All Topics / Value Adding / Metal fencing for front – what’s the best bang for your buck?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

We have just purchased a PPOR property that needs a front fence.  We are thinking of getting an open metal fence and planting a hedge immediately inside it so that over time the hedge will obscure the fence but access by roaming dogs will always be prevented.  Another concern is that we have noticed some roaming domestic rabbits which we would like to keep out/deter.

Has anyone else put in an open metal fence such as this and which is the most economical, easiest to put in and long lasting? 

We are also interested pros and cons that people have found with these types of fences.

Thanks

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity

Good work buying the PPOR. Try the pool fencing panels for front fence. You can get them cheap at Bunnings. They last and come pre-painted / powder-coated – so maintenance free.

And finally, what sounds like a silly idea but it isn't. Buy it in black. The black fence simply disappears whereas a lighter colour comes to the forefront and becomes the feature you never wanted. Black will also disappear into the hedge you want to grow.

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

Hi Propertunity.  Not a silly idea at all. Hmm… maybe even a really dark green would work well although maybe not as well as black.

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

Hey Boshy,
    As Propertunity has just mentioned, the black pol fencing is the way to go.
    We have just recently done exactly this for a client, and it looks fantastic. We topped the fencing with hardwood to tie it into the carport
    visit our site for pics to see how it looks.

This however will not keep the rabbits out (Think great wall of China) as the panels need to be set off the ground. You could infill this with large stones or the like. Not sure whether domestic rabbits dig as deep as feral rabbits, but may work

good luck

Adrien Mamet

Profile photo of kum yin laukum yin lau
    @kum-yin-lau

Hi, I did pool fencing for the front house & in black. The fence man was a bit dubious at 1st but when he saw the finished item, even he was surprised how good it looked. And there's hardly any difference when I ended up with the cheapest [they were the only ones available immediately] so no need to go for the more expensive designs either.

I 'happened' to notice a banner advertising fencing and took a price list from them [this was in Adelaide] and those prices were cheaper than the list the contractor had [he was going to get them from the manufacturer!]

KY

Participant
    @boshy888

Nice work Adrien!  I would never have thought of topping a black fence with timber.  I think I will have to see how much of a nuisance the rabbits are first.  I have this strong reaction than any rabbit not in a cage or the on the stove is a bad rabbit.  Cute lil guys but oh so destructive.  Might have to try and terrorise it/them with the dog but then after the funtastic chase she'd have no idea what to do with it (not a killer). 

We needed fences in the rural area to keep the roaming goats (which totally destroyed a neighbour's very expensive garden) and horses (and dogs) out.  Now we're back in town it is still the same but it is dogs and rabbits.

Participant
    @boshy888

Great bargain hunting KY. Can't beat that.

Profile photo of madelizabethanmadelizabethan
    @madelizabethan

EBay has some great fencing buys as well. We got a  full picket fence second hand for only $230 when the pickets alone would have cost over $500 in Bunnings, and the rest we just made up from treated pine. There are probably some sellers with your stuff on there as well.

In a rural area, wire fencing is probably not such a bad idea if you can make it look nice. There's nothing worse in a suburban street though!

Profile photo of Ol PaintingOl Painting
    @ol-painting

Definitely pool fencing.

Loop only will the cheapest way, loop & spear – about 15% extra.

Charcoal or navy colours work the best for me.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

There was a segment on Better Homes and Gardens recently where he showed how visually a black fence pool disappears and a white fence stands out like the proverbial

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

There was a segment on Better Homes and Gardens recently where he showed how visually a black fence pool disappears and a white fence stands out like the proverbial

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.