All Topics / Value Adding / ARCHITECTS FEES

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Profile photo of Marty_boyoMarty_boyo
    Participant
    @marty_boyo

I have purchased a Block of Land with a house on it. My intention is to demolish the house and build two townhouses.
    The Architects that I have spoke to about this say that their fee would be $30K – $50K. Is this normal. Seemed very pricey to me.

What if I just wanted a DA? How much should that cost?

I'm interested in hearing from people who have first-hand experience with developing.

Profile photo of Shannon_tShannon_t
    @shannon_t

I dont have first hand experience in developing but for lower costs you should consider a building designer. Their fees should approx. amout to around this:
    sketch design: $2000
    Town planning: $5000
    Working drawings: $5000
    This will vary depending on the size of the job and detail you want in the drawings but should be well below 30k-50k. An architect will also do project administration but to save money this is normally one of the first things that goes.
    Although I may be bias because I am a building designer it's my opinion that a building designer is better for development to keep fees down.
    Cheers,
    Shannon 

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

Where is the block located? Check with council what the fees are for getting a DA, you should only be looking at getting plans drawn up by the architect, which can cost ariund $2000 and upwards.

Profile photo of Marty_boyoMarty_boyo
    Participant
    @marty_boyo

Block is in Armidale NSW. Spoke to 2 Architects. Got a quote for $21000 just to lodge DA. This quote does not include Council, Surveyor or Engineer fees. Seems steep to me.

Profile photo of Shannon_tShannon_t
    @shannon_t

All councils have a fee schedule for town planning on their web site, the fees differ for the type of town planning application you have and the estimated construction costs.
    Handyman, if you can find and architect to to get approval with the architects fees being a bit over $2000 I suggest you use him.  

Profile photo of businessglobalbusinessglobal
    Participant
    @businessglobal

Get a few quotes- and ring an architect or draftsperson from possibly Newcastle or a larger town as many work also in smaller towns and their fees are better- has the architect included and listed all the other fees? from council or planning- maybe this is why it has got to this level.

I just built a multi mill home for a client and my architect design fees were about 7500.00 so not sure why a D/A if it is simple why would be at this range- but maybe there are council fees etc in there you have to get architect to break it all down eactly what and why?

@handyman

Shannon, if you read what i said the $2000 was just to get plans drawn up, nothing to do with lodgements and getting the actual approval, people can do that themselves you don't need to pay an architect to do that.

Participant
    @marty_boyo

Im located in Sydney. Do you think it matters if I get the plans drawn up by somebody in Armidale or just use a Sydney Designer as they are more plentiful

@handyman

You being in Sydney, and the property being in Armidale on the other side of the country, you would be better of choosing an architect close to the property. You didn't mention that before, so you will be looking at geting the full package from an architect, by also having them oversee the development, so what the price you have been previously quoted sounds about right. It may even cost you more depending on how involved the architect becomes. If you engage the service of a sydney based archotect, they can only assist by drawing your plans, hence my original post refering to fees of around $2000 (this is just for basic plans) you will have to take care of the rest including lodgement and the DA process, something I think might not be feasible as you are in Sydney.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I'd agree, if using an architect for design & contract management it would be best to get a local. Otherwise, unless you had a really good survey, 5,000,000 photos etc a remote architect would not be able to take into consideration all the necessary aspects of the design.

Alternatively, you may be better off approaching one of the local builders who can do dual occupancy (and are experienced in DO, eg Rawson Homes in Dubbo). You won't be stuffing around with architects etc it will all be up to the builder.

Participant
    @marty_boyo

Property is in Armidale NSW

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

They build all over the state and have Sydney offices.

Profile photo of CandyFlossCandyFloss
    Participant
    @candyfloss

Husband is a building designer in Armidale who has worked on numerous dual ocs – give him a call for some info – might help.  His number 02-67721989.

Profile photo of charlie9ercharlie9er
    Participant
    @charlie9er

Shannon, can you send me an email please to discuss possible job

Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

Hi all,

I am looking to develop 4 unit townhouses in Bayswater, Victoria. My initial thought is to engage a draftsman/architect who would help me with drawing up initial plans to secure the town planning permit. Once that is done, the same draftsman/architect will get the detailed construction drawings and other necessary documentation to obtain the building permit. Once that is done, will engage a builder to start the construction and engage a contract administrator to oversee the builder on regular basis.

Would appreciate your feedback on my thoughts.

Secondly, would love to know whether you would help me in securing both the town planning permit and building permit (at what costs and likely timeframe)? Also, would you be able to recommend a reliable builder and contract administrator during construction stage?

Cheers
    John So

Profile photo of benrbenr
    Participant
    @benr

There is some info about the services of an architect for house design and their fees here: http://www.architectureforlondon.co.uk

Profile photo of jcso99jcso99
    Participant
    @jcso99

The website is for London, UK, not Australia.

Cheers
    John So

Profile photo of tonyy21692tonyy21692
    @tonyy21692

Hi Marty

this is the same for all professional service providers as the first thing the client asks is how much is this going to cost!!!  and what you really are asking (wether you know it or not ) is why should i do business with you…

The fact you think it is steep is because the architect has failed to explain the value to you.

You havent said it you are going to keep or sell the end product.  assuming you are going to sell then you need to look at the end buyer and make a call if an architect designed product is going to get you a wow factor on your sale price to cover the extra cost involved (both in the soft and hard costs) 

Either way the architect fees will be a % of the construction cost.  They will break it out into stages.  The best hint i can give you today is to ask for a fixed price as architects are not QS's and the actual construction cost is often higher than what their original estimate and if you are on a floating % then guess what  – their fee is adjusted to the actual contract price.  PS it never goes down…..

As for local vs out of town, if you have a nice easy fit with the DCP then run with a local.  if it is a tough site that you are going to have problems with the local council officer getting it through then it could pay to get an out of town architect and town planner as a local has to deal with the council officer on other jobs and they are not going to stick their neck out for you where as an out of towner might go that bit harder for you.  Once you have it through can always switch to a local to administer the job for you.

good luck 

Tony 

PS I'm not an architect, just an accountant…  

Profile photo of Change Of PlanChange Of Plan
    Participant
    @change-of-plan
    jcso99 wrote:
    Hi all,

I am looking to develop 4 unit townhouses in Bayswater, Victoria. My initial thought is to engage a draftsman/architect who would help me with drawing up initial plans to secure the town planning permit. Once that is done, the same draftsman/architect will get the detailed construction drawings and other necessary documentation to obtain the building permit. Once that is done, will engage a builder to start the construction and engage a contract administrator to oversee the builder on regular basis.

Would appreciate your feedback on my thoughts.

Hi John, 

Make sure you find someone who is genuinely familiar with TP as at least one of the councils that covers Bayswater has more requirements than the state standard regarding things like setbacks and amount of private open space.  It can end up wasting a lot of time if they submit something that does not meet the local requirements or could end up with a refusal.

Regards,
    Melanie Ellis
    Change of Plan
    http://www.achangeofplan.com.au

Profile photo of JeffHomesJeffHomes
    @jeffhomes

Architects usually charge between 7% and 15% of the total construction cost.

if you want cheaper, look for a building designer.  They usually provide similar service for a much cheaper price.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.