All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Is this double dipping ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of parraboyparraboy
    Participant
    @parraboy
    Hello ,

NEED YOUR ADVICE/KNOWLEDGE please if I may. I own an investment property in Adelaide. In March, I drove from Sydney to Adelaide with the sole purpose of conducting an inspection on the property after some recent work. I drove my vehicle down there and will be claiming accomodation cost etc.

Issue 1 :

I lease a vehicle. It is salary sacraficed through my employer.

Issue 2 :

I understand I already receive a tax incentive for doing this.

QUESTION :

Can I claim the 1400kms each way from Sydney to Adelaide ? Or is that considered double dipping. I used the vehicle, I pay for it, I pay for petrol.

Can someone clarify it for me please before I make a fool of myself with my accountant next month.

in a nutshell can you claim vehicle expenses on salary scaraficed lease vehicles when visiting investment properties.

Thanks guys…..

Rather have a crooked neck for aiming too high than a hunched back from aiming too low

Profile photo of mckeromckero
    Participant
    @mckero

Yes, it would be double dipping.  (I've already asked my accountant that question.)  I'm already getting a tax benefit by salary sacrificing *all* of my vehicle expenses, which is way better than just claiming the kms to and from rental properties.  I would have flown :-) and hired a car over there – that would have been tax deductible – unless you needed the kms for FBT.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

interesting question and answer

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar
    parraboy wrote:
    Can someone clarify it for me please before I make a fool of myself with my accountant next month.

Make a fool of yourself with your accountant.  That's exactly what they are there for.  I make a fool of myself with my accountant on a regular basis (and pay a decent price for the privilege).  Having said that, my accountant saves me a bundle every year.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of YossarianYossarian
    @yossarian

By salary sacrificing, you didn't pay tax on the expense, therefore there is no tax to claim back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.