All Topics / Creative Investing / Receiving FHOG when one partner has owned a home….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of mizzbuttonmizzbutton
    @mizzbutton

My partner and I want to buy a house and i have not had one before but he has for a short amount of time…someone told us that i can buy the property in my name but both of us can be on the loan/mortgage so I can still get half of the first home owners grant… I can't find out any info to back this up – can anyone help?

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

It depends on whether the property he bought was a PPOR or an investment property.  If when he sold it he claimed the PPOR CGT exemption then you cannot get the FHOG now.  This is the case regardless of whether his name is on the mortgage or not.  The basic rule is that if either you or your partner have ever owned a property (PPOR) then neither of you can claim the FHOG.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Irrespective of whether it was an investment property or not if he is your partner /spouse as per the OSR definition then you will not qualify for the FHOG.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of dansempiredansempire
    @dansempire

My understanding is if he hadn't lived in the original property then you can claim FHOG??

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.