All Topics / Help Needed! / IO loan info pls

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of coolharry67coolharry67
    Participant
    @coolharry67

hi all,
     iam planning to buy my first home( with the possibility of converting it to IP in 2-3 yrs) , and someone suggested to go for a IO loan and make extra repayments in a 100 offset account . iam trying to understand the concept of IO loans ,some of the questions are 1) when do i start paying the principal and do i have to pay it all at once. 2) is it beneficial to make extra repayments in such a situation 3) and is it possible  to have a IO loan and hold on to the property for long term( approx 10-15 years) 4) any other negatives in such a situation?
    its all a bit confusing
    all advice is appreciated
    thank you
    harry

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Harry

Couple of answers:

1) When do i start paying the principal and do i have to pay it all at once.
         No you dont have to pay at all subject to the provisions of the loan offer.
         Most lenders have a maximum interest only period before they look to roll the loan over to P & I whilst others
         subject to the LVR allow an Evergreen facility which means it will be IO for the term of the loan.

2) Is it beneficial to make extra repayments in such a situation
         This will depend on whether you have any non deductible debt but assuming NO then subject to having an
         offset account 
    (rather than the loan account) i would pay all of my income into this account to save $$$.

3) Is it possible  to have a IO loan and hold on to the property for long term( approx 10-15 years)
         Yes subject to 1 above.

4) Any other negatives in such a situation
         Not as long as you are disciplined and dont spend all of the funds in the offset account on non appreciating
         assets.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.