All Topics / Help Needed! / Whats happening/going to happen to the Melbourne market??

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Profile photo of kris07kris07
    Participant
    @kris07

Hi all,

I just wanted to know what peoples thoughts were in regards to investing at the moment, particularly in the Melbourne market.

Do you think buying now is a good time or wait for the FHBG to be over. Are people expecting the market to crash further? We've seen clearance rates pick up, do you think it will last?

Look forward to hearing from you

Cheers
    Kris

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

BUY before you miss the boat…24k is good money.. tax free

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

According to the SMH prices are set to continue falling throughout Oz. When you read on, they say 18% (avg) from 2003 highs, which is OK provided that you didn't buy at the peak as your losses will be less (if you sell). On the otherhand, you could well be buying at 18% less than what the vendor bought the property for. Add that to the FHBG and you've made a motza (depending how big you think a motza is).

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Kris

General sentiment from experts like Steve McKnight suggest that the buying frenzy will intensify up to Sept 09, when the FHB Boost will be halfed. This will be followed by a weaker frenzy until Dec 09, when the FHB Boost expires. The forward buying by FHBs will likely mean less buying competition from Jan 2010 onwards.

Based on this forecast, one would reasonably expect housing prices to start to fall due to lessen buyer demand. However, some sellers might decide to withdraw from the market, reducing supply and balancing out the demand/supply scale.

With that said, it is always possible to find bargains relative to any market. My wife and I recently purchased an IP at council valuation in early May 09 after 7 mths of searching, and we consider that to be a very good purchase, considering the built-up in the buying frenzy.

Personally, I would say keep your nose in the market now, look around for bargains regardless of FHB Boost. You will find something eventually.

Regards
    Daniel Lee

Profile photo of kris07kris07
    Participant
    @kris07

Thanks for your responses guys.

I should have clarified that I am not a first home buyer. I currently have to 2 properties and looking to buy another, however given the demand in the market at present I'm questioning whether this is the best time to buy..

Profile photo of propertunitypropertunity
    Participant
    @propertunity
    kris07 wrote:
    however given the demand in the market at present I'm questioning whether this is the best time to buy..

The #1 question we get asked all the time: “Is it is a good time to buy now?”

From our Autumn 2009 newsletter:

Low Interest Rates:

Interest rates had been cut again in April by the RBA. Admittedly, only by 0.25%, with less than half that (0.1%) passed on by 3 of the big 4, with the hold-out being NAB which passed none of it on. We believe variable rates will continue to come down. With Westpac saying in their Market Insights Report of April 2009, “We continue to expect the cash rate to fall to 2.0% by year’s end”.

On the flip side, some fixed rates are on the rise because, according to our money market contact, “Interbank swap rate for the 3 and 5 yr products had a bounce and were looking to stay up. This increases the cost of funding to the lender, thus for the lenders to maintain their % margins they must raise by at least the same as the increased cost of funds, or in fact slightly higher”. This of course may just be a bounce.

Credit getting tighter:

The major lenders are now requiring evidence of genuine savings and most have pulled back from 100%, 97% and 95% lends that were around a few months ago. 90% LVR’s are still available but it looks to be scaled back to the standard 80% lends for most of us soon. Some investors see this as a good thing, as only those with the ability to save or draw on other equity (and not actually rely on the FHOG & boost for their entire deposit, as per many First Home Buyers) will qualify for finance.

Short Supply:

The HIA, Australia’s largest building industry association forecasts a shortfall of over 46,000 dwellings in 2008/9 and this is predicted to continue into 2009/10 and 2010/11. According to John Edwards of Residex, NSW has 63% of Australia's unmet demand, Victoria has 16% and WA has 14%.

So this must point to NSW being one of the best places to invest in residential property and goes some way to answering the #2 question we get asked : “Where should I be buying?” But you can’t just buy anywhere in NSW and expect to do well.

