All Topics / Help Needed! / Deprecation Schedule – If and from where?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Profile photo of ankitjainankitjain
    Participant
    @ankitjain

I have had a investment property since 2007. I have not done a depreciation schedule (i.e. not claimed depreciation ) on this . I was advised it gets cut from your eventual selling price.  This might be right but not doing a depreciation schedule I think (now) was a mistake. Last rate interest rate was 9%. This year it is 5%. I am hardly getting a tax return this year. I am thinking about getting a depreciation schedule done this year. 

• Where can I get an accurate, reliable and cheap depreciation schedule done? How long does it take?
    • Do you see any problems in me doing a deprecation schedule in hindsight (2 years late)?
    • Is this the correct way to proceed?

RegardsAnkit

Profile photo of tuggerwaughtuggerwaugh
    Participant
    @tuggerwaugh

We have BMT to do our depreciation schedules. Our porperties are in Tas but they flew down to do these. They cost us about $600 per property and we were able to claim for the previous tax year. It does not get cut from your selling price, instead you claim a depreciation for tax purposes each financial year…. this amount is deductible from your taxable income. Hope this helps

Profile photo of Results1Results1
    @results1

Hi Ankit,

Where is your property, if in  Qld I can suggest a couple for you. It will only take a few days at most. Never too late to get one done.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Never too late – your accountant can easily amend the previous years returns. We used Catalyst and it was a quick turnaround and around the $600 mark (which is claimable). Our property is very old and it is still very worthwhile.

Profile photo of ktastrphektastrphe
    @ktastrphe

Mate, google "corpred depreciation" – they give you an estimate via sms on what your depreciation is – if you are happy with it you can either fill in forms full of details and they will do a schedule, or you can choose to get them to come check out your place.

I was told the same thing, dont bother with a depreciation schedule – even by Deppro – because my place was only an investment for 12 months before I moved in to it myself. Im glad I went elsewhere and got a schedule done. As my place was a display home I got a hefty tax return just on that.

Profile photo of toni89toni89
    @toni89

Can anyone give me info on a good one in Sydney?

Profile photo of Investors ZorbaInvestors Zorba
    @investors-zorba

Deppro do agreat job and I think ar ebased aust wide

Profile photo of ktastrphektastrphe
    @ktastrphe

toni89 – as per my post above yours. I have had schedules prepared by Corpred and Deppro – both were of excellent standard. Corpred can be a lot cheaper too

Profile photo of toni89toni89
    @toni89

thanks ktastrphe

i will follow them up:)

Toni

Profile photo of coretexcoretex
    Participant
    @coretex

Hi Guys,
    can anyone recommend someone in melbourne?

Profile photo of depreciatordepreciator
    @depreciator

We do them.

So do Washington Brown and BMT. We're all national.

But we use qualified people to carry out inspections, so we'll be more expensive than the cheaper guys.

Scott

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Try someone like Washington Brown as they have an office in Melbourne.

They have a Nationwide Quotes and Queries number which is 1300 99 06 12

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of ConstructivityConstructivity
    Participant
    @constructivity

No shortage of help in this department!

We provide tax depreciation schedules, sinking fund forecast reports and insurance valuations.

Regards,
    Constructivity
    http://www.constructivity.com.au
    Phone: 1300 855 281

Profile photo of gooseheadgoosehead
    Participant
    @goosehead

Doesn't the DS come in to count when you sell the property buy 'lowering' the purchase cost for CGT calculations?

Profile photo of CocobeanCocobean
    Participant
    @cocobean
    goosehead wrote:
    Doesn't the DS come in to count when you sell the property buy 'lowering' the purchase cost for CGT calculations?

This is what I thought, you end up paying more CGT if you sell but Tuggerwaugh wrote in a post above the following:
    ' It does not get cut from your selling price, instead you claim a depreciation for tax purposes each financial year'

Can anyone clarify?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.