Toorak of the Mornington Peninsula, isn't it?'

That's the remark my friend made in disbelief when I told him I was considering to buy there.

Residex reports, I could lay my hands on. Not sure about the crystal ball or the evil henchmen!

Anyway, I'm much too new in the world of property to be speculating. At this time I'm simple minded: wow, that's a nice-looking suburb with quaint houses…can I afford it? In a pinch, yes. Speculation is a funny thing too. When enough people jump on the bandwagon it's invariably self-fulfilling prophecy. I'll post a speculation thread on Mt Eliza after I secure my cheapie unit.

In favour of Frankston South, is that I might still be able to pick up mediocre landed property instead of getting a unit with basically no land in Mt Eliza. Either way, the property will be negatively-geared. I haven't gotten the knack of getting the cashflow +ve stuff yet.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 146 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.