Huge Demand:

Demand: The Federal Government did announce a cut in immigration in March: The 14% cut in skilled migrant arrivals is around 18,500 people, or an overall cut of 8.7%, as there were 213,000 permanent overseas migrant arrivals in 2007/08. (according to John Edwards of Residex). However, we believe this will have almost no impact on demand. Why? It is interesting to see what the official figures for immigration do not contain. For example, the official figures do not include arrivals from NZ (as we have a pretty much open border policy with NZ) nor do they include foreign student arrivals (many of the wealthy parents of whom, buy property here for their kids to live in while attending university). We are advised the real immigration figure is something more like 300,000! So a cut of 18,500 is just a drop in the bucket.

Unemployment expected to have no effect on the Housing Recovery:

In our last newsletter we indicated that unemployment was “possibly the only dark cloud on the horizon”. Since then Westpac has published its Market Insights Report of April 2009, which states (in part):

The housing recovery arguably is already on track and the last two recessions confirm that the housing recovery will not be derailed by rising unemployment.

We are happy to defer to the Westpac economists’ view in this instance.

Our View of the Market, in Summary:

We are active in the marketplace every day and we observe 3 distinct markets in 1 at present. The lower end, where First Home Buyers (FHBs) are very, very active has experienced price rises of up to 10% in the last few months. Mid-priced properties are holding steady – no falls or rises but sales being achieved. Top end properties $1M+ are taking a hit of 10 – 20% in some instances. Therefore, all things considered, we believe now to be possibly one of the best times to be buying.

Profile photo of sweeper2009sweeper2009
    @sweeper2009

so accordingly propertunity;

Interest Rate is low and will have further cuts so all good and great here. nevermind where banks got their fund from and nevermind they're independant from RBA and they set their own interest rate if they see it fit

Credit getting tighter is also fantastic because some investors see this as a good thing. forget about  how it may effecting the future demand.

Short Supply according to HIA, an organisation represents the home building industry and have interest in the property market, statistic we are in short supply of housing therefore price will continue to balloon due to short supply and huge demand.

Huge Demand every immigrants, NZ resident living in oz, oversea students ALL wanted to buy  Oz property.

Unemployment has no effects on the housing price either. so really no factors can bring down the house price

Participant
    @propertunity
    sweeper2009 wrote:
    so accordingly propertunity;

Interest Rate is low and will have further cuts so all good and great here. nevermind where banks got their fund from and nevermind they're independant from RBA and they set their own interest rate if they see it fit

The banks might be independant from the RBA but they are operating in an environment where the Govt guarantees their business. Banks also cop political pressure for not passing on rate cuts. So this particular current environment is a bit different from 'normal'.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    Credit getting tighter is also fantastic because some investors see this as a good thing. forget about  how it may effecting the future demand.

Tighter credit criteria means less mortgage defaults because no credit impaired or people pushing the envelope will get funds to buy housing. This will stop a sub-prime USA style scenario. This I think is a good thing.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    Short Supply according to HIA, an organisation represents the home building industry and have interest in the property market, statistic we are in short supply of housing therefore price will continue to balloon due to short supply and huge demand.

Yes they might be biased or they might be right or both.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    Huge Demand every immigrants, NZ resident living in oz, oversea students ALL wanted to buy  Oz property.

Not ALL certainly but I see a lot of overseas parents buying property for their University attending, fee-paying kids. And why wouldn't they? It is cheaper to buy a 3 brm house for $300K near Newcastle Uni than to rent 3 rooms @ $150pw per room per kid in the private market. I see plenty of kiwis buying our stuff too – and we buy theirs – so its only fair.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    Unemployment has no effects on the housing price either. so really no factors can bring down the house price

That is what the economist from Westpac bank said. I am merely defering to someone who should know – as I pointed out.

@sweeper2009
    propertunity wrote:

The banks might be independant from the RBA but they are operating in an environment where the Govt guarantees their business. Banks also cop political pressure for not passing on rate cuts. So this particular current environment is a bit different from 'normal'.

Gov will guarantee banks to stabilize the economy, not to gain control over banks. Banks needs to borrow internationally to provide their usual services and if the borrowing come with higher fee/rate, then this will be passed to the retail borrowers. This is a fact as we've seen last time; RBA dropped the rate but some banks decided to hold the interest rate and gov did nothing.

