All Topics / General Property / Investing in tasmania

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of wuzziemoowuzziemoo
    @wuzziemoo

Hello

I looking at buying an investment property in Rokeby in Tasmania. Does anyone have experience in this area or elsewhere around Hobart and are willing to share their opinions or thoughts.

Thank you

kane

Profile photo of DanielBDanielB
    Participant
    @danielb

Hey Kane,

I live in the next suburb accross, Howrah.  Go grab yourself a map of the local area and I'll give you a rundown of what each suburb is like.

Rokeby is aprox 20mins from town(nothing to complain about by local standards) with mainly blue collar workers.  If you have a 3 teir system of low, middle and upper class the following would be an rough idea of what to expect:

Rokeby:  This would be the upper side of the lower class suburbs.  Most people behave but this suburb suffers from the usual burnouts from the local hoons etc.  Most people are friendly and there is a school and buses easily accessable.  Some houses are overpriced atm at 200k+, Id personally not pay more than 190-200k here.

Clarendon Vale( about 1.5kms away on the lower side of Rokeby) This is considered a lower class suburb with all the usual trouble you get in a lower class area.  These properties are going for 150-200k, you get what you pay for here however.

Lauderdale, Seven Mile beach etc are all further down again.  These are stable middle class areas however there are some very expensive houses(mostly on large parcles of land or near beaches).  Prices vary a lot here.

Howrah is on the upper side of Rokeby Hill and is considered to be a middle to upper middle class suburb, with the odd upper class street.  The views here are generally sensational as is the near by Tranmere, Bellerive and Rosny areas, all running along the Derwent river.  Prices here vary from 290-700k+, take your pick haha.

Off to the other side of Rokeby is Glebe Hill estate.  This is a brand new area and is listed as Howrah(although its sort of seperate haha) with mostly good quality solid middle class people about.  Houses here vary between 300-500k.

Basically hobart is a bit odd because there is generally all good suburbs with a bogan suburb jambed smack bang in the middle(Clarendon Vale lol…) Its not always a bad thing though as money will be made here over the next 15 years.  A suburb called Warrane used to be the same as Clarendon Vale but now it is quite a good place to live as the other suburbs popped up around it causing the bogans to sell up for a bit of cash and move to the outer areas like Gagebrook, Bridgewater etc. 

Dan :)

Profile photo of Investors ZorbaInvestors Zorba
    @investors-zorba
    wuzziemoo wrote:
    Hello

I looking at buying an investment property in Rokeby in Tasmania. Does anyone have experience in this area or elsewhere around Hobart and are willing to share their opinions or thoughts.

Thank you

kane

check out  mypropertyhunter.com.au – buyers agent for Tassie

Profile photo of wuzziemoowuzziemoo
    @wuzziemoo

Hi Dan

Thank you for your feedback, this is the type of information I was after. Looking at doing a new build as part of the NRAS scheme and Rokeby ended up a slightly cash positive investment. As an investment this is the market I'm aiming for, generally with blue collar workers there is always demand for rental accommodation and they are decent tenants. As the the area get older and the sprawl spreads the prices go up.

Kane

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.