All Topics / Value Adding / Side Fence

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of PropertyPaulPropertyPaul
    @propertypaul

Hi,

I just had a new side fence installed and now need to either build a small fence or add a gate at the front of the property to close off the gap between the fence and the side of the house (I hope that makes sense!)

The fencer quoted me $250!!!

It could not be more than 4 feet wide.

Can I just buy a pre-made gate or something similar from Bunnings to install myself?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

PP

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I have seen Bunnings having gates that can be purchased in parts and wielded or screwed together to make whatever size gate .

It was sort of in the last aisles near the timber section.

Yes! , I do spend a lot of time at Bunnings my kids like the playground plus I have worked for them doing stock takes.

Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

measure the height and width of the gate required and go to bunnings or similar. They have a range of un-assembled steel frames that can be assembled to almost any size. They are pre-hinged also. Cost $60 – $80. You will also need pickets or pailings to clad the frame, some screws suited for going into steel. And maybe a post to hang the gate off, concrete for the hole also.

When you account for your time to pick up and assemble the gate $250 might seem cheap.

Participant
    @duckster
    Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates
    jazz77 wrote:

measure the height and width of the gate required and go to bunnings or similar. They have a range of un-assembled steel frames that can be assembled to almost any size. They are pre-hinged also. Cost $60 – $80. You will also need pickets or pailings to clad the frame, some screws suited for going into steel. And maybe a post to hang the gate off, concrete for the hole also.

When you account for your time to pick up and assemble the gate $250 might seem cheap.

Current Bunnings cattledog shows the steel framed gate (adjustable size) is $105. As pointed out elsewhere $250 sounds cheap & a no effort solution.

Profile photo of PropertyPaulPropertyPaul
    @propertypaul

Interesting. How much would the timber cost to build it myself?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It depends upon what you use eg 1 sheet of fibre cement 1200 x 2400 cut in half to face both sides will cost $25-$30, DAR hardwood will set you back $7/m and you will need 12 or so lengths @ 1.2 m, then you will have the choice paint or stain. You will probably have to get yourself a couple of posts for the gate to be hung off and to close up against, maybe a few expanding fixings (dynabolts).

The chippy/fencer sounds like a cheap option.

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

haha duckster I have done Bunnings stocktakes as well, good money and they feed and water you  very dusty though

Participant
    @duckster
    maree_bradross wrote:
    haha duckster I have done Bunnings stocktakes as well, good money and they feed and water you  very dusty though

Wasn't expecting them to feed me it came as a nice surprise.
    I found it was a bit humid in the store when I did it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.