All Topics / Legal & Accounting / cash gift/tax implications?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

Hi all I got a phone call from mum this arvo, my parents have sold a property and are generously giving the money (not a loan) to my sister and I, roughly $200k each. I was wondering will I have to pay tax on this money? I looked up the ato site but couldnt find anything.

cheers guys and girls.

Profile photo of FletcherTaxFletcherTax
    @fletchertax

If you received property or shares – that would be a different story.

But with cash – there shouldn' t be any tax consequence as your parents would have settled any CGT tax within their individual tax returns. You cannot be taxed on the proceeds twice. Tried to find a back up on the ATO site – but can't find one either.

Fletcher Tax Accountants
    http://www.fletchertaxaccountants.com.au

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Your parents should consider whether these gifts will affect their current or future entitlement to Centrelink benefits.

Profile photo of picklesampicklesam
    Participant
    @picklesam

thanks for response guys, yeah the terms were my sister and I will pay any capital gains tax, im worried the ato will be suspicious of me having 200k all of a sudden. Shouldnt affect pension because they wouldnt get much anyway if they hadnt sold the property i think.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.