All Topics / Value Adding / SUB DIVIDE

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of hydramaxhydramax
    Participant
    @hydramax

Hi everybody!
    I am looking at purchasing a property in Sydney with the idea of building a second house in the back.
    Can anyone out there explain how I can be sure council will allow it prior to purchasing. When I approached a particular council they told me the rules applied differently depending on the particular street. I just need to know that the property concerned is able to be subdivided.
    Any help would be appreciated.

GEOFF

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Once you have identified a suburb (and preferably a house with the contract in hand, so that you aren't wasting council's time) visit the town planner. It will pay to download a copy of the LEP and the zoning map for the suburb.

Profile photo of hydramaxhydramax
    Participant
    @hydramax
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    Once you have identified a suburb (and preferably a house with the contract in hand, so that you aren't wasting council's time) visit the town planner. It will pay to download a copy of the LEP and the zoning map for the suburb.

Thanks Scott No Mates, your help is very much appreciated
    Geoff 

Profile photo of NinoNino
    @nino

Hi Geoff,

I can help. I'm a qualified town planner in sydney. With experience throughout Sydney and NSW.

What Council was it?

Feel free to send me a Private Message if you have any questions or would like to discuss further.

Cheers

Nino

Profile photo of KoozKooz
    @kooz

Hi Scott.

Can you advise what a LEP is?

Karen

Profile photo of Miss AllyMiss Ally
    @miss-ally

Hi
    I am eager to read from any one from Perth who have subdivided their block to give me a rough estimate of cost.( from 1 lot to 2)For Demolition i have quotes ranging from 12k – 20k (Huge Diff). Awaiting quotes from Town planners i have already contacted, but am fearful of being ripped off……

Cheers

Profile photo of NinoNino
    @nino

Karen,

An LEP – is a statutory document (legislation) known as a Local Envrionmental Plan. It generally states the zoning of land, what is permissible in the zone (types of uses), minimum site areas/lot sizes, floor space ratio, gross floro areas, amenity controls and so forth.

They vary from Council to Council,  State to State – but they are the prime document you should look at when considering developing/building/purchasing.

Miss Ally – are you referring to costs associated with demolition of existing structures or potential Council costs, such as infrastrcuture upgrades to pipes etc?

Cheers

Nino

Profile photo of KoozKooz
    @kooz

Ahhh… Thanks Nino

Karen

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

The information you require is readily available from council. You do need to look at the LEP, and also the relevant DCP (Development Control Plan) this is issued by the council and will answer your question. It tells you what the minimum requirement are of the block size for what you want to do. It really has everything you need.

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

You could also put it in your contract for sale. A clause like sixty days due diligence to find out if it will go through. if you pay a good price it should have no problem settling.

Profile photo of jmiellejmielle
    Participant
    @jmielle

Check out google maps and make sure there’s other subdivisions in the same block or at the very least nearby.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.