All Topics / Help Needed! / What does R17.5/R30 Actually mean

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of ktastrphektastrphe
    @ktastrphe

Hi Everyone

I searched the net and this forum to no avail…

i understand what R17.5 and R30 mean with respect to the minimum block size you can build a dwelling on, but I cant for the life of me find anywhere what a property zoned R17.5/R30 means? Im looking at a block just under 1000m2, so if the R17.5 restrictions are there, then it is no good to me. If the R30 is applicable, then it is a very different story. How can you find out?

The land is advertised as R20 by the REA, so thats different again! I got the 17.5/30 from the council webpage

cheers

Kurt

Profile photo of toni89toni89
    @toni89

HiI guess your best option is to speak with the council and do try to get the advice in writing before buying. I have been through the scenario of one telling you something and another saying something else!Toni

Profile photo of ktastrphektastrphe
    @ktastrphe

This didnt really help me out, but for anyone else that wants to read about the planning guidelines
    http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/Publications/1585.aspx

Profile photo of PlanCheckPlanCheck
    @plancheck

Hi There,

My specialty – Residential Design Codes (Western Australia)..

Two Codes like R17.5/R30 is called a split coding.. it means that the property is firstly R17.5 zoning and if you want to get the higher density of R30 then you need to meet certain Council criteria.

R 17.5 has a minimum average lot size of 571sqm so you would need 1142m2 before you can be permitted to subdivide.R30 has a minimum average of 300m2 so you would need minimum of 600m2 to subdivide into two.  As the block is 1000m2 you can get 3 lots from it.

The Local Government Town Planning Schemes have the details regarding the criteria or they may have a policies on their website.  You need to talk to a Town Planner (preferably a senior one) and ask what the criteria is for the higher density and if they can forward you a copy of them.  usually it is only connection to main sewerage but other council have other more detailed requirements.

Ktastrphe link basically means that the bonus under the R-Codes for R20 (min. avg 500m2) has no time limit any longer.  The bonus clause means that a R20 lot can have a min. avge 450m2 (but only as a grouped dwelling – common property) so if you have a lot that is 900m2 in size and zoned R20 prior to 2 October 2002 you can get two group dwellings lots from it

If you have any other questions you are welcome to jump on my forum at http://www.plancheck.com.au

I hope this helps…

Cheers

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

Hi Helen,

Just for information sake, each time i have dealt with a split zoning the council criteria has simply been a sewer connection. I wonder what other council criteria you have come across and give me some examples?

Cheers

Profile photo of pinwheelpinwheel
    @pinwheel

Hi Lockymac,

PlanCheck is right most councils require only sewerage however, i know through experience that  councils such as City of Fremantle, Town of Bassendean and some parts of Wanneroo District to name a few have other requirements.

Cheers
    Lena

Profile photo of ktastrphektastrphe
    @ktastrphe

Thanks for the replies. I viewed the property i was talking about and it was closer to a main road than i thought, and had a massive gradient on the land. The house on the block was also uninhabitable. Looks like way too much work (and money) to me.

Profile photo of Jinghong ChiuJinghong Chiu
    Participant
    @jinghong

Hi, for detail info on R17.5/R30 as well as other R-codes for WA, there’s an article here written about it: R-Zoning Codes for Western Australia – What Does it Mean?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.