All Topics / Value Adding / Development/Hammerhead proposal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of MsTrumpMsTrump
    Participant
    @mstrump

Hi,

We've decided on building two properties on the one lot, hammer-head style, and wondering if I can get some more input from people with more experience and knowledge. My question really is whether we should employ an independent building designer to create the building plan/proposal and put it to Council for approval, or if we should choose a building company (or perhaps an independent builder) and go with their plans. I think the con with the latter alternative is that we can buy something "off the plan", but may not necessarily be approved by Council (yet we already would've signed a contract with a company and any alteration to the plan will be costly). Or with the first alternative, we can get it approved by Council, but may cost an arm and a leg to actually have it built by a building company, as it will be a "custom design" (not from their books).

Obviously there are advantages and disadvantages with both options, but would appreciate other people's input on this.

Thanks!

Profile photo of jssmithjssmith
    @jssmith

Hey Ms Trump
    The million dollar question.
    To answer this one quick I would go with a designer so they can designer the buildings to suit the block.

You will still have to go through the planning process first which will involve consulting a civil Eng in some cases to
    complete the boundaries. Then working with a Townplanner to get planning approval.
    The designer will normally work with the townplanner to provide planning drawings so all planning is approved and then you step into the working drawing phase.
    Once completed any builder will quote on the working drawings.
    In any case you will still have the planning costs and if you approach most builders they will send you to thier designer anyway.
    It will cost you about $15-20k to get to quoting stage
    civil surveyor for site works $1200
    townplanner                           $3-5,000
    designer planning drawings $2,500
    council costs                          $1-2,000
    working drawings                  $5,000
    titles office                               $700
    energy report                           $500

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Add to that, architectural fees if you go that way.

If the properties are to be IPs, then go with gut feel as to a medium density builder who can provide a turnkey package ie design & construct. You won't necessarily get a better return on a more expensive building just because it cost you more to build, the tenant doesn't care how much it cost.

Profile photo of JD86JD86
    @jd86

id go with the building designer (although i may be a little bias)

the building will better suit the block and will be approved for you

if the construction price going with this option worries you, you can get a Quantity Surveyor (QS) to do a quick costs estimate for you for a small fee

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.