All Topics / Commercial Property / Motel Investment

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 210 total)
  • Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Thr1llied.
    Very glad to hear someone is benefiting from the posts.
    Any cashflow that cannot be substantiated, cannot be sold.
    Valuers will disregard it.
    Any large difference in income between one year and the next, especially an increase approaching sale time, is cause for suspicion, and must be proven if accepted into the sale price equation.
    As you already know, if a seller says they have already enjoyed tax free cash, then they have already been “paid” that amount, and
    can’t reasonably expect to benefit from it again by selling it as part of the business income.

Items to look for with a sudden increase in income :
    Proportionate increases in variable costs – those items which increase with occupancy such as laundry, electricity, gas, water, cleaner wages, room consumables like soap n shampoo.
    Also if the claimed increase in occupancy was also enjoyed by the town or region, it would show up in Australian Bureau of Statistics information on that particular town or region.

It’s wise to engage your accountant and solicitor early in the process, to ensure free flow of information from the vendor’s accountant and solicitor to yours. Your accountant should carefully analyse the P & Ls. After you have looked at a number of motel P & Ls, there emerges a pattern, and anything which is outside that pattern raises questions. Ensure offers and contracts contain escape clauses like subject to valuation, or subject to finance on terms acceptable to the purchaser, or subject to your solicitor finding all documents acceptable, subject to inspections like building & pest.
    Ensure there are no outstanding or onerous pending local council demands.
    Ensure there are no outstanding or onerous impending demands from the landlord, no ongoing conflicts between landlord and tenant.
    Coz you don’t want to buy into a well-shaken hornets’ nest.

Re assessing a motel. We paid a valuer $4500 to do an official valuation on the motel which the bank demanded, 75 pages worth arrived, best due diligence I’ve ever seen and spent last when we were sure we were going ahead subject to valuation. If you need the contact we’re happy to supply it, but don’t know if they operate in Victoria or have affiliates. They were actually a recommendation from a valuer we knew who was slightly out of area. Worth every cent. Valuers base their final figure on a number of factors, and it includes the condition of the property, age, P & Ls, competition, local economy, state of the national economy, SWOT analysis, comparable sales of other properties, capitalisation rate relative to the aforementioned factors among others, and other factors. A good valuation is quite comprehensive.

PM me contact details if you would like a chat.

Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of thr1lledthr1lled
    @thr1lled

Many thanks thecrest,

I am wading through a mountain of information, both specific and general, and will certainly get back to you.

You didn't say how you were going?

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Thr1lled.
    Our motel is on track, going very well, thanks.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Thr1lled.
    If you’d like the blank lease, PM me your emai addressl & I’ll send it to you.
    Don’t think I can send a big attachment through the Forum private message system.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @thecrest

Glad we took 18 months to find the right motel, worth the wait and due diligence.
    It’s a member of a major chain, and woohoo the annual conference this year is in Fiji. (tax deductible).
    Looking forward to that, Bula Vinaka.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of rivianariviana
    @riviana

Hi thecrest,

Glad to hear you're happy with your motel purchase in Wagga was it?  I posted last year about a few leaseholds we'd been sniffing around, still haven't made a purchase but we're in a better position to buy now if the right business comes up, as we've sold a residential investment property for a tidy profit, getting us out of debt with cash in the bank.  We did miss out on what seemed like a promising opportunity a month or 2 ago, it wasn't on the market long at all.  Located in Armidale, close to the city centre, over the road from a gastro-pub and next door to a bowls club (I think).   It was also a couple of doors away from a Coles supermarket and servo.  It didn't help that when I first requested more info about the motel from the broker that they stuffed up and sent me the blurb about a different motel!  At the moment I'm just keeping an eye out for good opportunities as they crop up.
    Just a comment about an old post where someone mentioned that they'd prefer the "lifestyle" of operating a coastal motel.  From what I remember about growing up in a motel with parents operating motels, the operators don't really get the chance to enjoy the coastal lifestyle because they're always working in the motel!  It's a 7 day a week business from early in the morning til reasonably late at night.  As for a restaurant, forget about it…more hours for less profit, and you've got to manage staff.  Lose a good chef and what happens to your restaurant meal quality and therefore YOUR business?

Congratulations again on your purchase

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Riviana.
    Sounds like you’ve really got it sorted. The Armidale location factors would’ve made it a great location.
    Some like restaurants for the social event, but we prefer a 15hr day to a 19 hr day.

Hope you’re reaching the stage where you can grab a good motel quickly since they get snapped up fast.
    Thanks for the congrats. We bought a big leasehold in Wagga, very strong motel city, going very well. Starting to sniff around for another one to run under management.

Hope you can get all your team ready to move quickly when the right opportunity presents itself.

Good luck, let us know how it’s going.

Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of theparlistheparlis
    @theparlis

Great thread! Learnt alot from this place thanks :)

Participant
    @thecrest

You’re very welcome.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of HeatonHeaton
    @heaton

Thanks to all whom have posted its been great reading..
    We are just begining in the world of Motel leasing
    Have found a Business in a place we know well
    Its Ups and downs
    Now we have a learning Process
    of wether we want to go the whole 9 yards

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Heaton.
    Do lots of homework and get help from your accountant and solicitor.
    Interrogate their tradesmen, elec & plumber.
    No such thing as too much homework.
    good luck
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of thr1lledthr1lled
    @thr1lled

Hi everyone, this is a request for help from thecrest.

