All Topics / Value Adding / Would you put a false ceiling in?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Not sure if i will go over the ceiling plaster with new or go little bit lower with a false ceiling to make certain the cieling is new, level and with good insulation and less plaster used therefore less work and efforts!?

It is a two bedroom cottage I'm about to go in and gut to fully plaster the interior. Don't know if there is insulation in the walls. But just had a thought… could use roof insulation if it weren't. There is old but looks reasonably good enough insulation in the existing roof.

The old hallway has had one side wall removed by the previous owner to open the living area up. There is a hardwood ceiling beam exposed down from the ceiling where the old hallway wall meet the ceiling about 3 inches. Leaving a solid lug of a lump of wood to plaster around as well as needing a third run of plaster around all interior walls if plastered as it is.

Trying to decide weather to put in a false ceiling to lower the ceiling to a modern standard since it was built for a different time at about 2900ml high. If a new ceiling was installed it would be less plastering because two sheets would go up the wall to meet.

Anyone put false ceilings in for this type of old weatherboard property and was it worth the effort?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Keep the ceiling as high as possible, everyone has a 2.4 m or 2.7, height is a point of difference.

Profile photo of sjh_85sjh_85
    @sjh_85

I agree with Scott No Mates, you should always keep to age/character of a home, its still possible to modernise without structural changes. With the effort and cost of doing so I doubt it will increase the value anyway. If its for your own purpose go for it by all means but if it is for investment and your getting a valuer in – they come past sit out the front look for fences, landscape paint etc. Come in walk through yep it has 2 bedrooms, compare to others in the area on prices etc and leave. I’d be sticking to cosmetic renos only, if anything perhaps a 3rd bedroom.
    :D

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Thanks for the clear cut straight answer was convincing and going that way!

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

You could drop it to 2700 high, as two sheets of 1350mm gyprock would get you there,! alternatively, lift the sheets a bit, and install bigger cornice, as was the norm back then, and you could "almost" get to 2900mm high ceilings

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

I would go false sealings over the top as it will save having to put new timber or backings all though.
    (old ceilings will have really old warped timber probably)
    As long as the ceiling needs doing otherwise just neaten it up and paint it.

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.