All Topics / Help Needed! / Best landlord’s insurance policy?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of sophiehsophieh
    @sophieh

Hello All,

I have just bought my first IP and am looking at landlords insurance policies.. I figure there is a wealth of information here on all the different policies so I would like to ask who people use and why?
    Has anyone had to make any claims on their landlords insurance and had any really good/really bad experiences?

Thank you in advance!

Sophie

Profile photo of jenny111jenny111
    Participant
    @jenny111

Hi Sophie,

I personally found CGU Insurance to be very reliable and honourable. They do stick to their words. I had absolutely no problem when I had to make a claim. Gone very smoothly. I wouldn't switch for a few dollars cheaper in premium. Their advisers do give out their own line number so you could call back that particular staff and continue the query, unlike many other corporates' call centres that accessible only via a national line and each time you call, you have to start from the beginning.

Jenny

Profile photo of gatsbygatsby
    @gatsby

Never had to use it but i'm with CGU also.
    Cheers,
    Gats!

Profile photo of Room FinderRoom Finder
    @room-finder

Hi Sophie

I personally use and recommend to my clients the following and found the service excellent and very cost effective.

Greg Rowe

Rowe Landlord Services Pty Ltd

T/A Property Insurance Plus

M: 0450 922 234

Regards

Trish

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity

Another vote for CGU and I have claimed a few times – all good and looked after me well.

Profile photo of sootysssootyss
    Participant
    @sootyss

I'm with NRMA.  I did a 5 week reno while our IP was under contract, one week after settlement (and one week after reno completed) a storm came through a made a water feature in our property.  Water entered through the damaged roof.   NRMA said we were negligent in our upkeep of the property (having owned it all of one week) and they said they would not cover the cost of the roof repairs or loss of rent as there was no tenant living there.

I forwarded them my building report that said there was nothing wrong with the roof, and I forwarded them our tenant application (as a tenant was to move in the following week) …. they didn't really care.  So I guess you can make up your own mind whether you want to go with that company.

Obviously I am on the lookout for a new policy, after nearly hyperventilating over the above experience, and I have heard that CBA have a decent policy, a bit dearer than the rest, but as yet I have not checked it out.

I was hoping Choice.com.au had done the comparison, but it hasn't.

Regards
    Simone

Profile photo of ChrisfromhastingsChrisfromhastings
    Participant
    @chrisfromhastings

Just asking about other peoples experiences with landlord insurance. New investor & I need to get some in the next week. (I'm Victorian based)

Profile photo of DWolfeDWolfe
    Participant
    @dwolfe

We are with CBA for our IP's but HAVE NEVER CLAIMED. I'm sure I'll be on here eventually bagging or loving them. The policy seems to be cheap (not freakishly so) but covers all the main stuff. We are also with CBA for contents and cars. It'd be really great if someone could advise as to insurance brokers. Has anyone had a good run, saved money etc? Is is a better option to go through a broker or hunt your own insurance? I think though after so many votes for CGU I'll check it out.

D

DWolfe | www.homestagers.com.au
    http://www.homestagers.com.au
    Email Me

Profile photo of freshnetfreshnet
    @freshnet

Not sure if NRMA and RACV are related as far as landlord insurance policies are concerned but my experience with RACV led me to cancel all policies I had with them including the roadside assist that I had for 20 years!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.