The govt don't use taxpayer money to guarantee a private organisation(bank) unless it can trigger bigger effects on the economy and this is what matter to them.

propertunity wrote:
    Tighter credit criteria means less mortgage defaults because no credit impaired or people pushing the envelope will get funds to buy housing. This will stop a sub-prime USA style scenario. This I think is a good thing.

Unfortunately the bad is done by the gov FHB boost. People bought over priced property/investment  at a ballooned price. It just a matter of time when the relevant factors kicks in; interest rate up, unemployment up, FHBG ends, recession etc

propertunity wrote:
    Yes they might be biased or they might be right or both.

They might be biased? Maybe you should present your case with a more credible sources.

propertunity wrote:
    Not ALL certainly but I see a lot of overseas parents buying property for their University attending, fee-paying kids. And why wouldn't they? It is cheaper to buy a 3 brm house for $300K near Newcastle Uni than to rent 3 rooms @ $150pw per room per kid in the private market. I see plenty of kiwis buying our stuff too – and we buy theirs – so its only fair.

It's unrealistic to use a single case, how about a proper statistic from a credible source plz.

propertunity wrote:
    That is what the economist from Westpac bank said. I am merely defering to someone who should know – as I pointed out.

I don't know whats in the Westpac report said but all business's forecast based on a model and it not necessary reflecting the real world.

Participant
    @propertunity
    sweeper2009 wrote:
    Gov will guarantee banks to stabilize the economy, not to gain control over banks. Banks needs to borrow internationally to provide their usual services and if the borrowing come with higher fee/rate, then this will be passed to the retail borrowers. This is a fact as we've seen last time; RBA dropped the rate but some banks decided to hold the interest rate and gov did nothing.

That was only a 0.25% cut but if you re-call the previous cut, you will also remember the political pressure put on the banks by Wayne Swan and others at the time. That pressure led to the big 4 passing on all of that particular rate cut despite saying they did not want to / could not afford to.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    The govt don't use taxpayer money to guarantee a private organisation(bank) unless it can trigger bigger effects on the economy and this is what matter to them.

Banks are not private organisations they have shareholders with their shares publicly traded on the ASX. I really do not understand the point you are trying to make here.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    Unfortunately the bad is done by the gov FHB boost. People bought over priced property/investment  at a ballooned price. It just a matter of time when the relevant factors kicks in; interest rate up, unemployment up, FHBG ends, recession etc

I understand your views here, but it is not a view I subscribe to. Only time will tell who ends up being right.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    They might be biased? Maybe you should present your case with a more credible sources.

I think the HIA is a very credible source or you would not get it's opinion's sought out by various research organisations. But virtually every source of data could been seen, by people such as yourself, to have some bias.

propertunity wrote:
    It's unrealistic to use a single case, how about a proper statistic from a credible source plz.

I was not using a statistic! and with all due respect I am a credible source – I work in the industry on a daily basis and am fully licensed and qualified to do so as a Buyers Agent. I am simply reporting my experience in the marketplace.

propertunity wrote:
    I don't know whats in the Westpac report said but all business's forecast based on a model and it not necessary reflecting the real world.

Well perhaps you should READ it first before making comment. The piece I quoted was not a forecast it was a statement about what effect unemployment had on housing recovery after the last two recessions.

@sweeper2009
    propertunity wrote:
    That was only a 0.25% cut but if you re-call the previous cut, you will also remember the political pressure put on the banks by Wayne Swan and others at the time. That pressure led to the big 4 passing on all of that particular rate cut despite saying they did not want to / could not afford to.

does anybody remember what Swan said? "vote with your feet". banks can not afford to run a non-profitable business model and the gov can't force them to do so. the last time bank only drop a smaller margin thats because there was still some room to do so. currently we are in a GFC and CREDIT recession, and banks around the world runs out of money and its harder to borrow.

propertunity wrote:
    Banks are not private organisations they have shareholders with their shares publicly traded on the ASX. I really do not understand the point you are trying to make here.

i was referring to any organisations other than those own by the Govt-truly pub own. our banks are public company but own by "private" investors ie shareholders

propertunity wrote:
    I understand your views here, but it is not a view I subscribe to. Only time will tell who ends up being right.

