All Topics / Value Adding / QUESTION FOR A TILER

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

Hi how many sqm can a professional tiler lay per hour???

whats best reccomended porcelen or ceramic or …..
    I require a good solid tile that can occasionaly be driven on with a car or fork lift

Thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Tile laying rate depends largely upon the size of the tile and the way that they are to be laid. You'd be hard pushed to lay more than a couple of metres of tessellated tiles in a day as they are all very small individual pieces with added complexity of laying to a specific pattern, likewise laying tiles in a pool with curves takes a lot more care and requires countless cut tiles.

Tile quality will not matter it will rely greatly on the type of bed that you are laying them on ie fully bedded will be more resistant to cracks compared to a dab of glue in the centre of the tile which can leave air gaps around the edges (which will then snap when you drive over them).

Porcellain tiles or vitrified tiles have a consistent colour throughout and will generally wear better than say a glazed tile in high traffic areas (either foot or other). Glazed tiles can still be used on walls or on floors where wear is not a major factor (as you won't wear out the glaze).

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

Thanks for that,

theres about 200sqm of concrete floor area needing to be tiled so should be reasonably easy to do but would like to get an idea on how many sqm a tiler could lay per hour.

Also theres about 40sqm of walls required to be tiled,

would want it all fully bedded.

thanks

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

If it is all straight forward, no patterns and nothing to cut around, the 200m2 will take about 5 -6 days to lay, is the concrete level or does it need to be screeded? Screeding an area that size would take about 3-4 days and a heap of sand and cement.
    The 40m2 of wall tiles would take 2 days to lay, and 1 day to grout.

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

If you want to drive over it with a fork lift or car, the ceramic tile is not good, the vitrified tiles are stronger, you can also go for a concrete tile or paver.

Profile photo of mccozmccoz
    Participant
    @mccoz

On the same theme everyone, can anyone assist?

Is it more difficult to lay Rectified ceramic tiles? When compared to an average ceramic tile?

I understand that normally, builders will charge extra to lay porcelain tiles when compared to ceramic. My builder has advised me that the  rectified ceramic tiles 60 x 30, that I have chosen are categorised as porcelain in terms of extra difficulty in laying, and wants to charge me the extra in labour?  (This is a brand new development x 2)

Is anyone explain the justification in this?
    Thanks

mccoz

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Stupid questions mccoz, what is a rectified tile? I have heard of glazed/unglazed, glass, vitrified etc but not this term.

Profile photo of businessglobalbusinessglobal
    Participant
    @businessglobal

factory-edged tile, rectified tile has been cut to size after the firing process. This process creates a precise, 90 degree angle edge and, as a result, can be laid with a tighter grout joint than unrectified tile (as small as 1/16?). If you’re wanting a smooth, sophisticated and continuous look on your floor or walls, choose rectified tile.

Maybe look at the type of tile you are choosing- you need a heavy duty tile- I would prob be looking at coomercial/ industrial grade especially if you are driving things over it or forklifts- yes most tilers will charge more for rectifid/ porcelain etc- where is this job as I have a great tiler I could recommend he is in Sydney- not sure where your job is?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.