He is away from his computer and needs a blank NSW motel lease.
    If he has sent you one before, can you pm me your email and I'll get it off you, to pass on.

Many thanks in advance!

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi All & Thr1lled.
    Thanks thr1lled for trying to locate a lease for me, I was on holidays away with a laptop but short on files.
    Back with puter again and managed to find a blank simple english lease.

All the motels in our email and friends network report good figures lately and confidence.
    This is despite all the political antics going on, shows a strong economy, it seems very hard to kill despite their best efforts.

There are some great motel buys on the market right now at very competitive prices, buyers market in my humble opinion,
    provided finance is available.

Is anyone holding any current investment in motels in any way ? Or seeking?

Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of milmanmilman
    @milman

Hi – All
    My wife and I are looking for a leasehold motel.
    Just went to a seminar at Caloundra .
    From what I can gather no restaraunt, 30 year lease and not coastal.
    Although, we tasted the Tancredi prepared meals and they were great.

We are currently wading through loads of information. It's hard to determine what is fact from fiction.
    After signing a confidentiality agreement, should monthly cash flow figures be supplied  with the profit and loss statements?
    What are your thoughts on motels in Lismore?

The start  of a new learning curve.
    I have enjoyed reading previous comments.
    Thanks
    Milman

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Milman.
    Welcome to the Forum from me as just one of the Forumites.
    The point of a confidentiality agreement is that you give assurances that you will be will be privvy to confidential information and you will be responsible and considerate with that information. As a potential buyer, it is necessary for you to be supplied with all the financials of the business for sale. These are usually emailed.
    Other information you may request is :
    Last 3 AAA Star rating inspection reports.
    BAS statements last 3 years.
    Profit & Loss statements last 3 years.
    Lease document.
    Type of resv system software.
    Occupancy and sales reports last 3 years.
    Maintenance reports – issues, repairs completed and pending.
    Pest report.
    History of Correspondence with landlord. Any issues with landlord ?
    Vendor’s bank contact.
    Vendor’s Valuation when purchased or more recent.
    Check TripAdvisor reviews.
    If member of chain, request vendor’s approval for a history dump of sales and commissions.
    Same for a history dump of utilities, like gas, water, elec.

There are various levels of scrutiny and naturally costs increase with more due diligence.
    Try to look at as many P & Ls for different motels as you can, so you can understand what is normal.
    Normal meaning benchmarks like cost of utilities like electricity relative to occupancy.
    ABS stats show average occupancy and $ for a region or town and are worth graphing.
    Lots of due diligence to do so you can reach the point where you buy with confidence because you have done your homework.

Hopefully time is on your side.
    It would help if you outlined your requirements like :
    number of family members
    Bedrooms required
    Pets
    Pool?
    Region
    Price bracket
    Reno / trades skill level
    Admin skill level
    Customer skill level.
    Private message me with some of that if you’re not comfy posting it all here, but more info per post helps the forum.

Happy to assist.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@milman

Thanks Crest
    requirements  :
    time requirements- no restraints
    number of family members – husband and wife
    Bedrooms required – at least 2
    Pets- 1 small dog
    Pool?- ?
    Region- anywhere profitable not coastal
    Price bracket –  600k-875k (if house sold)
    Reno / trades skill level- minimial
    Admin skill level- quick to learn
    Customer skill level : good
    Flicked your list of requested items for  a couple of motels to some brokers.
    Just a matter now, to do as you suggested and table results to narrow down choices.

Thanks once again
    Milman

@milman

Hi

If  the rent for a leasehold is currently 159k excluding GST.
    Does that mean one has to pay 174k all up.

With a 22 room motel what would be the average claim for depreciation (div 40)?

Thanks
    Milman

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Milman.
    $159,000 (Rent)
    $15,900 + (10% GST)
    = $174,900
    and claim the GST amount $15,900 on your BAS if you’re eligible.
    Better talk to your accountant on that issue of GST.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

@milman

THANKS CREST
    SLOWLY BUILDING SPREADSHEETS OF CASHFLOW SCENARIOS

MILMAN
    I was confused but now I'm not sure

Profile photo of layaboutlayabout
    @layabout

Hi all,
     We are new to this forum but have gained a lot of insight from reading all posts particularly "the crest's" posts
    We have been in business for many years (production catering) but not hospitality as such. Though we have a certain understanding of the business and commercial leasing etc we are not familiar with the ins and outs of motel leasing.
    Since retiring from active business operation we have invested in residential  and land development and are now looking for a new avenue of passive investment.,
    We have no interest in the managed funds type of investing and while we don't wish to be hands on we do wish to take an active interest so motel ownership appeals in that it could be passive in the extreme given the right real estate / tenant combination.
    Judging from previous posts the selection and subsequent due diligence process can be somewhat more drawn out than we have previously experienced but that suits our two year timeline 
    We are really seeking an opportunity in QLD as that is where we are based so if anyone knows of a suitable property please feel free to PM the details to us  

wishing all success in their endeavours

layabout

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 210 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.