All Topics / Help Needed! / Who should cough up?????

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of thebigislethebigisle
    @thebigisle

Have an interesting dilemma that came up tonight with our tenant.

Basically, the relief valve on the hot water cyclinder is faulty, meaning it has been releasing hot water constantly, resulting in an exorbitant bill.
    I replaced the element about six months ago because the cylinder would not retain its heat.
    At the time the tenant suggested replacing the relief valve as well but I neglected to do it because it seemed to be working fine.

The excess water flow has resulted in a bill of hundreds of dollars more than it should be.

The tenant argues they are not at fault for the problem, so should not have to pay the money.
    I agree to a point but my initial response was that we should be responsible for the entire bill.

The tenant proposes skipping some rent to pay for the bill.

Any thoughts?

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

thebigisle,
                      Easy to say in hindsight I know, but, if tenant advised of replacing valve as well, then you could have asked him to monitor overflow tube ( put a bucket under it ). Also if cylinder was not retaining the heat points to relief valve fault not heating element or even thermostat problem!
                      I unfortunately think the tenant has a good case.

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

You could measure the difference and pay the difference between there next normal bill. If there is such a thing as normal.

Profile photo of thebigislethebigisle
    @thebigisle

Thanks folks.

Looks like I will have to grin and bear it. The problem was the overflow pipe from the relief valve disappears into the concrete, so you can't tell if it is leaking. Great design

Another lesson learned.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.