i wouldn't expect you to, afterall you're "Buyer's Agents" and i can imagine you'd pray for the rosy RE market to continue as it put bread and butter on your table. the fact is the high end of the market has fallen 10%-20% fast and the median market slowly coming down(at least in Vic). the lower end of the market is strong because every FHB rush out  and buy before the FHB boost end and this ultimately ram the demand up.

propertunity wrote:
    I think the HIA is a very credible source or you would not get it's opinion's sought out by various research organisations. But virtually every source of data could been seen, by people such as yourself, to have some bias.

isn't there any other un-bias source you can use? 

propertunity wrote:
    I was not using a statistic! and with all due respect I am a credible source – I work in the industry on a daily basis and am fully licensed and qualified to do so as a Buyers Agent. I am simply reporting my experience in the marketplace.

yes i know but this would be like asking a RE agent for opinion;  to buy or not.

propertunity wrote:
    Well perhaps you should READ it first before making comment. The piece I quoted was not a forecast it was a statement about what effect unemployment had on housing recovery after the last two recessions.

the last 2 recessions is not the same as this 1, this is a GFC we are in and you really need to look this up. banks don't want  properties value to fall as this will damage their balance sheet and it is in their  interest not to P against the wind

Participant
    @propertunity
    sweeper2009 wrote:
    banks can not afford to run a non-profitable business model and the gov can't force them to do so.

Correct – agreed

sweeper2009 wrote:
    currently we are in a GFC and CREDIT recession, and banks around the world runs out of money

We are in a GFC – yes agreed. I don't know what a "CREDIT recession" is – but we are likely heading into a recession – yes. Even though we are not "technically" in a recession yet. BTW, banks are not running out of money, they are just getting fussy about who they lend it out to. At the end of the day, the banks make profits from interest. If they don't lend it out then they cannot make a margin on it.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    and its harder to borrow

Sorry I can't agree. People with steady jobs, cash or equity for deposits are borrowing just the same as they always did. Developers are finding it harder to get funds – yes. If they stopped going broke they might have a better show of getting finance. (Yes – Catch 22 I know)

sweeper2009 wrote:
    i wouldn't expect you to, afterall you're "Buyer's Agents" and i can imagine you'd pray for the rosy RE market to continue as it put bread and butter on your table.

Well No actually. As you say a little later in your posts, it is only the lower end that is really booming. Most of our clients are not FHBs. They do not want to pay us fees to find property for them out of their meagre savings – fair enough – I have no problem with that – especially if they have plenty of free-time to look for themselves.
    We do have some FHBs though as clients and these are generally busy professionals who appreciate how to leverage their time. Overall though I would like the market as an investor to rise (increasing the value of my properties) but as a BA I'd like it to be flat – so I can cherry pick the best properties for my clients and get the best properties for the lowest possible price.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    the fact is the high end of the market has fallen 10%-20% fast

Yes, if they HAVE to sell they are taking a 20% hit

sweeper2009 wrote:
    and the median market slowly coming down(at least in Vic).

Staying flatish here in NSW – this will vary from state to state

sweeper2009 wrote:
    the lower end of the market is strong because every FHB rush out  and buy before the FHB boost end and this ultimately ram the demand up.

Yes – I've seen rises of 5 -10%

sweeper2009 wrote:

I'm open to suggestions :)

sweeper2009 wrote:
    yes i know but this would be like asking a RE agent for opinion;  to buy or not.

Believe it or not, I have actually advised some of our investor clients to hold off buying while the FHB frenzy was on. You just can't compete with FHBs throwing the Feds money at vendors and pay over list price…..or don't want to compete, to be more accurate.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    the last 2 recessions is not the same as this 1,

I'm sorry I do not subscribe to the "it is all going to be different this time" theory. I'm too old – I've seen too many recessions come and go. They're all the same – I don't care to participate.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    this is a GFC we are in and you really need to look this up.

