All Topics / Help Needed! / Brisbane – Young Family – Mitchelton or Chappel Hill?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of BreakEvenBreakEven
    Participant
    @breakeven

For the first time in my life Im looking to purchase a PPoR.
    Ive got a few IPs, but am refusing to sell any to fund this purchase.

Budget: 450,000-500,000

Areas We have looked at: 
    Ashgrove, Indooroopilly, Chappel Hill, Mitchelton

What we are looking for: 
    House 8Km from city or less, 600sqm +, trains, community vibe, nice schools………

We are a young family (2 young kids prep/kindy).
    We have always lived around Paddington, Red Hill, West End – and love the access to these areas and the inner city.
    (we were looking at city ring suburbs but simply can't afford)

We have started to look at Mitchelton as an option.  Good value houses, big yards verandahs etc.  Village feel (so I hear)..

Does anyone have an opinion on Mitchelton, or does anyone have any other suggestions.

Cheers

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Having lived in Chapel Hill for the last 9 years i am slightly biased but to be honest not sure if you would find much in the suburb these days for your budget.

We are on half an acre and in the private lane where I live the neighbours paid over $500K for their block of land last year.

Not that i used public transport very often but we are not best served out here.

Not sure what Michelton is doing at the moment as most of my IP's are Western Suburbs, Taringa, Toowong, Paddington etc

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Results1Results1
    @results1

not that it is anything relevant, but I grew up in Chapel Hill and went to Indooroopilly state and high schools, back in the seventies. My father worked at Channel Seven and Channel Nine on Mount Cootha as news editor, Then I moved overseas for 26 years. I have extremely fond memories of that area, riding our bikes to greenhill reservoir, vividly remember the floods. Out all day, a safer time back then.

It would be a place i would love to revisit and possibly live there again, but I think my kids would have something to say about leaving the Gold Coast.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Tony

Must admit only down side with CH is that it is not called Chapel Hill because it is flat.

Riding down the hills lot easier that going up the other side.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Results1Results1
    @results1

ha, yes I agree wholeheartedly with you Richard, of course my legs were thirty five or so years younger then.

Profile photo of KRH83KRH83
    Participant
    @krh83

I lived in Mitchelton with my parents for a few years while at uni. Not much of a 'village' vibe yet but it definetly has potential. close to train lline and brookside shopping centre, blackwood st is the main cafe strip (only 1-2 cafes though). a lot of land is being released on the west side at the base of the hill – my parents have just sold their house in taltarni cct and are building in the newer area at the moment. there was pretty good capital growth in that time IMHO. its a good area for the kids to ride their bikes around too – only a few small hills!

Profile photo of summerredsummerred
    @summerred

Hi, I live on the Ashgrove/Red Hill border & I can highly recommend Ashgrove, although you will find it hard to find a property in your price range here. 

I lived in Kenmore (next door to Chapel Hill) & moved from there about 10 years ago due to transport trouble.  From what I hear it has become even worse over the years! 

I had been looking for an IP in Mitchelton (thanks for your help with a report Richard!) as I think it's a great area & spend a bit of time there.  Lately though, I've decided to give Mitchy away as it seems to be becoming too popular & to me overpriced.

It depends on what you want though.  Mitchelton is great because it has a train, Ashgrove does not.  That said, your children are about the same age as mine & Ashgrove is just perfect for young families. There's plenty of parks, good schools, childcare and its close to shops and the city & has a great sense of community (at least in my part of it).  I think if you buy here you will be very happy.  I'd buy IP here if I had the cash but I dont so that's why I was looking at Mitchy.  Good luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.