All Topics / Help Needed! / Whats better?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of MarshesMarshes
    Participant
    @marshes

Hi Guys,

New poster but ive been lurking for awhile.

Proposal 1 ) –
    I buy a house (330k) and live in it for 6 months with the aim of securing the first home owners grant of 14k and moving on to rent closer to work. While i live in this place i will build a granny flat for 50k to increase yield.

Proposal 2 ) –
    I continue renting where i am, buy the house (330k) build the granny flat ( 50k ) and rent it out from the start. Forgoing the 14k grant.

My question is, if i followed proposal 1 can i still claim the cost of building the granny flat as a tax expense ?
    If i cant. Whats better. proposal 1 or 2 ?

Im a newbie with tax… Its so evil. i try to stay away from it. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity

Marshes,

Prop 1 is obviously better. It is not just the free $14K you are getting but remember you also get stamp duty relief of about $10K for your own home. So we are talking $24K free money really.

Prop 2 will reduce your tax for sure but this is also available to you after you move out of your PPOR and make 2 x IPs out of it in 6 months time. 6 months of earlier tax relief will not come close to the $24K free money you get out of Prop 1.

All the best

Profile photo of MarshesMarshes
    Participant
    @marshes

Thanks, I was under the impression you got stamp duty concession wether it was a IP or not. It was just the grant you forgo if it was a IP.

That changes everything.

Thank you.

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity

Now you're making me doubt myself.

Why don't you give a quick call to the OSR in your state to make sure. (Office State Revenue – these guys administer stamp duty collections)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.