I have looked it up. We get 7 -10 year economic cycles that go RE cycle, share market cycle, cash cycle (recession if you like), RE cycle etc etc. same old, same old. Learn to see it and profit from it. On top of this cycle you have an 80 year deep recession (depression) cycle. Last one was 1930's and surprise, surprise just about 80 years on – here we are again. Its more of the same – no surprises.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    banks don't want  properties value to fall as this will damage their balance sheet and it is in their  interest

Which is why – as I started at the beginning of my posts, that I think it is a good time to buy RE. If the conservative old banks are happy to lend to good borrowers for RE (and they are). I'm happy to take their cheap money and invest. Simple as that.

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Propertunity

I would like to augment your view on 'wealthy foreign students' and their parents buying up properties. Being a former 'foreign student' myself, I can say from personal experience that (assuming a sample size of 100 foreign students):

1 – The majority of foreign students (around 90%) do not come from wealthy families, but that many families make huge sarcifices to send their child over, in the believe that an overseas qualification is perceived more valuable in their home country.  

2 – The same vast majority of foreign students actually go back to their home country once their studies are completed.

3 – Of the remaining 10% of foreign students, some do purchase cars for travel.

4 – A tiny portion, around 1-2% do end up getting their parents to purchase a property, which is usually sold off once their child leaves the country for home.

Most foreign students simply rent, and that profits RE investors.

Regards
    Daniel Lee

Participant
    @propertunity

Thank-you for the insight Daniel – I'm pleased to have my knowledge base augmented.  Maybe I'm hanging around with too many foreign investors? :)

daniellee wrote:
    Most foreign students simply rent, and that profits RE investors.

This then surley supports my argument that foreign student "immigration" just adds to housing demand – albeit rental housing demand…..and yes that is supplied by investors.

Cheers Daniel.

@sweeper2009
    propertunity wrote:

We are in a GFC – yes agreed. I don't know what a "CREDIT recession" is – but we are likely heading into a recession – yes. Even though we are not "technically" in a recession yet. BTW, banks are not running out of money, they are just getting fussy about who they lend it out to. At the end of the day, the banks make profits from interest. If they don't lend it out then they cannot make a margin on it.

I think you missed the point and really need to look at this GFC at a global level. as i said earlier aust banks borrow internationally(oversea) to continue fund their lending in OZ and to investors and businesses to get the OZ economy going.  i believe this is where the govts guarantee play an important roll and how the OZ banks were able to borrow internationally, os loans is secured by the OZ taxpayer money.

propertunity wrote:
    Sorry I can't agree. People with steady jobs, cash or equity for deposits are borrowing just the same as they always did. Developers are finding it harder to get funds – yes. If they stopped going broke they might have a better show of getting finance. (Yes – Catch 22 I know)

i was referring to oz banks and the tightening of the global credit. ie 'credit recession'. if you look back a few months ago, in the USA there were at least 1 bank declare bankrupt each week and this was because they're simply OUT OF MONEY and were unable to borrow(no govt guarantee protection) . this credit issue is also the main contributor to many construction company and larger business bankruptcy

propertunity wrote:

Well No actually. As you say a little later in your posts, it is only the lower end that is really booming. Most of our clients are not FHBs. They do not want to pay us fees to find property for them out of their meagre savings – fair enough – I have no problem with that – especially if they have plenty of free-time to look for themselves.
    We do have some FHBs though as clients and these are generally busy professionals who appreciate how to leverage their time. Overall though I would like the market as an investor to rise (increasing the value of my properties) but as a BA I'd like it to be flat – so I can cherry pick the best properties for my clients and get the best properties for the lowest possible price.

yah but Kris was asking the question here. buy or not?  the top and mid end of housing market is just beginning to fall and you recommended your client to lock in already? all doom, gloom, recession over? i am sorry we're after all not 'technically' in a recession

propertunity wrote:

sweeper2009 wrote:
    the lower end of the market is strong because every FHB rush out  and buy before the FHB boost end and this ultimately ram the demand up.

