All Topics / General Property / Sealing (bitumen) road

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Looking at a property atm. Block around 850-900 m2 with something that could best be described as a shack on it. Its in a great location though, including the fact its on a corner block. The 'long' side of the block is alongside a gravel sideroad though (lots of rear entrance for houses on either side). Agent mentioned that if we bought for development, a council requirement would be to bitumen the road. I assume just the bit alongside the property.

I have no idea what kind of expence is involved in that. Any ideas (in Ballarat fwiw)? About 50-60 meters of road I'd guess.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Check with council to get them to clarify if this will be the case and why you would be required to seal the entire road not just contribute towards it in your development contributions.

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Got a meeting with council this afternoon, will see what they say.

Profile photo of absolutebeginnerabsolutebeginner
    Participant
    @absolutebeginner

We are in a very similar position in Moruya NSW but haven't yet finalised our purchase due to different development difficulties.
    Knowing a $/m2 cost of laying bitumen road would be very helpful…
    Also, can the council definitely charge citizens for laying road that then becomes public road???
    An interesting link:

http://www.batemansbaypost.com.au/news/local/news/general/hot-cross-victims-of-paving-scams/1436412.aspx

Profile photo of bjsaustbjsaust
    Participant
    @bjsaust

Didnt post the followup on this really. Condition of the Development Permit was to seal the road for the length of the property (approx 42mtrs so about 50mtrs by the time you joined to the front road), also to put in concrete channel and gutter for that length. Spoke to a road construction company and their estimate (not quote, just over the phone) assuming 4 meters wide (so 200 sq m) was around 3.2k to 3.5k, IF they didn't need to dig out the existing road and relay a base. If they did need to do that, then it would be more like 19k (lotta dirt to cart away and bring back). Council seemed to think it shouldn't need to be relayed but that was just a quick inspection, not a proper engineers (or whoever) inspection.

Add in the fact that we were also going to be required to put in a streetlight on a street with no current electricity (estimate from powercor around 6-7k) and there were just too many extras eating into potential profit and too much extra risk creeping in for my comfort. I couldn't make the numbers work for me.

Profile photo of absolutebeginnerabsolutebeginner
    Participant
    @absolutebeginner

Thanks for the update.  Council said to us 3.5m wide, 200mm gravel base and bitumen sealed.  Rang around and got an estimate of $35/m2 for the bitumen and $25-30 /m2 for the base so around $12000 for 50m of road.
    Cheers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.