All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Redraw of excess funds from a IP loan under a company structure

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of KoozKooz
    @kooz

Hi all,

To ask the question – if an IP is purchased under a Pty Ltd structure with a loan on the IP and extra payments are made over the minimum into the loan, if the loan allows, can you redraw the extra funds to use for other uses within the Pty Ltd ie deposit for other IP or simply payment of bills?

I know this gets complicated if the IP is in a personal name (as the interest on the  money redrawn can not be a tax deductible claim) . Is a PTY LTD a different situation cause its a business.

Or would an off set account (which has the same effect) be less hassle?

Cheers
    Karen 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes could be slightly complicated if you are purchasing using different entities.

To me an offset account would make life a lot easier however with a Corporate Trustee not every lender will allow this.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi

Firstly, it is not a good idea to buy using a Pty Ltd. You will pay more tax. (its ok if the company is trustee).

Secondly, it doesn’t matter who the owner is. If money is redrawn (borrowed) the interest will be deductible if the money is used for business purposes.

I would not pay any extra on any loan – just use the offset.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.