Yes – I've seen rises of 5 -10%

Then surely you can't conclude and recommand Kris to buy at this time as you did earlier in your post  " we believe now to be possibly one of the best times to be buying."

propertunity wrote:
    sweeper2009 wrote:

I'm open to suggestions :)

how about ABS?

propertunity wrote:
    Believe it or not, I have actually advised some of our investor clients to hold off buying while the FHB frenzy was on. You just can't compete with FHBs throwing the Feds money at vendors and pay over list price…..or don't want to compete, to be more accurate.

getting confuse here so should Kris buy or not?

propertunity wrote:

I'm sorry I do not subscribe to the "it is all going to be different this time" theory. I'm too old – I've seen too many recessions come and go. They're all the same – I don't care to participate.

but have you seen a recession where govt have to resorted to use taxpayer money to guarantee a private interest companies as huge as BANKS-considered it as safe bluechip co.

propertunity wrote:

sweeper2009 wrote:
    this is a GFC we are in and you really need to look this up.

I have looked it up. We get 7 -10 year economic cycles that go RE cycle, share market cycle, cash cycle (recession if you like), RE cycle etc etc. same old, same old. Learn to see it and profit from it. On top of this cycle you have an 80 year deep recession (depression) cycle. Last one was 1930's and surprise, surprise just about 80 years on – here we are again. Its more of the same – no surprises.

GFC = Global Finacial Crisis. i'd assumed you didn't experience the last depression?

propertunity wrote:

sweeper2009 wrote:
    banks don't want  properties value to fall as this will damage their balance sheet and it is in their  interest

Which is why – as I started at the beginning of my posts, that I think it is a good time to buy RE. If the conservative old banks are happy to lend to good borrowers for RE (and they are). I'm happy to take their cheap money and invest. Simple as that.

bank has an interest of conflict and you need to be wary of their interpretation of their report. unfortunately banks can not enforce market outcome and they recently have write down massive loss due to their oversea property investment and the local market just starting to fall from the top end.

Participant
    @propertunity
    sweeper2009 wrote:
    Then surely you can't conclude and recommand Kris to buy at this time as you did earlier in your post  " we believe now to be possibly one of the best times to be buying."

I'm going to answer this point only, because it was the subject of the thread to start with (and I am having difficulty understanding what point/s you are trying to make).

Should Kris buy now?
    If in the $1M+ stuff – sure Kris can pick up a bargain – a good property at a 20% discount from distressed sellers.
    In the $600K – $900K bracket – sure. Plenty to pick from, plenty of time to make a choice, time to negotiate hard, not much competition.
    In the sub-$500K bracket where FHBs are? I think the big rush to buy & the frenzy has died down a bit. The Feds are offering free money – take it. I don't see the price of a $350K property coming down. As per my previous posts, rent is the same as buying for a property in this price range. Investors are back in propping up prices also. If Kris waits for the market in this price range to crash, I think it will end in tears. Hoping for a market crash is not a wealth creation strategy in my opinion.

@sweeper2009

propertunity,

i respect your opinion but i have to disagree with you.

Kris asked if this is a good time to buy or wait until the FHBG boost over, since you acknowledged the frenzy is still there, considering she isn't gona get the FHBG, wouldn't it be wiser to buy after the FHBG  expired and demand down?

your point "I don't see the price of a $350K property coming down" well not long ago who would have thought property price would fall at all?

while the interest rate is low and cheap for now, ultimately like the stock market it's the money market controls the interest rate, not govt nor RBA. so be prepared and invest wisely.

Participant
    @propertunity
    sweeper2009 wrote:
    propertunity, i respect your opinion but i have to disagree with you.

I was expecting that to be the case from the tone of your last posts – you seem to have made up your mind already. BUt at least you have an opinion.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    Kris asked if this is a good time to buy or wait until the FHBG boost over, since you acknowledged the frenzy is still there, considering she isn't gona get the FHBG, wouldn't it be wiser to buy after the FHBG  expired and demand down?

