All Topics / Help Needed! / Bldg & Pest Inspection

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of nitrodropsnitrodrops
    @nitrodrops

Hi All,

Just did a 'Bldg & Pest inspection' today for a Townhouse which i secured last week, subject to (i) finance approval &  (ii) Bldg & Pest .

The Bldg & Pest inspection includes several cosmetic repairs. What would the proper way of negotiating?

Q1.) Do i get the (i) selling agent to speak to the seller or (ii) get my solicitor to talk to the seller's solicitor?

Q2.) Do i need to get a quotation to support for the amount i am asking?

Q3.) I saw some stains on the carpet. Is Seller oblige to get professional cleaner to clean the carpet before they move out? This is not reflected on the contract.

Q4.) Is seller oblige to remove all the nails from the wall?

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Nit

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

There is no way of negotiating for these items unless they were deliberately hidden and further inspection was required to uncover them. Your main areas which are negotiable are things like pest infestations/termites, poor building practices/non-compliance otherwise you would be whistling in the wind and any solicitor worth their salt would be telling you that (or charging you $350++ per hour for the privelege).

Profile photo of nitrodropsnitrodrops
    @nitrodrops
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    There is no way of negotiating for these items unless they were deliberately hidden and further inspection was required to uncover them. Your main areas which are negotiable are things like pest infestations/termites, poor building practices/non-compliance otherwise you would be whistling in the wind and any solicitor worth their salt would be telling you that (or charging you $350++ per hour for the privelege).

Thanks Scott.

I was asking my missus, do i look silly if i get my solicitor to speak to the selling solicitor just because of some cosmetics repairs (<$1K).

anyway, just emailed the Bldg & Pest report to selling agent, to try my luck.

Cheers
    Nit

Profile photo of Results1Results1
    @results1

always ask, the worst that can happen is they  say no.

@nitrodrops

Hi Guys,

My solicitor just sent me a letter, asking me if i want to conduct a full inspection of the Body Corporate records, which normally costs $150 – $250.

Is there a need for this?

Cheers
    Nit

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It is always best whether it is for old or newer units. You never know whether the body corporate is harmonious, whether it ends up in a fistfight or if there will be special levies on the horizon eg fire safety upgrades, broken sewers, new roof etc

In Sydney, there have been issues with BC being too cumbersome, unable to raise levies or totally ineffective – it is better to know what you are getting yourself into.

@nitrodrops
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    It is always best whether it is for old or newer units. You never know whether the body corporate is harmonious, whether it ends up in a fistfight or if there will be special levies on the horizon eg fire safety upgrades, broken sewers, new roof etc

In Sydney, there have been issues with BC being too cumbersome, unable to raise levies or totally ineffective – it is better to know what you are getting yourself into.

Thanks Scott, you have been marvellous.

I was thinking – already paid hundred of thousands $, what is another $150 – $250?

Cheers
    Nit

@nitrodrops
    Scott No Mates wrote:

Just curious, for negotation of repairs, that would be considered as an extra service by the Solicitor? and not included in the basic fees already?

Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It will depend upon your solicitor and whether or not it goes beyond the 'normal' conveyancing service.

@nitrodrops
    Scott No Mates wrote:

My solicitor's assistant just emailed me the full thorough inspection records on the Body Corp.

Is my solicitor supposed to look through and explain to me in layman terms, that everything is good?

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Have a look through it first, then ask for any explanation you need. 

This article has some of the things to look for:

http://www.rpdata.com/news/api/api_20070515.html

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.