All Topics / Finance / Buying a Property with a SMSF

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of robin youngrobin young
    @robin-young

HI there-i;ve spent a fair bit of time reading about SMSF and buying property. Can anyone provide some clarity on the case study below

I have $100,000 in my super fund (not smsf yet) and I’d like to purchase a piece of land worth about $90,000.

Is this possible?
    Approx what are the set up fees for the SMSF?
    Approx what annual accounting fees?
    How would I get started?
    Would i need to pay stamp duty?

Thank you so much..

Robin

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Hi Robin – is the land zoned commercial land?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Robin

Quick answer

Is this possible? Yes it is under a SMSF

Approx what are the set up fees for the SMSF? All depends on your Accountant but a Deed can be set up for around $1500 max.

Approx what annual accounting fees? All depend on how complicated the transactions within the fund are and how much time your Accoutnant spends on the return. A SMSF needs to be Audited each year and there are few other ASIC requirements and levies. Allow $2500 / annum max.

How would I get started? Get your Accountant to form a Trust Deed, open the Bank Account and Transfer your existing funds proceeds to the SMSF.

Would i need to pay stamp duty? Buying in a SMSF is like any commercial transaction so YES you will need to pay stamp duty on the land. Remember you are unable to gear on a vacant block of land in Super and cannot borrow to build so need to think carefully about what you do.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of jsawtelljsawtell
    Participant
    @jsawtell

Hi Richard,

Is it possible to buy a house/property jointly with SMSF (personally + SMSF) with a loan/mortgage?  In theory this is using the SMSF funds as cash for deposit.  Rental returns would be paid according to ownership % – where SMSF % would equal deposit as % of total purchase price.

Thanks
    Jason

Qlds007 wrote:
    Hi Robin

Quick answer

Is this possible? Yes it is under a SMSF

Approx what are the set up fees for the SMSF? All depends on your Accountant but a Deed can be set up for around $1500 max.

Approx what annual accounting fees? All depend on how complicated the transactions within the fund are and how much time your Accoutnant spends on the return. A SMSF needs to be Audited each year and there are few other ASIC requirements and levies. Allow $2500 / annum max.

How would I get started? Get your Accountant to form a Trust Deed, open the Bank Account and Transfer your existing funds proceeds to the SMSF.

Would i need to pay stamp duty? Buying in a SMSF is like any commercial transaction so YES you will need to pay stamp duty on the land. Remember you are unable to gear on a vacant block of land in Super and cannot borrow to build so need to think carefully about what you do.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.