No. What I said was the frenzy had "died down a bit". If you are of the view that the ONLY thing holding up prices in the lower end is the FHBG/B then Yes – hold off. But FHBs only represent up to 27% of the buyers in the market (in a frenzy) and only 22% in a normal market. That still leaves over 70% of purchases being made by non-FHB. My suspicions are that when the Boost is removed there will be enough normal buyers and a good number of investors (who I know have stood off on the sidelines waiting for the Boost to go away) buying and supporting prices. The holding costs for many of these properties are virtually zero which is why I see investors back in now.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    your point "I don't see the price of a $350K property coming down" well not long ago who would have thought property price would fall at all?

Who would have thought? Well lots of people, like me, who have seen a number of cycles I suppose. Prices always overshoot in a boom, then come off, then flatten out, then rise again – pretty normal for the cycle as far as I can see.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    while the interest rate is low and cheap for now, ultimately like the stock market it's the money market controls the interest rate, not govt nor RBA. so be prepared and invest wisely.

I agree, that is always good advice. One thing you can do to protect yourself against future rate rises is to lock in a fixed rate for 10 – 12 years now. Especially if you have no plans to sell and are a long term buy & holder.

@sweeper2009

please do not hold it personal. there is nothing better than a honest opinion

propertunity wrote:
    No. What I said was the frenzy had "died down a bit". If you are of the view that the ONLY thing holding up prices in the lower end is the FHBG/B then Yes – hold off. But FHBs only represent up to 27% of the buyers in the market (in a frenzy) and only 22% in a normal market. That still leaves over 70% of purchases being made by non-FHB. My suspicions are that when the Boost is removed there will be enough normal buyers and a good number of investors (who I know have stood off on the sidelines waiting for the Boost to go away) buying and supporting prices. The holding costs for many of these properties are virtually zero which is why I see investors back in now.

i'd like to know where you get the data from. assuming you're right with the numbers, do you or do not agree, even with 27% of FHB in the market can significant push the price higher? again is it Kris best interest to hold off?

propertunity wrote:
    Who would have thought? Well lots of people, like me, who have seen a number of cycles I suppose. Prices always overshoot in a boom, then come off, then flatten out, then rise again – pretty normal for the cycle as far as I can see.

this is interesting. what commodity are you referring to? assuming you're referring to property, do you have anything to backup your argument on the 2 recent cycles and it relevant to property value fall? as fair as i know all spruikers continue selling their glory statistic-property price double every 7 years!

you talk about cycle but the market has just starting to fall from the top end and the bottom of the cycle is no where in sight, you're advising people to buy? that was my critic to your original post.

fact; dooms and glooms are not over, we are not officially out of the recession(unless you believe  the govt's feel good medicine-we're not in recession 'technically' ), unemployment will continue to rise, markets uncertainty, bank lending tighten, world hunger for money and will eventually drive the interest rate up etc.

Participant
    @propertunity
    sweeper2009 wrote:
    i'd like to know where you get the data from. assuming you're right with the numbers, do you or do not agree, even with 27% of FHB in the market can significant push the price higher?

Sure 30% of the market can have an effect but 70% of the market has a bigger effect in my opinion. Data is published by the ABS and other data collectors and reporting agencies.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    again is it Kris best interest to hold off?

Asked and answered; Kris should buy in my opinion.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    this is interesting. what commodity are you referring to?

How many guesses do you want? Property obviously – this is a property forum isn't it?.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    as fair as i know all spruikers continue selling their glory statistic-property price double every 7 years!

Property in Australia has doubled every 7 – 12 years for the last 140 years. But it does not do that in a linear fashion. It booms, it goes flat or slightly neg or slightly pos for a few years (plateaus) and then goes ups quickly again. The last 2 years of a 10 year cycle can see 40% of the growth.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    fact; dooms and glooms are not over,

So what? doom & gloomers can be found in every part of the cycle – irrelevant

sweeper2009 wrote:
    we are not officially out of the recession

recessions are part of the cycle – read my previous posts. recessions are irrelevant to investing, they are part of the economic cycle.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    unemployment will continue to rise,

Yes that is what happens in the recession part of the economic cycle – irrelevant.

sweeper2009 wrote:
    markets uncertainty, bank lending tighten, world hunger for money and will eventually drive the interest rate up etc.

Yes, which is why I suggested that if you are investing that you mitigate that risk, by fixing the interest rate on all or part of your loans.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.